Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hey folks,

I promised this would be released today but I am still awaiting the clearer audio file from Mr @Lockhart so I can get a passable copy out on the podcast feed. Comcast are doing their best to make recording difficult but we endure.

As I don't have the audio file I thought I would release the YouTube video to you today and follow up with an audio release when I get the file (hopefully tomorrow).

There are a few rules snafus in there as we work our way through things but I think we should be on top of things by next session :)

Featuring:
Lindsay as Marigold Mudpetal - Stout Halfling Rogue specializing in Stealth, Perception, and Thieves Tools and wielding 2 shortswords to great effect
Thing as Thror Rumnaheim - Mountain Dwarf Cleric of Moradin
Heather as Heleh Thornvast - High Elf Wizard using ranged attack spells to aid the party
Nick as Guybrush Threpwood - Wood Elf Rogue so awesome he even managed to steal his name. Specializing in Archery and Acrobatics
Lockhart as Roderick Hellbeater - Human Fighter of the Protector variety - clearly he has some kind of death wish

Hal as the Dungeon Master trying to hold it all together and learn the rules as we go.

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#2 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

BTW, this is about rolling and keeping: 

https://wiki.roll20....nce#Drop.2FKeep

/roll 2d20kl1 would be for disadvantage (that is [k]eep [l]owest)

Otherwise it's /roll 2d20k1 or /roll 2d20kh1 for advantage ( that is [k]eep [h]ighest, the default keep).

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

I Googled it yesterday and figured it out :D

It is pretty nice having a dice system that does all that for you - I even figured out how to do Rolemaster dice in the system :) Just saying!

What did you think of the session and the system and the characters?

#4 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

I'd like to see more of what the mage can do.

I like the Advantage / Disadvantage mechanic, and can see that healing and death is going to take a little getting used to.

#5 nele

nele

always in shadow

• Patrons
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

Other than the audio problem and some rule mishaps (you corrected your self later on) it was quite entertaining.
Sure, there wasn't opportunity for huge RP moments, but what you got from dice rolls was quite funny. (Guybrush getting 2 hit KO'ed by a goblin :D).
Hm, I guess it pays to have in mind that you can split your movement between your attacks and actions (like fighter's extra attacks, or two weapon fighting). So you don't have to unload everything against one target. Oh and that creatures also provide cover, friend or foe, they give half-cover.

Regarding the system. Overall I like the streamlined parts. That everything keys off proficiency bonus and your ability modifier. Only adding some extra stuff in certain circumstances. Or how the different pluses and minuses are replaced with all encompassing advantage/disadvantage. This is even when factoring "resistance". As you don't have to keep track of actual numbers (like resist 10 radiant, 5 fire, etc). Now it's only "if creature resist something, they take half-damage of that". Sure, you can't have situations where you ignore small amounts of damage and mitigate larger ones. But overall it sure does keep down the bookkeeping, so I think the trade off is worth it.

If people want even more streamlined system, I would recommend Dungeon World. I have been playing and enjoying it past few months with my group. It is quite different system than you average simulation RPG (like D&D).

Oh, regarding roll20. I would suggest making macros for the most common actions you would be doing. Like initiative, attacks and damage. There are some nifty things you can do.

#6 Nick T. Vegan

Nick T. Vegan

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

I did not find guybrush's two hit goblin KO to be funny at all. Just sayin.

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:03 AM

I did not find guybrush's two hit goblin KO to be funny at all. Just sayin.

It was, however, entirely appropriate for a character called Guybrush Threepwood. :)

cmicostume23.png

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

Guybrush showing that he has all the lethal combat ability we associate with Basil Brush :)

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Ha ha :) I'm sure he will shine in the next session.... right Nick?

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

Ha ha :) I'm sure he will shine in the next session.... right Nick?

Absolutely! Mostly due to the build-up of a goblin-fist-induced piezoelectric charge, of course. ;)

#11 Nick T. Vegan

Nick T. Vegan

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I will say and with as little spoiler info as possible that after some really crap luck, shit rolls, and near mental breakdowns I positively murder the ever loving shit out of a goblin.

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I positively murder the ever loving shit out of a goblin.

Is that a euphemism for: "Threepwood fumbled so hard that the goblin soiled itself laughing, and died from the explosive diarrhea"? ;)

#13 Nick T. Vegan

Nick T. Vegan

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

No, clearly I said after all the horrible shit happens do I murder him. Also I dont think there are too many courts that would consider your death description as murder.

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

Well, it's good to hear that you're so eager to live up to your reputation as a "folk hero". ;)

#15 Nick T. Vegan

Nick T. Vegan

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Folk hero is a pretty ambiguous term. Beowulf murdered the fuck out of monsters. Jim Bowie, Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone were all folk heroes who got down to killing when killing needed to be done.

#16 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Just not a hero of the goblin folk :P

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

dhs2.jpg

#18 Nick T. Vegan

Nick T. Vegan

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another. - Malcolm Reynolds

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnd5r, dnd next, starter set, lost mine of phandelver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge