Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Hey folks,

I managed to snag me a copy of the Dungeons and Dragons 5e Starter Set from Swords and Superheroes in Kingwood thanks to @TheGlen (of Dwarven Bardic Fame).

Thought it might be a nice start to the process to do an unboxing. I am quite happy with the look for the set. The art looks a lot more serious than 4e, which I always thought was a little too cartoony. The books seem well arranged and well written and even the dice appear to be of decent quality.

If you like the video - or even if you think it is useful please share it so we can pull more folks over to the site to help us chat about DnD 5e and all the other awesome games we play.

I am hoping to get a playtest of the Lost Mines of Phandelver as soon as I find some players to subject to it :P

Let me know what you think of the short video and feel free to share it all over the social media interwebs :)

Happy 4th of July :D

Hal :hal:

#2 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

And if you pause in the right place, you can see the maps of the adventure and spoil it for yourself! Hint: it contains encounters!

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Ha ha :)

I tried not to show the map for too long :P

Just finished the Closed Captions in case my accent sounds funny :D

#4 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

Look forward to the module going live. Will need to read the basic rules pdf at some point, for sure. 4e did not pique my interest in the slightest, so it'll be interesting to see if 5e goes forwards or backwards.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Just finished reading the Starter Set rulebook and it it seems much more like a hybrid between ADnD 2nd Edition and 3.5.

Some interesting ideas and more importantly, it doesn't require minis or a battlemat for combat - which makes it a lot better for recording on audio as it reduces the, "I move there", syndrome :)

So far I am liking it but I will have to see how it plays to be super sure :)

#6 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

...it seems much more like a hybrid between ADnD 2nd Edition and 3.5.

Does that mean the return of...

<cue ominous music>

THAC0?

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

No - no THAC0 this time around :)

The dice system is still D20 + Ability Score Modifier but you are either proficient with the skill or not and that adds a static bonus. 

There is now also Advantage and Disadvantage. If you have Advantage in a specific situation you roll 2d20 and keep the highest. If you have Disadvantage you roll 2d20 and keep the lowest.

I'll be interested to see how it works in action.

#8 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

That sounds interesting. I look forward to listening to the playthrough.

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'll see if I can get a character creation video or audio going at some point today if you guys would be interested in that.

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Has anyone posted this anywhere other than here? Be good to spread the word but I always feel bad posting it on other sites as it feels too much like promo :)

(nudge, nudge)

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Twitter, of course. Also I've linked to it over on ODD74. 45 views and no comments so far... desert-smiley.gif

EDIT: And added a mention over at the Trollbridge.

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I have been surprised by the lack of HUZZAH online this time around. I wonder if it means the death knell has been tolled?

The character I drew up last night was actually pretty interesting. It seems to have some background and defined principles with help the roleplaying along and the system seems fairly light.

Getting characters drawn up with the group and then we will take on the start of the Starter Set adventure on Tuesday evening so look out for it on Wednesday.

#13 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

It's interesting. 4e doesn't seem more than five minutes old but apparently came out in 2008! Like many people I didn't think it seemed like D&D at all and ignored it. Fans of 3e (which I must say I also don't think bears much resemblance to D&D) moved on to Pathfinder... and they may well stay there. If that's the case then establishing the new edition as the role-playing standard game for our time may be an impossible dream.

So far it looks much more interesting than 4e did from my point of view, but having said that I don't need it and shan't be buying it. I'll be intrigued to see who the core audience for this version is.

#14 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

Ah... "Lost Mine of Phandelver". That sounds like the D&D we're all used to. I look forward to hearing it. The cover of the starter box reminds me of the covers of the Rules Cyclopedia, and the 1991 basic D&D boxed set, which I think was intentional. I like the more traditional art style.

... it seems much more like a hybrid between ADnD 2nd Edition and 3.5.

From reading through the pdf rules, it seems more like a cross between basic D&D and 3rd ed./3.5/pathfinder. Which isn't a bad thing. I would probably be happy to play it, if someone were running a local game, but I don't see anything that would make me advocate for someone to run it. Pathfinder, Shadowrun, or FATE are doing a much better job of making me want to play them.

I don't think it means the death knell, though, just that WotC has bunged things up enough that there will be some serious 'wait and see'-ing going on before it gets the full show of whatever love it deserves.

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

Some interesting ideas and more importantly, it doesn't require minis or a battlemat for combat - which makes it a lot better for recording on audio as it reduces the, "I move there", syndrome :)

Unfortunately, that means the fans will have no incentive to watch the 'Tube vids, since the lack of miniature combat means there won't be any added content in the videos compared to podcast. There's only one solution: you're going to have to get Thing to play the whole game topless. ;) "The RPGMP3 Boob-Tube" has a nice ring to it, don'tcha think?

No - no THAC0 this time around :)

However, they have introduced a curious new game mechanic called the "QUESARIT0". ;)

There is now also Advantage and Disadvantage. If you have Advantage in a specific situation you roll 2d20 and keep the highest. If you have Disadvantage you roll 2d20 and keep the lowest.

Of course, anyone who can't wait for Hal to record something could check out the Pretend Wizards, who've posted over two dozen episodes of their D&D 5e campaign, and have used the advantage/disadvantage "roll 2d20" rule on many occasions.

Ah... "Lost Mine of Phandelver". That sounds like the D&D we're all used to. I look forward to hearing it. The cover of the starter box reminds me of the covers of the Rules Cyclopedia, and the 1991 basic D&D boxed set, which I think was intentional. I like the more traditional art style.

522cd0c6b02e32cf7474f7472c93ba26-advance

I don't think it means the death knell, though, just that WotC has bunged things up enough [...]

200px-Cornholio.jpg

D&D for my bunghole!

#16 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

522cd0c6b02e32cf7474f7472c93ba26-advance

Not that traditional.

#17 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Rob Donoghue is working his way through the starter set and writing about it as he goes on his blog, The Walking Mind.

Plenty of thoughtful observations as always and a very good look at the product in reasonable depth.

#18 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Too much fun!

I had a look at it as well. :-)

#19 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Ha ha - I never thought I would see you review DnD :D

#20 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

Ha ha - I never thought I would see you review DnD :D Good job :)

I am quite liking it so far - we have only run one session but the rules are so so so much better than 4e was and a lot less crunchy that 3rd.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnd5e, dnd next, starter set, unboxing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge