#81 Manchine

Manchine

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:05 PM

Okay, here we go. WALL OF TEXT REMOVED!

My opinion.  Pretty much I have played some 3, 3.5, and 4th.  I played 1st and 2nd edition a lot.  5th seems to take 2nd edition and take the better parts of the other editions and combined them.  Everything seems to be better and faster.  Will it be better then Pathfinder, I say yes.  The gaming community as a whole might be different opinion.  =)

#82 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

I think there are two groups of folks. There are folks who have been gaming a long time who remember ADnD and earlier who are really going to like 5e because it feel right to how they started gaming. Then there are people who came to gaming after 3e who are not going to like it as much because their gaming is more about character development and having 4 million options to fine tune a character exactly the way you want it and 5e will feel a little raw and incomplete.

Personally I quite like it :)

Hal :hal:

#83 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

My experience of DnD is all 3.5

I got put off 4th by all the edition wars rubbish that was around and so skipped it. With hindsight it seems an interesting game with some good concepts. At some point I'll find time to play! Pathfinder looked interesting to me but I never got around to it due to my life having too many other games at that stage.

As for 5th, I will look into it. I have enjoyed listening to 5th ed audio, more so than Pathfinder and 4th actual play. Whether this means it is a better game, I don't know but the players seem to be have plenty of fun :)

#84 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:15 AM

Has anyone else noticed this in the D&D 5E PHB?

So on page 73 of the PHB is a picture of a Wizard and a Knight fighting a Hydra which a bunch of runes underneath.

Turns out those are Elder Futhark runes. Turns out my friend can read Elder Futhark (its only mostly a dead language). Turns out the first seven words are This is photoshops version of Lorem Ipsum and of course the rest is meaningless.

Well played Wizards.

#85 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

#86 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

A Low-Math System for Character Advancement, Adventure Pacing and Treasure Allocation for 5e

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not intimately familiar with D&D 5e: I’ve given the Basic rules a read and they look fine, just not something I’m willing to invest myself in over the dozens of other games I’ve got. That said, it’s still given the amateur designer in me some food for thought, and I’ve decided to dedicate some of my ideas to paper.

[Click this link for] a system that tries to strike a nice balance between bean-counting experience and more narrative “You level up when appropriate to the story” systems.

#87 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

tumblr_inline_nsov28si9o1run4hj_540.png

#88 katheb

katheb

Kobold

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:17 AM

I got the 5th core rulebook,

I think I like it, have not tested it out in a game but it looks OK for me so far.

#89 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

#90 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

Actually the final boss of D&D is the Invisible Christopher Walken. (beware the languages)

#91 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:27 AM

#92 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

A couple sessions ago I did my best to kill at least one party member with a white dragon. Everyone was super scared and it got pretty dicey for a bit. I managed to drop a few people down to 0, though there was a healer running around picking them up so that everyone survived.

Tonight they face a green dragon and up to about 20 dudes, including some ettins and a boss elf guy, and I can make the lair entangle them. I often joke that I want to outright kill a party member because I've never done it before, but tonight I am actually super concerned that I'm about to wipe them out completely.

#93 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

I found it hard to knock the party down to a point where a character might die when we played Phandelver. There were times when characters dropped but I think the system is pretty kind of character death.

#94 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:15 AM

I found it hard to knock the party down to a point where a character might die when we played Phandelver.

My experience as well. One character kept getting stamped on by dragons and even then survived and recovered absurdly quickly. A mistake, I think, in an edition which otherwise had much going for it.

#95 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

I don't mind it to be honest - it is nice to have some safety net there. If a party member goes down in a fight the rest of the party have to either rush to help, hope they manage their saves and stabilize or hope they can finish the fight before they die.

It also encourages the DM to look at coup de grace on felled foes a little more.

Really like 5e to be honest. Feels like roleplaying again rather than being ridden by the system...

#96 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:55 PM

Is the 5e barbarian wearing a waistcoat?

I suppose lack of civilisation is no excuse not to look fabulous!

#97 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:01 AM

Is the 5e barbarian wearing a waistcoat?

I suppose lack of civilisation is no excuse not to look fabulous!

tumblr_n0fso0bACm1r5yty8o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n0fso0bACm1r5yty8o2_1280.jpg
tumblr_n0fso0bACm1r5yty8o3_1280.jpg

#98 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

Anyone thinking Conina?  ;-)

#99 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

There's an interesting piece on playing a year of 5th edition over at The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.

#100 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:06 AM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnd next, dnd5e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge