• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

Liking the new feel of the game. It's incomplete I understand that. It feels like 2.5. Very clean and immersive. The built in scaling for the spells is great, no more metamagic. Mandrake the Maniacal Magic Missile Maniac is now a very real character. Electrum is back. Electrum to me is like the round things to the Doctor. No idea what they really do, but I love them. I've broken Thamauturgy, using it so the elf wizard sounds like BRIAN BLESSED constantly with the perpetual 3x volume level. So much to like. Pathfinder feels bloated, 3.5 was nice but collapsed under its own weight. Can't wait to see the full version.

#135. I cannot demand payment in electrum, backrubs or bubblewrap.

#22 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

Just got finished with the first game.  6 items were added to the List.

I will not name my character Bab Thaco.

If our expenses are to be reimbursed, we are not to turn the adventure into a transcontinental epic quest.

Especially if the adventure was originally clean out the goblins from the cave.

The Thaumaturgy spell is not to be used for: BRIAN BLESSED impersonations, slamming the door on people wanting to tell me about their religion, the clapper.

We aren't going to start 5th edition by waking up and finding Mystra in the shower.
Bring the goblins to justice doesn't mean knock them all out and then march them back for a public apology.

Ah - I see you spotted the option to knock out anyone you drop to zero HP. I think I am taking up a policy of cyanide capsules for all NPCs in future :P

Otherwise we are going to get bogged down in pointless chat attempts with faceless Goblins for 30 sessions.

Hal :hal:

#23 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Otherwise we are going to get bogged down in pointless chat attempts with faceless Goblins for 30 sessions.

Yeah, because who would want to have a conversation with a goblin, of all creatures? It probably has absolutely nothing of value to offer the party, and has a silly name like... Splug, or something. ;)

#24 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Splug was pretty awesome - and looking forward in this adventure I may get another Goblin opportunity :P

#25 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Not if you keep feeding them cyanide capsules, you won't. :P

#26 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

#135. I cannot demand payment in electrum, backrubs or bubblewrap.

I shall amend the list.

#27 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Disregard

#28 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

You could probably make a reasonable demand to be payed in bubble wrap if you're playing Gamma World. Claiming payment in backrubs sounds like more of a LARP thing.

#29 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

As I rather expected, the more of 5e that is revealed, the less I like it :(

Things started well, but we're quickly back to Feats and endless classes. It's the nature of the beast, I suspect. The main buyers of D&D appear to want lots of mechanical differences between character, tons of magic items and limitless exceptions and special cases; and that's OK, but it does mean I can't see myself playing it. At least there has been an effort to make the rules more modular, but again the push from some players and certainly in supporting products will always be to add this or that in, so before you know it you're using all of the rules and options. Always amuses me that D&D players accuse the Hero system of complexity when it's nowhere near as complicated as D&D has become. The moment they started teasing additional character classes I realised that it couldn't work for me. I actually don't mind character classes, but if you have to keep adding new ones to do extra things then I'd argue that you'd be better off having a more freeform skill system instead.

Some of the revised rules look pretty good, particularly the very elegant advantage/disadvantage mechanic, but just as I always preferred D&D to AD&D so I find the stripped down introductory rules much more appealing than the full product. Of course, some will argue that I could simply play without using all of the options, but in that case I might as well stick to something like Tunnels & Trolls :D

#30 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

As I rather expected, the more of 5e that is revealed, the less I like it :(

Things started well, but we're quickly back to Feats and endless classes. It's the nature of the beast, I suspect. The main buyers of D&D appear to want lots of mechanical differences between character, tons of magic items and limitless exceptions and special cases; and that's OK, but it does mean I can't see myself playing it. At least there has been an effort to make the rules more modular, but again the push from some players and certainly in supporting products will always be to add this or that in, so before you know it you're using all of the rules and options. Always amuses me that D&D players accuse the Hero system of complexity when it's nowhere near as complicated as D&D has become. The moment they started teasing additional character classes I realised that it couldn't work for me. I actually don't mind character classes, but if you have to keep adding new ones to do extra things then I'd argue that you'd be better off having a more freeform skill system instead.

Some of the revised rules look pretty good, particularly the very elegant advantage/disadvantage mechanic, but just as I always preferred D&D to AD&D so I find the stripped down introductory rules much more appealing than the full product. Of course, some will argue that I could simply play without using all of the options, but in that case I might as well stick to something like Tunnels & Trolls :D

Indeed, I rather predicted from the start that Basic D&D would be a far cry from the game as intended/played by the majority. I'm also disappointed that the kit includes very little for actually DMing. No monsters, encounter building stuff. And that information is going to be delayed until November or December if I recall correctly. I suppose it's a clever way of forcing GMs to buy starter kits and modules for their games to get an idea how the game is meant to be run, but a bit of a bad move in my opinion all the same.

The basic system, is aggreably simple and elegant to learn. Though they have made some boggling choices on where to simplify and where to keep minutia (I'm looking at you adventuring gear), The combat system allows it to be played with a good balance of strategic thinking, but not getting bogged down with additional side rules. Moving before, during, or after actions. The free 'item manipulation' once per turn. Reducing opportunity attacks to a very specific situation. That being said, without detailed battlefields with options or a GM that encourages the Improvise Action mechanics, combat has seemed a bit chesslike, simple, and repetitive, especially for the non-magic characters. While it's understandable that at first level, Dodging, moving, and attacks are expected from such non--magic characters at low levels, and likewise the opportunity for mages to drastically effect the battlefield with spells are limited, at higher levels it seems like, in Basic at least, Fighters and Rogues are still using the attack action for the majority of their combat conribution, while clerics and wizards have numerous options that they can use quite liberally. Not a new problem, but one that, in the fifth edition, I would've hoped they could've figured out a better solution for in even the basic game.

I'm also not a fan of how very swingy the game seems. Even more than earlier editions, it seems your results depend on the luck of the dice. For pretty much all classes, the modifiers don't change for four levels at a time, where they might go up by 1 or two at the most. Crits are automatic on natural twenties, so rolling a few in a row can drastically turn a battle into a meatgrinder for either the party or the enemies. This certainly makes the advantage/disadvantage more than just a nice mechanic, but basically a goal in order to reliably have a chance to succeed on actions or shut down opponents. The slippery goblin of Session 2 is a good example. despite most of the party attacking it, dice rolls were cold, and we just couldn't get hits on it. Admittedly, understandable for level 1, but the fact remains that until we hit level 4, our attack bonuses are going to remain the same, and we're likely going to be fighting creatures with increasing stats nonetheless, so I expect we will have more situations of slippery foes because of it.

#31 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

It was interesting listening to your game and how the mechanics came into play. Some things were great, others definitely strangely convoluted for a basic game.

I don't mind criticals on a 20, though: in EPT you score a critical on a 20 and if you then roll a second it's an instant kill :D

#32 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

I don't mind the crits either to be honest - but then I play Rolemaster :D

#33 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

Splug was pretty awesome - and looking forward in this adventure I may get another Goblin opportunity :P

Pretty please?

#34 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Rodrick will probably kill him before I get a chance :P

#35 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

I think you'll find Rodrick has done very little killing. :P

#36 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

True - OK! He will dodge him to death :P

#37 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

True - OK! He will dodge him to death :P

MC Hammer all day long, Can't Touch This.

#38 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Funny :)

#39 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Reading something shiny & new from the FLGS today :)

#40 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

After a perusal of the PHB, I can report that the Basic rules are pretty comprehensive, outside of some spells and classes/archetypes.

Charging/tripping seem to belong to specific maneuvers available only to certain classes/archetypes (edit: Lockhart points out that trip, at least, is available in the Basic rules). This was a mistake in 4e (making them powers), because once you allow someone else to do one of these things you've made the actual ability worthless for its 'exclusive' owner. Feats seem either overpowered or overly situational, so it's probably best that they're optional. 

Other than those observations, I am pretty pleased with what I see so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnd next, dnd5e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge