• LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

File Name: Shattered Star Session 42

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 03 Jul 2014

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy
Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

The party take on some wyvern and then have a nice long chat with an undead alien simulcrum before he decides that chatting isn't enough and attacks. He is somewhat problematic for poor Goram.

Lindsay as Juniper the Lightning wielding Tiefling Witch of blasty amazingness
Hal as Damir Greycastle the Flamestrike wielding Human Oracle of Battle. KaBooooom!
Thing as Goram the Half Orc Jogger
Lockhart as the GM

Click here to download this file

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

The party take on some wyvern and then have a nice long chat with an undead alien simulcrum before he decides that chatting isn't enough and attacks. He is somewhat problematic for poor Goram.

You're fighting Chozo statues? Holy cow! :O

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Monkey, have you ever considered some kind of a job as a pop culture expert? :)

Hal :hal:

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Monkey, have you ever considered some kind of a job as a pop culture expert? :)

tumblr_mkb4zyploW1s5tlmxo1_500.gif

Best. Job. Ever.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Ha ha :)

So what did you think of this mega session?

#6 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

It was nice to have some PC/NPC interaction besides combat. I was looking back fondly on the bog-lodites, the tower girls and Fenster the Blight. I think all-dungeon, all the time works better when there are more PCs to banter between each other. With so few PCs, and probably with less banter due to not actually sitting at the same table together, it really seems like a needed change when there's some talking with the NPCs.

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

I agree - it does seem we have had a lot of grind in recent sessions and not so much chat - but this is the dungeon-inspired Adventure Path so I am guessing more dungeons in the future :)

#8 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

On the subject of dungeon-crawling, there were two things I think people were getting wrong that they might like to make use of. The misfortune hex isn't mind affecting, so it can be used on undead and similar, so Lindsay (or however it's spelled) could have been using it. Also, from your comments when trying to stealth and climb, I think you might have forgotten that the armor check penalty from your full plate should be seriously lessened because it's mithral. The penalty should only be -3, not the -6 of normal or the -5 of masterwork. Still not great, but not as bad as it would otherwise be.

#9 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

Great episode. It was nice to hear some roleplay again instead of just rollplay. Too bad that alien thingie had to be such a stickler for its 'programming'. 

Oh, and since the first little bit of the recording mentioned it I thought I'd share a fun little quote about key lime pie: the great taste of a pine air freshener now in pie form!

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

I liked this one too - it was nice to get to chat to someone even if they did end up trying to tear our faces off in the end. I think I almost had him persuaded at one point ;)

Kind of felt sorry for him...

#11 Fkewl

Fkewl

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationBrossard, QC, Canada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for the great sessions! 

I've been also using Roll20 for my sessions and having a great time with it.  Recently, after trying too hard to micro-manage and have time consuming macro's, I found that rolling all the dice at once is possible and a great time saver.  I often hear you guys recalculating your bonuses and stuff at almost every combat, if not every attack, and my internal voice saying "i wish they would roll at the dice at once" 

I humbly suggest having macro with all your attacks with all the bonuses/feats/etc and damage rolls.  Another macro with all your saves, one with skills and a last one with all the magic info/dmg.  I guarantee you'll be amazed how faster combat will be! I did the same in my games , because imho, we were wasting time typing and checking stuff up.

First i would suggest and "All Attacks" macro with attacks, and damage 

As in this example with Goram, i would put all 4 attacks, crit confirms and damages in the same script

(change text has needed, as i am pulling these numbers out of nowhere)

I would describe all the bonuses included, then put the real roll between [[ ]]

example:

/emas Goram makes a multiattack with his Falchion +2 

First attack

d20+BAB6+STR4+FEAT3+VITAL3+POWATT2 [[d20+6+4+3+3+2]]

Confirm crit [[d20+6+4+3+3+3]]

Damage 2d6+4+6+2+5 [[2d6+4+6+2+5]]

Crit Damage 33+2d6+5+7+8 [[33+2d6+5+7+8]]

Second attack

....(same as above, different numbers)

Third attack

...(same as above, different numbers)

Blessing of Fervor attack

...(same as above, different numbers)

**note, an empty line is intentionally left after /emas for a better look in text) 

Which would look something like this :

GoramMultiAtt.JPG

Now, secondly, for your Saves

/emas Juniper SAVES!

Fortitude d20+4 [[d20+4]]

Reflex d20+6 [[d20+6]]

Will d20+7 [[d20+7]]

*Juniper is special and has this ability....+4 saves against ugly

JuniperSaves.JPG

Same with Skills and Knowledges 

/emas Damir Skills and Knowledges ..

Perception d20+5 [[d20+5]]

Spellcraft d20+5 [[d20+5]]

etc.. etc..

DamisSkillKnowledges.JPG

And lastly but not least, have all the info for ALL your spells (i suggest preferred spells at the end)

/emas Juniper casts a spell

Lightning Bolt - SaveDC 19

5d6 [[5d6]] dmg

Range 60ft

Spell Resistance d20+9 [[d20+9]]

Spell name - SaveDC #

DamageDice [[10d6]]

Range 

Spelll Resistance d20+# [[d20+9]]

Other important text here that you always look up

(like damage type, other effects, etc..)

JuniperSpells.JPG

I agree it might make for long text blurbs, but having all the info and rolling all the dice at once saves mucho-time.. 

Just imagine Goram clicking ONCE, then saying  - 3 attacks hit, for 33, 25 and 22 and Blessing of Fervor crits for 53 !

And also, one person (ie. DM) can make the macros for everyone than share the macros to others so they don't have to fiddle around in the macros themselves .. like i do for my players

I name my macro for my players and share it to them, like for Goram i would have " !Goram-Att", " !Goram-Saves" , "!Goram-SklKnow", "!Goram-Spells" .. and have that player click on the "ON BAR" check mark next to the macros in their options settings so they can just click it anytime! 

ShareMacro1.jpg

Here's how to share a script to someone else (in case you didn't know)

ShareMacro.JPG

fyi :

If you are rolling one dice of anything, you don't need to specify how many dice you are rolling

.. ex. /r d20 is equal too /r 1d20

Hope it helps you guys find the, otherwise time-consuming, info like crit confirmations, spells info (dc/resistance/etc), skills rolls all in in go,  easier for your games. i found it did in mine ! 

Thanks again for all the great gaming.

I hope the tone didn't come off as bossy, i'm just trying to help! :)

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Wow - that was a long and helpful post :)

We have played quite a bit with the Macros and Lockhart does have some that roll his attack and damage in the same click.

I guess my brain likes the idea of rolling twice for things - that said I can see how something like this might speed up the game. I might see if I can get Damir aligned with some of this and see how it works out :) I can always turn them off and turn on the old ones if I hate it :P

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

If you made a soundboard with the most common phrases used by the players ("Goddammit, Lockhart!", "It's all good", "Fuck you, ComCast!"), ran the adventure's flavor text boxed sections through some voice synthesizer software, and programmed a super-macro to use all these elements in the correct order, you could record entire gaming sessions without even having to have anyone participating! ;)

#14 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

I use multi-roll macros for all my NPCs, though unless they ask for help I leave my players to their own devices.

#15 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

We do have quite a few macros set up. That being said, what we're finding is we simply have a ton of situational bonuses that make having such a complete list of macros, not quite impossible, but unlikely. Blessing of fervor, a single buff spell, would require two additional macros, one for the full attack with the extra attack, one for a single attack gaining the bonus to hit. Heroism another. Enlarge Person. Haste. Not to mention, new macros for each combination.

It also doesn't help when people don't press the correct macro button and we're trying to figure out why the numbers look weird :P I appreciate the advice, and as said I use it to a degree with Alex, but there are limits to it's usefulness when the situational bonuses get involved at these high levels. Being able to take things one step at a time is a good way to make sure you aren't missing bonuses to damage, extra attacks, and what not.

Also, Lindsay does have a full list of cue cards of her spells, as do I for Alex. However, it takes a little time to flip through and read them nonetheless.

I think we do relatively well, but ultimately, we are getting to the higher levels that are less common to play at, and it will take a bit of time adjusting to the mechanics of it. We hope you bear with us.

#16 Fkewl

Fkewl

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationBrossard, QC, Canada

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi Lockhart! 

I must apologize to you if my post suggested you didn't do a great work with DM'ing or using Roll20. You do! No question about it .. except.. ! hahaha! no exception, you do a great job and that's why i take the time and post my ideas.  I feel as part of the team, since listening to all rpgmp3's podcasts since the beginning :)

I would try to excuse myself as being tech support technician, constantly try to "educate" people in using their software and my reflex kicked in and then clearly didn't start my post right. 

I was mulling over your point of Pathfinder's multitude of bonuses and having an "All Spark" macro with all the different bonuses in their different possible combination and i concur, it could make for a massive macro if we went with each combination.

Retooling my suggestion for an All Spark attack macro, 

As in Goram multi-bonus attacks, maybe having a Basic attack macro, then adding the different possible bonuses just as text ?

ex.:

/emas Goram Slice and Dice Multi-Mega Attacks

/emas Gorams Base d20+Bab8+Weapon2+Vital3+Power3+*Other*2 [[d20+8+3+3+3+2]]*

Confirm crit [[d20+8+3+3+3+2]]*

*Add BlessingF+2, Heroism +2, Enlarge +2/-2

*-3 Second Attack, -6 Third Attack

/emas Gorams Dmg 2d6+8+Vital2+Power3+Weapon3 [[2d6+8+2+3+3]]*

Enlarged Dmg [[3d8+3+2+3+6]]*

CrtDmg 35+2d6+3+Vital2+Power3+Weapon6 [[35+2d6+3+2+3+6]]*

Enlarged Crit [[35+3d8+3+2+3+6]]*

*Add BlessingF+2, Heroism+2, Other+2

*Weapon funkyass properties inserted here

*Weapon crit bonuses inserted here

would have a look like this :

GoramsAllSparkAtt.JPG

#17 Skyth

Skyth

Kobold

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

I use Maptools (Different program, but I'm sure it's similar) and I do all the macros for my players.  The players put in their stats and equipment, and I have a macro 'ranged attack' that automatically calculates the bonus based on the character's stats.  Just have to remember if there are any situational modifiers.  Then I have a 'weapon damage' macro that does the damage for the wielded weapon.  The macro knows, based on the weapon, if strength modifiers apply and will ask if the hit was a confirmed crit.

It's not perfect, and a work in progress, but it's pretty nice.  I even have macros that track the spells a character currently has prepared.

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

Wow, Ulanna the Nuckelavee concubine certainly sounds like a beauty that coulda sunk a thousand ships, huh? :O
Spoiler

BTW, Lockhart, just for fun, you might be interested in these My Little Nuckelavee: Pestilence is Magic drawings by LynxGriffin and ZuTheSkunk. ;)
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge