• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:02 AM

I personally lean towards Shadow World as a good settings, Tekumel is certainly in there along with Glorantha, Dark Sun and Planescape :)

tumblr_mdsm4qtab71ro36eeo1_500.png

So I talked with a friend the other day how it’s funny that TNO [The Nameless One, from Planescape: Torment] always has the same body, but the level of attractiveness varies drastically and how he manages to have an epic charisma still looking basically like a zombie. We ended up with Bishounen TNO idea.

tumblr_mrnszphmz51ro36eeo1_500.jpg
Planescape: Torment - Corpse Party

#22 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

I'd have to say that personal favourites would have to include The Old World from WFRP. It's just so well fleshed out. Okay, let's be honest here. It's basically our world. That's one of the reasons why it's so detailed and complete. But it's up to the players how much they stick to the real world analogies or not. I also love Middle Earth, Esteren, Magnamund (Lone Wolf) Ravenloft and maybe the Crimson Empire/Cursed Empire setting. That last one's kind of right on the edge between being very likeable and barely tolerable. It's just really hard to decide if I like it enough to call it a favourite or not.

There's a certain nostalgic fondness for Orb (Way of the Tiger, Duelmasters etc) although it doesn't feel like a very complete and well rounded. Cassandra, Tyuchev & Thaum make wonderful recurring villains with their well thought out  plans. The monastic ninja orders feel real as well. The rest of the world feels very AD&D 1st edition full of terribly literal word names (right down to a heroic knight called Paladin).

#23 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

How have I not waded into this thread and commented before? 

I have to admit, I have always had a fondness for the Forgotten Realms setting. It's pretty damn generic, but it's got a few little twists and tweaks that make parts of it interesting, some of the authors have created some cool locations and settings for it, and if you can get away from the Sword Coast and Icewind Dale your chances of running into Drizzt are significantly lowered. It's rather like a fast food chain. It all vaguely tastes the same, and it doesn't taste especially amazing unless you're drunk, and you know it's not good for you, but it's satisfying in the way you want it to be and you can add literally any condiment to it to make it better and your own.

WFRP (which I insist on pronouncing WhFurp) as others have mentioned is fantastic. Just a perfect mix of near-historical, late medieval history mixed with classic fantasy ranging from King arthur mythology to Brothers Grimm, and then a pile of angst and grim darkness and contempt for everyone in the world because it's a horrible place to be. I also very much like the 2nd edition rules which are simple, effective, and brutally reinforce the idea that the game just doesn't like you. And yet, despite all of this, we still love playing it.

I've played in a few other established worlds. Gamma World (6th ed, because I didn't know about it until then) was random and hilarious but I think most of the appeal was in the novelty of the hilarity and randomness. Maybe I'd try running a campaign in it but I'd have to look for previous editions because to hell with 4th ed DnD. I was in a Deadlands game, which I think was supposed to have a similar tone, but we broke it. Repeatedly. Eberron still hosts the campaign I dream of finishing one day and there are things I like about the setting a lot, but I don't have an emotional attachment to it. I think I'm playing a game on Golarion? That's the pathfinder world, right? We're using a map of Tien for the campaign and I haven't been told the rest of the world doesn't also exist but I have zero idea of how closely the DM is following the established lore. All I know is that game is awesome because we're playing it "anime style" with over the top combat actions and ridiculous dialogue and/or constant screaming. And I;m a monkey demon.

I'm trying to think of any other established worlds I've played in and am coming up short. Most often my friends and I homebrew stuff. I hope in the near future to play in a WoD Werewolf game,but once again the setting is being completely crafted by the GM and I know he's taking liberties with some things, I like the concept of WoD but my experience in it is limited so we'll see how that goes.

#24 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Since we are talking about settings and not actual systems I'd have to say I really liked the Rifts world. Some good old crazy future genre mashing fun for all. Be a druid, or a crazy cyborg dragon, or perhaps a shape-changing Native, or why not someone from Atlantis? Or there is always the Glitterboys!

There is another setting I like too, just because I am a sucker for a good musical analogy: In Nomine. Angels and Demons and dreams oh my. It also helps that if you look at the real world through that setting, it makes unsettling sense.

#25 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:57 AM

I like settings that are basically our world with added scary bits (like CoC, Unknown Armies etc.)

When it comes to fantasy and scifi, I like ones that aren't exhaustively mapped and described. Despite that, I'm enormously fond of Talislanta. Maybe because it feels like visiting a strange new country every time.

#26 Dr Ink'n'Stain

Dr Ink'n'Stain

Raven

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFinland, Finland, Finland...

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

The Warhammer World, obviously (although I'm a bit torn on Bretonnia, I kinda liked the Les Mis -feel of V1 but the Grail-themed V2 is cool too). 6th World (Shadowrun) was great when it was fresh, as well. But like Telemergion, I feel I have mostly gamed in non-spesific settings (CoC), or in homebrews, like the heavily Mad Max -inspired Aftermath! campaign. Even when we used to play AD&D 'every saturday at twelve' for years <sigh>, it was nominally set in Greyhawk, but apart from some names from the map I don't recall the setting made that much difference. 

Personally, I like blank spaces and broad strokes, which is why I could never play in Middle-Earth, for example. Way too much 'baggage'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rpg, settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge