#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thought this was a rather interesting watch... What do you think?

Hal :hal:

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

That's very nicely done and certainly addresses an important issue, but as the video says it's mainly a fault in videogames. With an RPG it's far, far easier to shift the mood and options as the players work through a scenario, pulling back the curtain a little way at the most appropriate moment, adjusting the details to match your particular group and how they are playing. I've always thought it was a daft idea to assign numbers to anything like Cthulhu: just look at Deities & Demigods which most AD&D groups treated as a high-level Monster Manual.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Call of Cthulhu and Pathfinder have stat blocks for Cthulhu as well so technically I think it is more down to the mentality of the players and the GM :)

Hal :hal:

#4 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Yeah. I think, though, if you're going to give Cthulhu a stat block, both Pathfinder and Call of Cthulhu did it right. CoC's "every round he's going to kill somebody" and Pathfinder's DC 40 Will save within 300 feet of him or die of fright are good ways to go. To be honest, looking at the stats for the Pathfinder version, I'd be wary of taking him on, even with a party of level 20/Mythic Tier 10 characters and even then it's not possible to permanently kill him, just put him back in the box for a while.

But the video did have some good points. At best, you're hoping to delay the inevitable in Call of Cthulhu. Or at the very least hoping you won't be either alive or sane when it does happen.

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:03 AM

Yeah. I think, though, if you're going to give Cthulhu a stat block, both Pathfinder and Call of Cthulhu did it right. CoC's "every round he's going to kill somebody" and Pathfinder's DC 40 Will save within 300 feet of him or die of fright are good ways to go. To be honest, looking at the stats for the Pathfinder version, I'd be wary of taking him on, even with a party of level 20/Mythic Tier 10 characters and even then it's not possible to permanently kill him, just put him back in the box for a while.

Makes him sound like an aquatic Tarrasque, really. :)

But the video did have some good points. At best, you're hoping to delay the inevitable in Call of Cthulhu. Or at the very least hoping you won't be either alive or sane when it does happen.

Still, it presents a very different game situation when you're playing with characters powerful enough that they stand even a chance of squaring off against Big Daddy Cthulhu himself, as opposed to the regular Joe Schmoe humans that you play in classic Call of Cthulhu, where the stark contrast between the frail investigators and the vast pseudo-deity they oppose really cements your own mortality, the ultimate grim futility of trying to stop the Great Old Ones, yada yada cosmic madness blah blah blah SAN check to resist wetting your pants until you die of dehydration.

Also, by a weirdly serendipitous coincidence, I happened to stumble across this happy announcement from 2006 during an archive binge:

I am pleased to announce the birth of a lovely baby girl, born on August 12th at 6:03 PM EDT. She weighs 8 lbs. 1 oz. and is 21" long. Mother and baby are both doing well.

Hooray. First RPGMP3 baby :D Woot :D

Yay for babies!!!I want one *stamps foot*

Now now, Lindsay. Hal has already allowed you one rabbit and a pug, I believe. Have you collected on THOSE promises yet? :)

Well, they might not have gotten a rabbit, but the site's resident Halfling Rogue certainly got a Ruby. :)

Or is she keeping the tokens to add up to something more...? :twisted:

So, belated happy 10th birthday to little Feylin... err, Naomi Christine, @WerewolfPaladin! :D (Lindsay was really excited about the prospect of having a baby named after the world's best halfling, but Naomi is a probably a very nice name, as well... Did you at least get the kid a stuffed toy snake called W00t?) ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cthulhu, coc, games, tentacle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge