#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Just spotted this pop up online and thought it might be an interesting discussion point.

It is the Fighter character sheet from the upcoming DnD 5e Starter Set.

It looks very streamlined and I am not sure it that is a function of DnD5e or if it is a function of it coming from the Starter Set. I wonder if there has been some serious over simplifying here.

10431239_10152465622376071_5714869436390Discuss....

Hal :hal:

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

Well, I did hear that part of the direction was almost as a crossover from 2e and 3.5, with emphasis on more simplicity. That being said, I do think quite a lot of the sheet is a little bit neater and set out because it is from the starter set. Still, interesting leak.

While overall my impression is "Fighter seems kinda boring again" the Position of Privelage is nevertheless a nice non-statistical boon that does add an amount of uniqueness and importance to the character.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

I think it will be interesting to see if they have managed to strike the balance between roleplaying and rollplaying this time. I always thought DnD was really more about the numbers and characters are really just a collection of stats and if you fail to optimize to lean towards a character that has some background or interesting flaws than you become a millstone to the party.

Its why I love Rolemaster so very much :) You can take surfing and not cripple anyone and everyone understands that no matter home min/maxed you are a level 1 peasant with a lucky roll and a rock and kill you stone dead at any moment :P

Hal :hal:

#4 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

Not having played 4th Ed I'm not sure if these are new or not but I see they have distinctions between a long and a short rest. Wonder what that's about. And then there's that nifty bit about Death saves I see there. I guess that's a change from the Pathfinder type of D&D I'm used to. I look forward to hearing one of the groups on here play this new version.

#5 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Not having played 4th Ed I'm not sure if these are new or not but I see they have distinctions between a long and a short rest. Wonder what that's about. And then there's that nifty bit about Death saves I see there. I guess that's a change from the Pathfinder type of D&D I'm used to. I look forward to hearing one of the groups on here play this new version.

Those are indeed 4e terminology, however I am unsure how changed/unchanged they are in 5e. Long Rest was simply new terminology for 8 hour rest (essentially indicating abilities that were, prior to the changed, recharged after 24 hours or 'the next day') and Short Rest indicated 10-15 minute breather after battle (essentially indicating abilities that recharged after an 'encounter').

Death saves, was an addition to the whole stabilization process, however I can't actually recall the specific mechanic for it, except that it was part of the buffer being dying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnd5e, character sheet, fighter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge