#21 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

This free basic pdf may possibly make me no longer buy a starter set...If it is as rules complete as suggested.

#22 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

The basic pdf at least means I'll be taking a look at the rules, rather than ignoring them as I'd pretty much planned to do previously. (Unless of course there's audio of a group using them, in which case, I'd have been highly likely to give them a listen.)

#23 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

The basic pdf at least means I'll be taking a look at the rules, rather than ignoring them as I'd pretty much planned to do previously. (Unless of course there's audio of a group using them, in which case, I'd have been highly likely to give them a listen.)

This is kinda my opinion why it's a decent move by WotC. Though to be perfectly honest, an amount of playable content for free online is pretty much necessary if they want to compete with the Savvy Experienced RPGamer market, when numerous competitors (Pathfinder, FATE, S&W) are COMPLETELY available for free online. If anything, they're actually kinda doing as minimal as possible in this category instead of really embracing it.

To be honest, If I wasn't a site contributor, I probably wouldn't have too much interest in 5e myself. But, since I am, will plunge into the rules and check it out and participate in the recording for you loyal and awesome listeners. So, kinda a good thing for broadening my horizons and forcing me to go beyond my slightly jaded view of WotC :D

#24 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

To be honest, If I wasn't a site contributor, I probably wouldn't have too much interest in 5e myself. But, since I am, will plunge into the rules and check it out and participate in the recording for you loyal and awesome listeners. So, kinda a good thing for broadening my horizons and forcing me to go beyond my slightly jaded view of WotC :D

Say, you don't need any players for this plunge do you? :D

#25 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

Say, you don't need any players for this plunge do you? :D

I think we currently have a full roster of players for this project.

#26 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

I figured, but it never hurts to try.

#27 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

I figured, but it never hurts to try.

Fair enough. If it's any consolation I've been thinking of doing little one-shots for patrons. Things like the Paizo Free RPG day stuff, or Inspectres. I will eventually run out of my current sources of Patron Only audio. So, audio for patrons, made by patrons :P If it can work out. Possibly. More thinking needs be done. And then I'd post officially some sort've 'sign up sheet' in the patron forums.

#28 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:53 AM

Fair enough. If it's any consolation I've been thinking of doing little one-shots for patrons. Things like the Paizo Free RPG day stuff, or Inspectres. I will eventually run out of my current sources of Patron Only audio. So, audio for patrons, made by patrons :P If it can work out. Possibly. More thinking needs be done. And then I'd post officially some sort've 'sign up sheet' in the patron forums.

Remember to post some ads on the public forums, as well. It might help lure in a few more patrons. ;)

#29 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

OMG DRAGONZ

#30 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'll definitely be checking the PDF rules out , and to be honest I'll probably pick up the core books, for the completest in me if nothing else.  I have just about evey version of D&D & Traveller on my shelves and they hardly get touched these days

#31 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

The 100 page pdf is up http://wizards.com/D...=dnd/basicrules

#32 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

I've been reading a bit about this today. Can't avoid the nagging feeling that having the *basic* rules clock in at 100 pages might be one reason why D&D can seem inaccessible to some people. Look at the older versions, particular the Moldvay edition: they put an incredible amount of stuff into a fraction of the space.

#33 AndrewRJ

AndrewRJ

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, Wa

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

I haven't had time to really look at this yet and the I only played one game during the beta with a dwarf pregen, but a really quick glance at the human race with a +1 to all ability modifiers...  That is different.  I am really going to half to look at the way this is balanced to other races.

#34 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I've been reading a bit about this today. Can't avoid the nagging feeling that having the *basic* rules clock in at 100 pages might be one reason why D&D can seem inaccessible to some people. Look at the older versions, particular the Moldvay edition: they put an incredible amount of stuff into a fraction of the space.

After a quick look, I have to agree with this. I do hope it does well though. Not as well as Fantasy Hero Complete from Hero Games of course obviously! :D

#35 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Printing it so I can read it properly and if all works out as planned I should have a copy of the Starter Set in my warm sticky hands tomorrow :)

Then we can do an unbox and a review and get a game going...

Hal :hal:

#36 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Of the hundred pages, I'm impressed and happy that eight of them are about actualy role-playing. It seems like that might be about twice as many on the topic as in all of 4E (this may be hyperbole). I like the 'background' mechanic, and that the system asks people to think about their characters. If it has a spot on the character sheet, people will regard it as important. It does remind me a lot of the various FATE aspects.

Usual point buy value for attributes... but you can only buy them up to 15? That seems like it might bother some people. I seldom buy abilities higher than that anyway, so not really a problem for me. Saving throws are a little tougher for 1st level spells, but they don't scale with spell level as far as I can tell. Shades of pre-3rd ed there. Opportunity attacks pretty much only for moving out of a creature's reach. No trouble spellcasting while threatened, except that you get disadvatage tring to make a ranged attack with a spell.

Like other people have said, it feels WAY more like D&D than 4E ever did, and will probably make for better podcasts. I've tried listening to various 4E podcasts, and they just don't make for good listening, which is too bad, since there are a lot of them. With luck, most of them will switch over to 5E. It seems like 5E might be a good system for people who think that Pathfinder is just a little too rules heavy. Presumably, many of the people playing 4E enjoy the system. I wonder how many will stick with playing it, versus moving to 5E?

#37 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:29 AM

Elves got their darkvision back, and mountain dwarves can cast spells while wearing half-plate. Halflings can hide behind their friends and then jump out and stab people, and a person of average strength can carry 150 pounds before being encumbered. At the very least, I'd be inclined to use the more realistic encumberance varient.

#38 AndrewRJ

AndrewRJ

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, Wa

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Elves got their darkvision back, and mountain dwarves can cast spells while wearing half-plate. Halflings can hide behind their friends and then jump out and stab people, and a person of average strength can carry 150 pounds before being encumbered. At the very least, I'd be inclined to use the more realistic encumberance varient.

I am obviously well below average strength then.  :) 

#39 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

By those rules, I think we're all below average strength. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge