#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

So the release dates for DnD 5 are out...

Wonder if it is any good. I am a little concerned that we no longer seem to consider the Dungeon Master's Guide to be important enough to release before we get some adventures out there...

DnD Product Release Dates

734025.png

I know I will likely pick up at least the Player's Guide to see what it is like but I think like a lot of people I am pretty happy with Pathfinder at the moment...

We will see if we can get some games out on here pretty soon after it is released for you guys to hear it...

Hal :hal:

#2 Spykiller

Spykiller

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationElverum, Norway

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

I never picked up 4th, but maybe 5th is better? Any actual play podcasts from the official Wizards podcasts?

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

I am more than willing to pick up any 'free trial' module of the rules and give it a go. However, it would have to really wow me to get a considerable grasp of my investment. For me, adventure support is a huge contribution as to which system I'll support. I don't have the time or wholesale creativity to do homebrew. And Paizo and Pathfinder are simply one of the best at that.

#4 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

My group gave 4th Edition a more than fair chance running several games using the system. I'll be interested to hear how they try to fix The Grind issue along what we found to be largely a monotonous combat system.

The reality is that we probably won't purchase it. Maybe it will be great. We'll see.

Tom

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

I never picked up 4th, but maybe 5th is better? Any actual play podcasts from the official Wizards podcasts?

Penny Arcade & PVP & WotC have a few AP episodes (in their series 5) that seem to be entirely character creation, i.e. no actual play in their Actual Play.

The RPG Academy (formerly the DnD Academy) claim to have been running a D&D Next Actual Play podcastin' campaign, but some of the first episodes seem to have disappeared. (Presumably lost in their site move shuffle.)

#6 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

I'm curious about it, because hey, it's D&D, but I wasn't overly thrilled with where they were going when I played in the early runs of the Playtest. I'll probably pick up the cheapish Starter Set that's due out in July and see what I think from there.

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'm thinking the starter set might be a good time to get some audio out to the site with how we all like it :)

#8 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

*actually reads article* Ooo, interesting. They are getting a bit more adventure intensive, and farming out module making to one of the top 3rd party Pathfinder publishers to boot. Very shrewd of them.

Though...It is REALLY odd how the monster manual and DM Guide (which includes all magic item rules) Are released months after launch. I mean, yes, having an adventure at launch is good, it's great really. Adventure modules are a good way of establishing the tone and taste of the game and how it is different from others. But Homebrew and twerking adventures is still a very large part of the game, and you're asking your initial buyers to wait months before those rules? Come on wizards. Surely someone at the company has some business acumen don't they?

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

What the hell is a twerking adventure?

hippo_twerking__by_honey_hippo-d6goycx.g

Just trying to beat Monkey to it :D

#10 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

It's possible I meant Tweaking instead.

*commence the meeting of the secret shadow council that no one is to know, remember, or speak of, to determine details of 5e game planning*

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:41 AM

commence the meeting

Oh, so that's why the RPGMP3 Pros hardly ever release any new audio. ;)

meetings.gif

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

Actually we have been having some technical difficulties with our connection caused by Comcast being useless. At the moment they think the local network where Lindsay and I are is close to capacity so we are topping out and getting crappy service when we do video conferencing and even just audio.

I have been playing phone tag with their "Executive Customer Support Team" for almost two weeks. I have left probably 10 messages and every time I get a call back it is during something at work so I can't answer and she refuses to discuss things over email (I guess that's because they hate having a record of their lies - I have never ever ever received any of the reimbursements they have promised when I have had an issue - not once).

If there was a half-way decent alternative we would have switched long ago.

I want Google Fiber damn it!

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

I have been playing phone tag with their "Executive Customer Support Team" for almost two weeks. I have left probably 10 messages and every time I get a call back it is during something at work so I can't answer and she refuses to discuss things over email (I guess that's because they hate having a record of their lies - I have never ever ever received any of the reimbursements they have promised when I have had an issue - not once).

Alternatively, you could try contacting the NSA and asking them nicely for their recordings of your conversations with Cumbla- err, Comcast.

2013-07-01-283.png

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

In related news, there's a guy on Tumblr who's working on a D&D Next intro package, with pre-gen characters and the whole shebang.

#15 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

*whispers from the plans of the shadow council*

One DM, Four Players.

#16 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Four players?! How are you going to manage to gather that many?

Spoiler

Oh, okay! :)

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:56 AM

Hey @Hal and @Lockhart and whoever else is on the Shadork Council - you may wanna check out this article:

There’s a lot to talk about with the new game, but I’d like to take this week to focus on a piece of the puzzle we haven’t talked about yet: Basic Dungeons & Dragons.

Basic D&D is a PDF that covers the core of the game. It’s the equivalent of the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia, though it doesn’t have quite the same scope (for example, it won’t go into detail on a setting). It runs from levels 1 to 20 and covers the cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard, presenting what we view as the essential subclass for each. It also provides the dwarf, elf, halfling, and human as race options.

But the best part? Basic D&D is a free PDF. [...]

If Basic D&D is the equivalent of the classic Rules Cyclopedia, then the three core rulebooks are analogous to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Want more character options? Pick up a Player’s Handbook. Looking for more critters for your campaign? The Monster Manual has you covered. Want to sculpt a unique campaign? Pick up the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Still, Basic D&D is the true heart of the game and could easily provide a lifetime of gaming.

At the launch of the D&D Starter Set, Basic D&D will include the material needed to create characters and advance to 20th level. In August, with the release of the Player’s Handbook, Basic D&D will expand to include the essential monsters, magic items, and DM rules needed to run the game, along with the rules for wilderness, dungeon, and urban adventuring. (The Starter Set already covers the aspects of these rules that you need to run the included campaign.)

As we introduce new storylines like Tyranny of Dragons, we’ll also make available free PDFs that provide all the rules and stats missing from Basic D&D needed to run the adventures tied into the story. The adventures released as part of Tyranny of Dragons are playable without requiring any of the core rulebooks or the Starter Set. With just the Basic Dungeons & Dragons rules, you can play D&D for years.

Notice how they've cleverly avoided posting any links where you can actually download this fantastic free basic rules pdf? ;)

#18 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Looks like there is going to be a Free Basic PDF

#19 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Does the secret shadow council meet in a cave? 'Coz there sure is an echo in here. ;)

#20 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

I think we would need more Patrons to get us a cave... at the moment we are sharing robes and pointy hats...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge