#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

So - I am sure some of you have seen the first trailer from the new Constantine TV series by now.

What do we think?

I have to say it looks pretty decent except for his accent (where the hell is that from?) and the fact that NBC won't let the character smoke... Pfft!

Hal :hal:

#2 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Oooga! The attitude is perfect. The rest remains to be seen, and see it I will.

#3 AndrewRJ

AndrewRJ

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, Wa

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

That looks promising.   :)

#4 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

I liked the look if it. I agree about the accent but at least we're not getting an American Constantine. It's a shame I've watched far too much supernatural for me to be able to take Devil's Traps seriously anymore. :)

#5 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

I agree - but the accent?  A sort of indistinct Northern thing?

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

There was a short Vertigo graphic novel called Mythos: The Final Tour; it's about a rock star who's approached by various demonic powers, trying to tempt him with succubi and so forth, and eventually

Spoiler
. It featured a great little cameo by Constantine, who meets the rock star in a beach condo. Constantine has tied up this hapless wretch of a man, who's wet himself with terror, and Constantine's calmly having a smoke while this horrid infernal aberration is squatting over the terrified dweeb on the floor.

Constantine explains (whispering, so the captive won't overhear) that the "devil" is just an inflatable prop he's borrowed from a special effects guy he knows in Hollywood. The whimpering prisoner is a wannabe author, who's written Constantine's unauthorized biography, and is planning on selling the movie rights for a cool million.

Whenever there's rumours of another Constantine movie, or a TV series, I have a mental image of Constantine picking up a packet of cigarettes and a demonic blow-up doll, and paying the erstwhile "creators" a visit. :)

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

I have the Mythos comics :) In my comic boxes somewhere :D

#8 Nick T. Vegan

Nick T. Vegan

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

In fairness nobody understands a scouse accent. Not even Liverpudlians.

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Pretty sure that isn't Liverpool :)

Hello Nick - nice to see you are still wandering about here - not seen you in a while. We miss you :)

#10 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

It does look surprisingly promising, I have to say! Much better than that American Horror Story thing on telly that I've been dabbling with recently.

T'intermet informs me that Matt Ryan's welsh. I wonder if that's linked to the slightly hard to pin down-ness of his accent. He's clearly from north of Watford though... Probably...

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:18 AM

Will he be chainsmoking e-cigarettes, do you think?

#12 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Judging by the trailer. I'm not sure that's the angle they're going for... :) And yes, I'm pretty sure you're joking!

This makes me want to pick up some digital editions of the comic from comixology... Then I remember that the new management took away in-app purchases... Sigh.

Still, this trailer looks quite hopeful! Fingers crossed!

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:23 AM

So, is there anyone who's watched the show? What's the verdict, so far?

tumblr_nipvpyqzRz1u4o3hvo2_500.jpg
tumblr_nipvpyqzRz1u4o3hvo1_400.gif

Hellblazer: All His Engines | Constantine 1x06: Rage of Caliban.

#14 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:30 AM

I'm behind by a couple of episodes, I think. Overall, pretty good, but I find myself unexited, watching just because it's there. Can't say why, really. The production is high quality, I like the actors and there is an interesting meta plot. 

#15 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:45 AM

... and there is an interesting meta plot.

Sometimes I wonder whether this hasn't in itself become an issue. From the old standard of shows with an overall theme rather than a plot, where every episode stood alone and there was probably no actual conclusion to resolve it all (see pretty much every genre show of the 60s and 70s), we may well have gone too far the other way. It frequently looks as though the big overarching plot is given too much attention, but there's a failure to make individual episodes compelling. Could this show be falling foul of that?

#16 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Its not far from the comics and it is nice when they do an episode which is clearly pulled straight from the comics (like the one with the murderer that marries girls by "giving them a ring" around their throats). It appears to be lacking the presence of Swamp Thing at this point (which is a little disappointing) and there to too much chit chat with angels and Constantine appears to be very competent which I never really got from the comics - I always got the impression he knew some stuff but basically made it up as he went along.

Lindsay and I have watched it all and at this point it is decent for the quality of TV over here but they have all but reduced it to the level of a procedural. There is a spooky problem, let us investigate the spooky problem, the XXX is the cause of the spooky problem, we need X, Y and Z for the solution, now we have X and Y we can make do with Q for Z, end of spooky problem...

They need to take these actors and make movies based around the 10 collected graphic novels :) That would be better :D

#17 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

Has it been renewed? I thought it was the one DC TV adaptation that didn't...

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

There is a spooky problem, let us investigate the spooky problem, the XXX is the cause of the spooky problem

Ah yes, because the XXX is so often the cause of spooky problems. ;)

cef734532fc2e99ab4d33a4798e76a77-d82f03y

#19 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

I swear you just have a million webcomics that you draw yourself when you need them :P

#20 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 447 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

I swear you just have a million webcomics that you draw yourself when you need them :P

He is actually Pencil Monkey Wrangler with a million monkeys chained to pencils churning out comics for him.

On the original point I enjoyed the series. It could have been better but I liked the portrayal of Constantine. I do think that the point of him seeming more competent is accurate though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge