Oooh! This could be quite good :)

#3 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Not sure they would want the kind of Deadlands my group has been playing.  Racism, domestic violence, southern propaganda.  hmmm....

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

As opposed to the regular gamut of racism on Xbox Live, which was racist enough to merit an intervention, courtesy of Dr. Phil? ;)

#5 The_Emerald_Flame

The_Emerald_Flame

Stirge

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

That definitly could be interesting, so long as zombies/undead stuff is not overdone it it. There is a bit of a glut on them at the moment, in my opinion.

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

Deadwood with zombies?

#7 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

I found that the official materials for the setting really overdid the fantastical elements, for my taste. If they do the same for the show then I'd be dubious that they could also include the sort of characters and plot developments that I enjoy these days. Hard to tell at this stage: "weird" shows can be astonishingly poor or incredibly good, just like any other; I hope they make it about more than ghost rock and gatling pistols.

#8 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

I know I don't have a lot to go on here but I am hoping that they feel naturally inclined to pull back somewhat on the weird given that they want a reasonably broad audience - not just wild west rpg fanboys and girls.

#9 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

Ootak has been playing Deadlands "The Flood" for a while now and I have to say that I'm a bit discouraged at the dearth of supernatural. It's probably because I'm more used to World of Darkness games and our group's tendency to go for the joke instead of a spooky mood, but I definitely don't think it has played as too weird. I'm looking forward to see what's done with this for TV (but I won't be buying an XBox just to watch it.).

#10 Hagen

Hagen

RPGMP3 Addict

• Patrons
  • 213 posts
  • LocationConway County, NJ

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

I found that the official materials for the setting really overdid the fantastical elements, for my taste. If they do the same for the show then I'd be dubious that they could also include the sort of characters and plot developments that I enjoy these days. Hard to tell at this stage: "weird" shows can be astonishingly poor or incredibly good, just like any other; I hope they make it about more than ghost rock and gatling pistols.

I think in the more recent  Savage Worlds-compatible materials, they've scaled back on the fantastical elements a bit. You still have Mad Science, but now it's actually freakin' usable by the player characters, and not the stupidly complex combination of maths and lucky dice rolls it used to be. It's also a helluva lot easier to scale a posse's power level than it used to be. I had a long term Hell on Earth campaign that had me going grey trying to keep the enemies from being a match for the players without either side being able to obliterate the other in two rounds.

As for the show itself, it could definitely work in the current climate of tv shows. It has fantasy elements, steampunk all over the place, historical bits and lots of horror potential (beyond zombies/undead). Whether it can do so successful remains to be seen, but I'm still excited as all hell for this.

So round up a posse, folks. 'Cause Stone might be lurkin' jes' 'round the corner. Be ready to skin those smokewagons!

#11 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

It could be good. Could be bad depending on how they handle it. If they do things with similar moods to the short story collections they released back in the day (The Good, The Bad, and The Dead; For a Few Dead Guys More; A Fistfull O' Dead Guys), then I could definitely buy into it.

#12 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

In what is probably a totally unrelated move unconnected to any X-Box Originals promotional drives a six-gun toting possie of Deadlands Classic material is avaliable at the esteemed Bundle of Holding for only 8 more of your Earth days!

#13 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

In what is probably a totally unrelated move unconnected to any X-Box Originals promotional drives a six-gun toting possie of Deadlands Classic material is avaliable at the esteemed Bundle of Holding for only 8 more of your Earth days!

And it's currently 4 books for $10.95 or 11 books if you pay more than the average which is just under $22 as of this posting. And there's still time that they may add another book to the bundle before it's over. Bundle of Holding has been awesome the last few weeks.

Edit: And, of course, they just added another bonus PDF today, making it 12 PDFs if you pay over the average.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge