• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

We're taking a really indepth look at FATE. Currently we have decided on a magic system and are just waiting for my copy of FATE core to arrive through the post, as the .pdf version made my eyes bleed.

Ah! So it really is the perfect system for Tropis. You don't even need to play it, just force everyone to read the .pdf version until they pass out from either nervous shock or blood loss. ;)

It looks like a decent enough system and the magic system, linked above, is perfect for how me & Alex imagine Ætherical manipulations to work in our world. How combat resolution works will be the deciding factor as I feel it simply wouldn't be Tropis without my signature combat-based body-horror.

Amusingly enough, your XP and leveling system also involves body horror... ;)

On that note, you may wanna check out this Actual Play summary of a guy using Strands of Fate to run a horror game for his niece and nephew, where they experience such delightful treats as having an ear torn off, a nail ripped free, a tooth knocked out, plus a seeping arm wound. :)

Apart from the Achtung! Cthulhu RPG itself, people have had their own ideas for running Cthulhu horror RPGs with FATE, as well regular horror RPGs - note the recommendation to check out some of the free downloadable Dresden Files scenarios, such as Night Fears, which is allegedly a rather nice little horror scenario using FATE.

#22 Albax11

Albax11

Goblin

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

It looks like a decent enough system and the magic system, linked above, is perfect for how me & Alex imagine Ætherical manipulations to work in our world.  How combat resolution works will be the deciding factor as I feel it simply wouldn't be Tropis without my signature combat-based body-horror.

Aside from the obvious imbalances we quickly discovered. Like being able to transport someone into the sun, provided you know the name of the person you want teleport.

How combat resolution works will be the deciding factor as I feel it simply wouldn't be Tropis without my signature combat-based body-horror.

It works awesomely, that's how! There's an example here

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hm, that example made my puny lizard brain hurt and came across as needlessly complicated.

My copy of FATE Core arrived through the post today so I'm going to read it before bed and we'll see where we are after that.

#24 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:17 AM

We interrupt this session of brooding and misery to bring you... A Kitten!

Mew.

Awwwww.

And now back to despair.

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Jess' kitten is all kinds of adorable.  Capable of melting even the most frozen of GM hearts.

#26 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

Basically something we have noticed is that we the current group the need for actual dice rolls has become somewhat unnecessary in most non-combat encounters.  Considering the story is the main focus of our games I'm a little uncertain whether this is a good or bad thing.  The question I find myself asking these days is where the line between 'interactive storytelling' and 'roleplaying game' actually lies.  This mirrors the argument I've seen a lot recently as to what constitutes a 'game' (in video game terms).  The example I see mentioned a lot is Depression Quest - which Jess brought to the group's attention recently.  I may even end up writing a discussion piece on this, assuming the topic holds my attention long enough.

Saw this on Tumblr, and saw that it was good... Material for a quick thread necromancy, that is. ;)

tumblr_n2t9z7zcYj1ql91j6o2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n2t9z7zcYj1ql91j6o1_500.gif

#27 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

Regan's 'Masterpiece' of Parody

Spoiler

Hey look @Daniel, you're not the only person who likes a little fly/baby-demon in their D&D. :)

tumblr_njhte1fCOX1qjm6tmo1_540.jpg

I also drew this weird fly demon baby we met in D&D. I accidentally gave him not enough legs but whatever he’s a demon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge