• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RPGMP3 Newsbot

RPGMP3 Newsbot

Full Of Awesome

• Inner Circle
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

Thirty years ago this March, the world of Krynn debuted in the Dragonlance series of adventures and novels. There have been quite a few twists and turns in the years since -- and today we offer a brief history of one of D&D’s most innovative settings!

View the full article

#2 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hmm. They unleashed Kender on the world. Something to be proud of? In all seriousness I can say I loved reading the books as a kid but I've never actually done any gaming set in Krynn.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I have about the first 8 modules in the Dragonlance adventure series but it is so linear. It forces you to follow the plot of the books basically to the letter, so I never ran it.

The setting boxed set is nice though.

Hal :hal:

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hal pretty much mirrors my own opinions of the module series.  I loved the Twins Trilogy, never finished the original trilogy and cried at the end of Dragons of Summer Flame.  But the modules are far too linear.  Maybe one of the brilliant DMs we have on the site could pull something amazing from them, but it would definitely require a lot of work on their part.

#5 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I think I'd enjoy reading through the books but I agree that the running could be challenging. Upon rereading the Chronicles you can almost read they stop, rested and levelled up. I am thinking about rereading the Legends though. I read so many of these books as a teenager I think I might have to go back and try a small smattering of them.

#6 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

There are SOOO many DL books now, it's hard to keep track of which book is from which trilogy.

I'm curious how folks think the DL franchise compares to other franchises like Shannara, Darkover, Deryni, Xanth, etc.

#7 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

I've struggled going back to Xanth and Shannara books although I can remember being really fond of them. I still really like the David Eddings books apart from his final series. 

#8 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

I haven't played a kender in AGES, although my extremely youthful elf almost got thrown out of our recent Temple of Elemental Evil party for, in the first encounter of the game, piping up during a parley "Ooh! Wait! Are you guys BANDITS?" (Gonna roleplay that 8 CHA! :). Count me in with everyone else on the 'good to read, not so good to play' on the modules. I'm surprised no one's mentioned the parts where the players are supposed to read the included poetry!

I liked many of the early books, and disliked most of the later ones. Chronicles, and Legends? Good. Some of the misc. authored ones were okay. Once the timeline moves much past the end of Legends, I usually don't enjoy the stories so much. I stopped following the series much after second age came out, so I'll have to check out the Lost Chronicles series, to see how I like those.

Eddings has stood up fairly well to the test of time for me (again, except his last series), and I agree that it's hard to go back to Xanth once you've stopped. I haven't looked at Shannara recently. but I think I'd be disappointed. Darkover and Deryini might seem a bit dated, but from what little I remember they dont seem like the sort of thing you'd outgrow the way you would Xanth.

#9 Gorion

Gorion

Kobold

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCandlekeep

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

I'm personally a huge fan of Eddings' Belgariad and Elenium series, but that's where the buck stops with me for him. Everything aside from those that I've picked up seems to have a tendency towards starting with a decent idea and going downhill fast. My favorite pure old-school fantasy series is still Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame books, at least from the second book onward. The first book's incredibly rough, and the rest still have their shaky moments, but I think it does a much better job of being a darker fantasy series without falling into the GRIMDARK trap so many other such series hit.

Confession time, though, I've never finished a Dragonlance book. I started on the first one, but it kind of fell by the wayside. I didn't really grow up with them, so they don't really have that uber-nostalgic place in my heart that some other books do. I may have to give it another go, if only for the history value, but...

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

I hear the Elric stories are pretty good ;)

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

959759477_6Cf3c-L.jpg

I hear the Elric stories are pretty good ;)

Pfft, he's not a patch on the glory of Elrod, wielder of the mighty sword Seersucker. You know, from Cerebus. :)

cerebus_004_elrod_1.jpg

#12 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

I forgot to put in Donaldson's Covenant series. I just finished The Last Dark and was mightily disappointed. I think his first series was pretty good, but the second and third series were pretty depressing.

I followed Xanth quite avidly for a while, I'm not sure why I stopped. I enjoyed his Adept and Incarnations series.

I enjoyed the Deryni series too, but the King Kelson books seemed less interesting than the prior ones. I haven't quite figured out what I felt was lacking or bad.

#13 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm with you with the Thomas Covenant Books. I can remember enjoying the first series but nowt after that. The Wheel of Time has finally finished (I started that when I was at Secondary school so that counts). I don't think I would recommend it to someone but it did open my eyes to Brandon Sanderson and I am a massive fan of most of his work. There aren't that many authors where I will try and get the hardback on the day of release but he is one (Jim Butcher is the other one that springs to mind). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wotc dnd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge