#81 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Umm, that's odd; according to the wiki, a player can only become a Patron if they've got a stat of 200+ and sundry other bonuses, which is quite a way off for Bloke Thighburn, still. Maybe @Thing or @Hal would be more eligible?

Strange, I may have misunderstood it ... Hal and Thing are not there yet I don't think but I am greasing the wheels by inviting them out for tea and scones at Mrs Miggins' Coffee Shop - so when they inevitably overthrow the Trator Emperess I will be given a kushty Cabinet position in their Government of all Beings...

#82 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

You guys should consider checking out Unhallowed Metropolis, it's like a tabletop RPG version of Fallen London. (Not that Fantasy Steampunk Noir is such a rare sub-genre these days, but even so.)

pic1500376_md.jpg

If I can return to PM's comment, I would like to run a game set in Fallen London.  The background seems a lot of fun and would make an interesting setting for some steampunk-fantasy-Victoriana-gaslight-noir fun! Unhallowed Metropolis looks like a good system for a tabletop version of Fallen London, but I don't own it and the background would require a little tweaking I believe.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for systems?  I thought Fate might capture the essence of the game well.  Perhaps pare the skills back to Watchful, Shadowy, Dangerous and Persuasive would keep teh flavour of it.

On a seperate note I really like the use of immaterial things such as information and experiences, such as Romantic Notions or Whispered Secrets as 'rewards'.  It would be interesting to incorporate that into an rpg so that PCs aren't just expecting gold for completing the quest but can accquire and 'spend' abstract qualities such as Inklings of Identity.

#83 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

The urchin espionage & informant network in Spite informs us that plans were made for Knife & Candle - A Fallen London Tabletop RPG. They even got Vincent Baker, of Apocalypse World and Dogs in the Vineyard fame, on board for the job. Sadly, these good intentions seem to have become paving stones in the Brass Embassy, instead:

• megazver
What happened to Knife and Candle the tabletop RPG? I was really excited about that. Have you considered offering the task to someone else? Fallen London seems exquisitely suited for this sort of game.
  • lessofthat
Vincent and John apparently decided they didn't want to do it. We heard about that second-hand, which left us disinclined to spend time with another false start. (To be fair to them, their involvement was always quite casual, yeah-cool-project, and the indie RPG crowd is driven more by art than commerce.) We are talking to someone else.

However, people have already started thinking of making homebrewed versions - and you're not the only person who are reaching for the FATE books:

Personally, I feel that FATE is particularly well suited for this, and given the way it's licensed (OGL), you don't need to actually ask for a license. BTW, one the creators of FATE plays this game http://www.fallenlon...ofile/fredhicks

#84 Gorion

Gorion

Kobold

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCandlekeep

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

A real shame it fell through. I would have loved to see what they cooked up. It's such a unique setting that I'd be genuinely interested to see how they translated it. And the background's rich and deep enough that it'd probably take decades to run out of material to adapt...you know, when my ill-fated CoC game collapses, I'm going to see if I can drum up interest anywhere in a game set in Fallen London. Because it's too great an idea not to use.

#85 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

I'm going to see if I can drum up interest anywhere in a game set in Fallen London. Because it's too great an idea not to use.

Yeah, it's a shame there isn't a forum for playing PBP games, on a website that's already crawling with Fallen London fans. ;)

In the meantime, people who prefer dungeon-crawls may want to check out the Beta version of Below, by the same people who brought you Fallen London.

What is BELOW? Below is a narrative take on a roguelike dungeon-crawl. Its inspirations include Beowulf, Tolkien's Moria, and LeGuin's The Tombs of Atuan: dungeons that told a story. What drives you to explore the awful places under the earth, and what's at stake if you fail?

#86 Gorion

Gorion

Kobold

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCandlekeep

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

...it's early in the morning, give me a break. ;) Also, oooh, Below looks interesting. Gonna have to check it out. ^_^

#87 Gorion

Gorion

Kobold

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCandlekeep

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

There's rattus in my lattus! And good lord, but this storyline does drag. I've been working on it a week, ever since I made the mistake of trolling around for stories to play, and since then I think I've gained a dozen Dangerous levels and finished a few other storylets! It's kind of amusing, I'll admit, and the range of options and consequences really make it feel like an all-out war, but I'm pretty certain that outright Ambitions probably don't take this long. -_-

#88 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

It does drag yes ... It's a bit like you've been overcome with one of the menaces... :(

#89 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Bloke Thighburn has purchased a Talkative Rattus Faber. The chattering little nuisance will come in quite handy, once it's time to pick up the weekly pay check - it's quite easy to finagle some more moolah, since the employer will agree to anything to get the loquacious pest out of their office. :)

I tried to get this to work and convince the game that my stats were lower 70 when they weren't. It didn't work...

#90 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

Looks like the moderators made some changes, recently.

It now updates based on your base, unmodified stat, rather than taking modifications into account. I'm guessing that you have a Shadowy of 70 and equipped a Talkative Rattus Faber to bring it down to 45.

Yes, this precisely. We made the change because a) it doesn't make narrative sense that you can get more out of a training profession if your Talkative Rattus is equipped and b) players with sufficiently low base stats quite often forgot to remove their gear, and so frustratingly lost out on the benefit.

The message is less lucent than one might wish. I suspect fixing that would be non-trivial because of the way (I suspect) base quality checks work; but I'll add it to my feedback spreadsheet, and we'll see what happens.

However, don't eat your Talkative Rattus Faber just yet; he may still prove useful.

Lethal Joke Item: The Ridiculous Hat, Bottled Oblivion, and Talkative Rattus Faber all reduce your stats. Why would you want this? Because some storylets get locked off once your stats rise too high, and you may still find them useful at high levels. For example, Spite has a cheap, powerful way of reducing suspicion, while at high levels you have to pay for a smaller reduction in the Flit. Your stats also grow faster from failing difficult challenges than succeeding at trivial ones, and your item bonuses contribute to this difficulty. If you're going to be grinding a storylet to raise your stats, you might as well lower your chances to "almost impossible" to get the most benefit, though with that, you'll have to look for storylets that don't penalize on failure.

• Recently, the Ridiculous Hat and Bottled Oblivion items have been changed from equipment to usable items that damage your stats, which means you can now lower your abilities to whatever level you want, though you'll have to grind back up afterwards. The Talkative Rattus-Faber still works like he always did, though his stat penalty has been quintupled.
  • Exile in the Tomb-Colonies has a challenge that you want to fail. Lowering your stats can make this much easier.

#91 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:57 AM

Yes, true! I had found this other use for the talkative Rattus already. There are some good stories that improve my standing with certain groups that I can now only access with the help of my rodent friends!

#92 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

I am hunting Jack-Of-Smiles :) Need to set my clipper out to sea and track the blighter down...

Hal :hal:

#93 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

A clipper? You must be a person-of-some-note!

#94 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

How kind of you to say so, sir. Yes, I am indeed :)

#95 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

I have a ship!  :) 

#96 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

Congratulations! :) What's the next achievement you've got your sights set on?

#97 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Yay :) He now gets to vanish to sea for a while and poke around the little islands :)

I am currently on one of them myself :D

What kind of ship did you get?

#98 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

I got a zubmarine of course!  Yaharr!  What have you got @Hal ?  Where's worth going to?  I found a plated seal - I think the Bishop will approve....

My next achievement, @PM is to get myself back into the University, after that incident with the chancellor, so I'm ploughing the waves in search of material for a thesis that will get me back into academia...

I do have a longer term plan to get to the Iron Republic but apparently I need to speak to the Numismatrix to get safe passage. Do you know where I can find her / unlock her story?

I am not going North.

#99 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

I have a Zee Clipper and it is super fast :)

I agree that the Bishop will approve of the plated seal especially if you can properly prepare it for him :)

I am in good standing with the university and have yet to get to the Iron Republic myself. @Thing has been and tells me that it is extremely hurty.

I may consider going North if it would end this terrible hunger...

#100 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

As to what is worth it out at sea, I am currently on Hunter's Island grinding my Watchful :)

I find the sea stuff rather dry to be honest. Thing might have a better insight than I do but most of the islands are just cycles like Flute Street and find that kind of boring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge