#21 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

If I have this correctly, moving directly to Lambert North would be an illegal move whilst playing with the basic rules, having first requiring a stop at a location capable of a line transfer such as Piccadilly or Embankment. While such a move may be possible if we were using the random weather tables and had favorable conditions to arrive ahead of schedule, it is currently not an option. However I don't regard Lambert North as a strong position, so I shall move us onto the Blue line as South Kensington, and moving forward to Green Park.

#22 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Ha! Ha! And three-fold ha! You have fallen for the classic Umbridge-Weathercock gambit, as the tense rules debate distracted you from the hotel that yours truly had purchased upon the very station that you moved to. *Points to tiny Monopoly piece* You will now be required to pay a remuneration of 12 guineas, or suffer a penalty of being made to walk eight minutes in public, without a hat. :D For shame!

#23 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

Ha! Ha! And three-fold ha! You have fallen for the classic Umbridge-Weathercock gambit, as the tense rules debate distracted you from the hotel that yours truly had purchased upon the very station that you moved to. *Points to tiny Monopoly piece* You will now be required to pay a remuneration of 12 guineas, or suffer a penalty of being made to walk eight minutes in public, without a hat. :D For shame!

I believe you've forgotten the bonus influence I received over construction projects by my choice of Putney Bridge as my starting position. Though you applied for a Hotel built in Green Park, I use my influence to cause a mix up in the paperwork, and you have the permits to build instead at Holland Park, unless you wish to take the penalty of standing in line at the municipal offices to get that sorted out. Unfortunately you have rather forced me to use that influence earlier than expected.

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

The frak did I just read? o_O

#25 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

Well, I'm gonna take advantage of @Daniel's confusion to place my starting piece at Stanmore. Not only do I get the Most Northerly condition, which means I can freeze someone else's piece for a turn once this game, but I also have gravity on my side. Always helps. 

Oh, and finally, using the Jubilee trio: C3, C4 and C5. Unless I'm very much mistaken, I just sunk one of @Hal's tube cars. 

#26 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

The frak did I just read? o_O

Calvinball_small.jpg

Well, I'm gonna take advantage of @Daniel's confusion to place my starting piece at Stanmore.

Oh, everyone is allowed a starting piece, now? Traditional rules state that only one piece is on the board at any moment, and players take turns moving it; however, if we're playing by the inverse Marquis of Fantailler rules, then...

*Goes into duplicator machine*

*Infinite number of monkeys come out*

*Each monkey places a playing piece on the board, thus occupying every station at once, winning the game, forever*

*Infinite no. of monkeys go off to type up copy of Shakespeare's complete works*

:)

Anyone up for a game of Snootington Crescent? Who wants to be the deer? *Cocks shotgun*

#27 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

Nurse!  Mr Monkey needs his medication, he's over excited himself again.

I'm sorry @Tulty, but we are playing by Norwich standards as PM says and so only one piece is needed.  I believe we can ignore the furry gent's move as hyperbole, but unfortunatly your attack on the piece still stands and so our rear coach has been destroyed meaning that play can only take place widdershins.  I believe we are at Stanmore, play on.

#28 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

I assume we did not veto the framework laid down in the Bradford convention? In which case I will spend my turn preparing the artillery, before we lose more cars.

#29 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

I assume we did not veto the framework laid down in the Bradford convention? In which case I will spend my turn preparing the artillery, before we lose more cars.

transport-london_underground-tubes-under

#30 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

Careful @Pencil-Monkey, or I shall have to implement the dial-up connection supplement rule of 1990, regarding the posting of images. That they be for explanation of strategic moves only, in order to save on bandwidth, though I shall instead implement it to prevent distraction tactics from being used in game. There are enough ways to distract under the current rules as it is, as have been demonstrated.

#31 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

That was a strategic move - Chewzy chose to escalate the arms race by prepping the big guns, hence it is now permissible under the 1979 Oslo conventions to replace Charing Cross station with Quite Cross, thereby twarting any attempts from other players to be in any way charitable. (Looking at you, Slarty).

#32 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

Given that there have been three or more exchanges since play moved to Stanmore, as a informed bystander, I believe I am permitted to invoke the Garching-Forschungszentrum ruling (Munich, 1992), to transfer play from grey line London (as Stanmore is an end-line station) to gray line NYC, Canarsie - Rockaway Parkway, given the number of players currently residing in the North American continent.

#33 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

[...] I believe I am permitted to invoke the Garching-Forschungszentrum ruling (Munich, 1992), to transfer play from grey line London (as Stanmore is an end-line station) to gray line NYC, Canarsie - Rockaway Parkway, given the number of players currently residing [...]

• Slartibartfast - Australia
  • Lockhart - Canada
  • BigJackBrass - UK
  • bodhranist - Russia
  • P. Monkey - Municipal Zoo

...So, that number would be zero, then, would it? ;)

#34 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Grief, are you actually playing under the Astor ruling? It's sensible that Alaska remain within the technical remit of Asia, given its former Russian ownership, but ruling that all of Canada (besides Quebec, obviously) is by extension also outside North America has always seemed to me to be the height of folly. Besides which, you've neglected comrade chewzter, who by virtue of his undeclared location is assumed to reside, for purposes of internet competition, at the server location in Texas, along with Grand (or possibly lesser) Vizier Halpin, whose piece should be well on its way to Mudchute if he is quite finished frolicking in Shepard's Bush.

#35 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Curses, a STI foiled by deft opponents! (That's Stealth-Line-Invasion, clearly). I suppose I've rather backed myself into a corner.

Hmm, well, seen as @bodhranist just played a trans-atlantic gambit into the Northern continent, I'll reverse the polarity of the Board and pop us down in Southfields.  

#36 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Grief, are you actually playing under the Astor ruling? It's sensible that Alaska remain within the technical remit of Asia, given its former Russian ownership, but ruling that all of Canada (besides Quebec, obviously) is by extension also outside North America has always seemed to me to be the height of folly. Besides which, you've neglected comrade chewzter, who by virtue of his undeclared location is assumed to reside, for purposes of internet competition, at the server location in Texas, along with Grand (or possibly lesser) Vizier Halpin, whose piece should be well on its way to Mudchute if he is quite finished frolicking in Shepard's Bush.

Did you sleep through geography lessons, or did you just not go?

...Is what an aggressive, bitter-minded individual might say. This gentle-monkey will simply point out that Canada is, in fact, the capital of France. So there.

Furthermore, as any child knows, Texas is an anagram of Ex-Sat, or Ex-Satellite (State), and is therefore classified as a diplomatic embassy belonging to Outer Space.

Why else would it be called the Lone Star state?

Curses, a STI foiled by deft opponents! (That's Stealth-Line-Invasion, clearly). I suppose I've rather backed myself into a corner.

Hmm, well, seen as @bodhranist just played a trans-atlantic gambit into the Northern continent, I'll reverse the polarity of the Board and pop us down in Southfields.

Unfortunately, reversing the polarity of the board will place the game in the Antipodes, i.e. New Zealand. Did you remember to accelerate to 88 mph? Auckland's underground railway system won't be fully operational until the 2030s, so you'll need to use the DeLorean.

auckland-rail-dream_copy.jpg

#37 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Did you sleep through geography lessons, or did you just not go?

...Is what an aggressive, bitter-minded individual might say. This gentle-monkey will simply point out that Canada is, in fact, the capital of France. So there.

Furthermore, as any child knows, Texas is an anagram of Ex-Sat, or Ex-Satellite (State), and is therefore classified as a diplomatic embassy belonging to Outer Space.

And Outer Space was colonized by the United States, bringing it right back into North America, which I see you've recognised by allowing Tulti's polarization maneuver, rather than arguing against it as you would if you didn't recognise the validity of my Canarsie tranfer. I probably should have called for a venue continuation into Milan (which would have entirely appropriate, see Rumbellow, 1976 (or possibly '78)), rather than NYC, but it is fun to see what happens when new players change hemispheres.

I'll note again that I'm only participating as a Disinterested Observer (Babbage interpretation), but will also draw attention to the fact that Tulty is in fact continuing his subterfuge-oriented tactics by not calling out that his polarity reversal doesn't take full effect on a grey line, and so he actually only ends up at Norwood 205th St., NYC, although he is within his rights to continue the subterfuge, again given that play began on a gray line.

#38 Tulty

Tulty

Goblin

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Now would be the time to release the Anthrax packages under everyone's seats, then? 

Also, little-known fact: the location for the Shire in New Zealand was recently opened up to the underground, so:

Bag-End. 

#39 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Rats. Just realised that by using Rumbelow I have to sit out my next go.

#40 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Now would be the time to release the Anthrax packages under everyone's seats, then? 

Well yes, but announcing it ruins the surprise, doesn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge