#1 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Greetings gaming fans!  And welcome to another edition of something to do on the internet!

After @Hal 's recent attempts to get us to post more stuff I've been thinging of things to keep us all off that other site (FB) and on this wonderful one!  To keep up the sophisticated and intellectual atmosphere we try so hard to nurture here at rpgmp3.com I would like to announce a game of Mornington Crescent.

Rules

I will keep the game open so anyone may join in and post, although it is obviously bad form to double-post, as that will invalidate any further use of replacement bus services for the duration of the round.

To keep things simple we will be playing with the 'London Underground 2013' board, pre 2014 strikes.  I will presume you all have a copy but to keep things simple I will post a pic of the map we will be using after I have explained the rules.  Please update your own board with the counters as otherwise it wll get confusing.

We are waiving the Weather rules and the Random Encounter rules as there may be beginners who want to participate.

I don't need to tell you where to start as that should be obvious.

YOU ARE READY TO PLAY MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

Optional Universal Core Basic Rules -

- The play starts at a designated station on the Underground network and players take it in turns to declare moves from there.

- As we are playing by the Council of Norwich standards only one counter needs to be in play and players take it in turns to move this from station to station.

- Obviously only legitimate moves are allowed.

- The game ends with the first player to move the counter to Mornington Crescent station.

- This person is the winner although technically none of us are winners in this game...

Edited by Slartibartfast, 10 February 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#2 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

SV%2Btube%2B2011.jpg

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Obviously this invalidate any further use of replacement bus services for the duration of the round.

YOU ARE READY TO PLAY MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!

#4 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

While I have absolutely no Idea what Mornington Crescent is....

I AM READY TO PLAY MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

#5 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hmm okay, if I got this right: would Northolt be a legitimate starting point?

#6 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm in - I declare that I am Grand Vizier of my team of one unless there are others who might want to join, in which case I need a Conductor and a Bell Hop.

In addition we will be starting at Cockfosters and working our way to Mudchute with a cozy and exhausting stop in Shepherd's Bush!

Hal :hal:

#7 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

I am both fascinated and terrified. I shall have to peruse and understand these rules and see if I can't jump in.

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

That's a bold start. I'm going to invoke the 1977 Rumbelow ruling and say: Edgware Road.

#9 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

Hmmm, I shall have to find a larger and more precise volume of rules to peruse. However, as suggested, and seeing it is not taken yet, I shall start at Putney Bridge. A solid move, if amatuer, however it is the most appropriate for now I believe.

#10 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

While I have absolutely no Idea what Mornington Crescent is....

I AM READY TO PLAY MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

GOOD!

Hmm okay, if I got this right: would Northolt be a legitimate starting point?

Unfortunatly not - since this is not an Extended game we cannot start in Zone 5, but other than that nice opening move.

I'm in - I declare that I am Grand Vizier of my team of one unless there are others who might want to join, in which case I need a Conductor and a Bell Hop.

In addition we will be starting at Cockfosters and working our way to Mudchute with a cozy and exhausting stop in Shepherd's Bush!

Hal :hal:

That's fine just remember that you are leaving yourself open to a Pasher Maneuver if you remain as Grand Vizier.

Yep, Cockfosters is a classic opener, well done.

I am both fascinated and terrified. I shall have to peruse and understand these rules and see if I can't jump in.

When you're ready :)

That's a bold start. I'm going to invoke the 1977 Rumbelow ruling and say: Edgware Road.

Nicely followed.  Who's next?

Oh, just to clarify I've edited the opening post and added a couple of basic rules so as to help new-comers.

#11 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:05 AM

Unfortunatly not - since this is not an Extended game we cannot start in Zone 5, but other than that nice opening move.

Yep, Cockfosters is a classic opener, well done.

Cockfosters is also in Zone 5. Is that what Hal's Grand Vizier business allows him to do? I really must find where these expanded team leader rolls are mentioned. Hal seems to be going straight ahead to using variants.

#12 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

You are correct - Hal can as Grand Vizier.

It's really a simple game, but there are a couple of addendums that sometimes confuse newer player.  Don't worry, you'll catch up soon.

If it's ok, I'll go next and head from Putney Bridge to Earl's Court as I can double my move being on the District Line.

#13 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

I shall move to South Kensington, which, in accordance with the 1982 ruling of the game "Hedgeworth vs Tumbleton" (I'm sure you all remember the final moves of this landmark game) will allow me to demote Hal from Grand Vizier to Moderately Sized Vizier.

This should replace priviliges #4, #7 and #64 and invoke the special rule #72 of him only being allowed to talk in rhymes.

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

Foul! Cry foul, gentle sirs! The most honored and esteemed Mr. Bartfast is in error, as he neglected to play the "Cheery Wave From Christopher Lee" card prior to announcing his intention to move to Earl's Court, thus making his play (and Chewzter's follow-up) null and void. :(

As per the 1983 ruling in the game of Furnley v. Chambers-Chalmers (see the updated rules booklet no. H2, pp. 11-13), it is now mandatory to remove the elephant in the room, introduced by Mr. Bartfast's dastardly attempt at foul play, by moving to any station adjacent to Elephant & Castle. Suggestion: Lambeth North.

#15 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

Ah but sir Monkey, you seem to have overlooked the addendum on page 14 of said ruling, clearly stating that the ruling only allows you to revoke additional rules OR take action against said elephant as everything else would be a presumptuous power grab the likes of which cause The Queen to frown, bless her.

The Coup d'etat and the subsequent poetic compulsion should still remain in effect.

#16 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

A lesser man would be sorely tempted to exclaim: Pshaw! Balderdash! Etc.!, at such youthful displays of naïveté, Mr. Chewzter. Thankfully (being of the simian persuasion), your humble servant shall remain blissfully unfettered by such crass cravings.

It is obvious to even the most novice dabbler in this fine game - dare one say it? The veritable Game of Games - that since the noble pachyderms are as unto royalty amongst the beasts of darkest Africa, they can be considered a "ruling" onto themselves, therefore making it possible to, as you put it: "take action against said elephant" whilst "revoking additional rules" (as covered by the addendum-to-the-previous-addendum, ibid. p. 15).

Once more: Lambeth North.

#17 Choothulhu

Choothulhu

Kobold

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationThe Moon. Cheesey, wot.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Dear Sirs,

Please be advised that this game of Mornington Crescent is not valid, pursuant to MCR 7.2.14(a) [14th ed].

You will be aware that all players must act in their own capacity, and any attempts to collude, including the use of a single counter is prohibited.

I trust you shall now either desist this madness or revert to the correct interpretation of this beautiful game or risk the wrath of the Transport for London (Bozza div.).

Yours sincerely,

Choothulhu (Mrs.)

#18 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

A lesser man would be sorely tempted to exclaim: Pshaw! Balderdash! Etc.!, at such youthful displays of naïveté, Mr. Chewzter. Thankfully (being of the simian persuasion), your humble servant shall remain blissfully unfettered by such crass cravings.

It is obvious to even the most novice dabbler in this fine game - dare one say it? The veritable Game of Games - that since the noble pachyderms are as unto royalty amongst the beasts of darkest Africa, they can be considered a "ruling" onto themselves, therefore making it possible to, as you put it: "take action against said elephant" whilst "revoking additional rules" (as covered by the addendum-to-the-previous-addendum, ibid. p. 15).

Once more: Lambeth North.

While I respect your admirable knowledge of the ramifications of this game, I find your disregard for poetry abhorrent.

Instead of holding a grudge however, I shall simply await my turn.

Dear Sirs,

Please be advised that this game of Mornington Crescent is not valid, pursuant to MCR 7.2.14(a) [14th ed].

You will be aware that all players must act in their own capacity, and any attempts to collude, including the use of a single counter is prohibited.

I trust you shall now either desist this madness or revert to the correct interpretation of this beautiful game or risk the wrath of the Transport for London (Bozza div.).

Yours sincerely,

Choothulhu (Mrs.)

Aha! But as we as players are many, acting as one, we constitue a single party, thus allowing us the use of a single counter.

While this would ordinarily mean, that we are part of a single-player game, I will remind you, that all games are played against fate, thus making this "RPGmp3 vs Fate".

#19 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

Dear Sirs,

Yours sincerely,

Choothulhu (Mrs.)

This objection is barely worthy of notice, as MCR 7.2.14(a) [14th ed] only applies to gameplay that occurs at least 3 degrees and 8 minutes south of the Tropic of Capricorn. Furthermore, Bozza division has no jurisdiction over non-bus-related moves.

While I respect your admirable knowledge of the ramifications of this game, I find your disregard for poetry abhorrent.
Instead of holding a grudge however, I shall simply await my turn.

Rest assured, none hold poetry in higher regard than this gentle-ape. Why, one would be hard pressed to find an imprint or periodical with softer pages than the fine lyrical chapbooks, with which to wipe one's backside after banana-'levenses.

Aha! But as we as players are many, acting as one, we constitue a single party, thus allowing us the use of a single counter.

Mmmf! *Puffs on a fresh pipeful of dried banana leaves* Indeed. Eh? Oh, rather. E pluribus bellum, don'tcherknow.

11treasure.jpg

#20 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

I'm glad that's sorted then.

So to clarify, we are at Lambeth North...

Play on!

I believe it's @Lockhart 's turn

Edited by Slartibartfast, 10 February 2014 - 03:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge