• Create Account
Photo

Gaming Grunts: Improving our audio quality?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask in what area(s) could the Gaming Grunts improve its audio quality?  Note that this is not a question about our choice of games, players, or scenarios.  This is purely about the quality of the audio.

For instance, there had been some complaints about the dog barking, and the crumpling of bags. I set about editing out Max's barking where I could, and I asked the players to be a bit more careful about food.

Now that we're in a new building, the room and table layout is a lot different, hopefully for the better. Starting in a few more episodes in The Flood, we'll have switched to a more square table, so most everybody is the same distance from the mic.

Please be honest, but not personal.  I massage the audio quite a bit, so I don't mind adding a few more filters into the workflow.  Are there differential volume issues between players, are we not describing our actions so it's hard to visualize what's going on, etc.? Anything is fair game.

#2 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

I am not a big audiophile but the quality has always been pretty good for me.  There have been occasions where one player or another was quieter than the others, but that is almost certainly down to their natural volume and distance from the mic.  I couldnt pick one player off the top of my head that had a volume problem consistently.  Bag rustling and dog barking, while occasionally annoying was well below my threshold for affecting the experience.  We at Ootak certainly shouldnt throw any stones there given food hour and dog hour.  Not particularly useful feedback for improving your process I realize, but figured I would throw it out there in the spirit of more participation on the forum and give you a thumbs up on efforts to date.

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

For instance, there had been some complaints about the dog barking, and the crumpling of bags. I set about editing out Max's barking where I could, and I asked the players to be a bit more careful about food.

If your group only has time to play during lunch breaks, there's probably no way to completely avoid the associated background noise. From the sessions of your games that I've listened to, the background noises never seemed to be much of an issue, just as LightPagoda commented.

We at Ootak certainly shouldnt throw any stones there given food hour and dog hour.

Don't forget baby hour and bloody hour! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge