#21 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

We would have to figure it around the Shattered Star game. I think we all found it difficult running 2 games on alternate weeks.

Hal :hal:

In fairness, I don't think we ever really did a proper alternation like that. It was more like, 3-4 session of SS, then a session of ToT, then another 3-4 of SS. It didn't help that ToT took more prep time than SS because it was homebrew instead of module, so it was kinda easier to let the slide to the side for us.

#22 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

I ment mostly the Lockhart and Hals Shatered Star campaign and the Skull and Shakles one. The dungeoncrawly aspect of it with Hal being a very subdude player Roleplay wise is wierd to me. The Skull and Shakles one is just by its very nature procidural with "On day X of the jurney you can ONLY do those actions". 

Also I quite miss the table talk in Rolemaster and the fun everyone was clearly having before and during play. 

I was not very happy with how Skull and Shackles ran myself.  If I were to run it again, and there was some interesting stuff there, I would totally compress that first book a lot.  No need to pound on the monotony of being a lowly swabby as much as the adventure does I think.  It seemed to open up in the second book, but I would condense that first chapter so very much.

As for Shattered Star, having run that for my other group I can say it was deliberately designed to be more of a dungeon crawl than many of the previous adventures.  My group loved our Kingmaker game.  The open world exploration helped keep if from feeling so linear I think.

#23 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

I ment mostly the Lockhart and Hals Shatered Star campaign and the Skull and Shakles one. The dungeoncrawly aspect of it with Hal being a very subdude player Roleplay wise is wierd to me. The Skull and Shakles one is just by its very nature procidural with "On day X of the jurney you can ONLY do those actions". 

Also I quite miss the table talk in Rolemaster and the fun everyone was clearly having before and during play.

You should check out some of Lockhart's oodles of other, non-Shattered Star stuff. Admittedly, none of the Yorkton Gamer campaigns are currently active, but they feature loads of roleplaying (and, of course, plenty of combat, at least in the Pathfinder sessions).

And Mr. Steve just uploaded a massive pile of audio from the BAGgies, they've roleplaying and table chatter coming out the wazoo. :)

I'm happy to have a shot at running RM in Roll20 - it might be fun. Though I have a terrible tendency to not actually prep much for it which might be difficult with an online game that requires maps :)

We would have to figure it around the Shattered Star game. I think we all found it difficult running 2 games on alternate weeks.

Perhaps the scheduling issues could be resolved by merging this topic with a suggestion from another thread, i.e. a play-by-post game section on the forums?

Hal might not have time to run a PBP Rolemaster game, but if @Akira1121 or someone else with Rolemaster experience was willing to step up to the plate, people might be interested in participating in a PBP Rolemaster campaign.

#24 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

Perhaps the scheduling issues could be resolved by merging this topic with a suggestion from another thread, i.e. a play-by-post game section on the forums?

Hal might not have time to run a PBP Rolemaster game, but if @Akira1121 or someone else with Rolemaster experience was willing to step up to the plate, people might be interested in participating in a PBP Rolemaster campaign.

Combat would have to be well organised to prevent it from running on too long - i.e. ensure that everyone has access to all the tables they need.  Constantly waiting for the GM to post what a 66 on C Ripping Crit table is or for the player to respond would really slow it down; it is often 24 hours at least between my posts on the Dresden Files game.  Aside from that - yay!

#25 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

Combat would have to be well organised to prevent it from running on too long - i.e. ensure that everyone has access to all the tables they need.  Constantly waiting for the GM to post what a 66 on C Ripping Crit table is or for the player to respond would really slow it down; it is often 24 hours at least between my posts on the Dresden Files game.  Aside from that - yay!

He doesn't need to respond - his guts are ripped out and he is bleeding to death and has sprayed all his buddies with viscera. :) And they have to make maneuver checks not to slip on his spleen. :)

Hal

#26 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

In fairness, I don't think we ever really did a proper alternation like that. It was more like, 3-4 session of SS, then a session of ToT, then another 3-4 of SS. It didn't help that ToT took more prep time than SS because it was homebrew instead of module, so it was kinda easier to let the slide to the side for us.

I guess that's true to be honest. It was hard work prepping a Homebrew and running it online. There is just more work to do than if it were a tabletop game.

So are you saying you think we should try it again? And see if we can do a proper system switch? Or do a few of one and then a few of another?

#27 AndrewRJ

AndrewRJ

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, Wa

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

My 2 cents, it would be great to hear...  or hell... even play in a rolemaster game.  The audio here was my first experience with that system and something about that crit table system was a blast to listen too.  It really added somethin to what otherwise becomes fairly straight forward, sack of hit points minus some and repeat.  I liked that you could have serious repercusions from a lucky hit.

#28 ScottS

ScottS

Raven

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

I'm interested in RM and I listened to the entire previous cast with the Texans.
However, I probably wouldn't listen to a new RM cast unless Hal ran it with a larger and/or different group of players.
I'm not a patron, so I don't know if there are internal reasons for running with smaller groups (only 2-3 PCs) the last couple of years.
What I'm finding as a listener, is that a) party-based rpgs are less interesting with less PCs (especially when certain "roles" must be filled, e.g. Lockhart running both a fighter bot and an arcane bot in early Shattered Star); and b) it's harder to ignore annoying people when they're individually taking up more air time.
Changing systems might affect a) but not so much b).

#29 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

(especially when certain "roles" must be filled, e.g. Lockhart running both a fighter bot and an arcane bot in early Shattered Star)

Hmmm? Who did I run for arcane? I gave them Brunsk fairly early, but that's more so because I'm a softy and don't like killing PCs early level just because there aren't enough HP to go around. There was Natalya, but she was just an NPC that could be convinced for help, or asked to stay back and I think I played her more like a rogue, she really isn't that interesting magic wise. That was just part of the adventure, as are other NPCs that occasionally join in for short periods of time.

Regarding number of players, I've just tended to like smaller, more intimate groups myself of late. Maybe that's just because one of my funnest and longest running groups has been just me and three players. It keeps things simple and quick to schedule and play, everybody can get their turn without being left out, and in general, with experienced players, three honestly is enough to do most of the PF APs that I like to run, specific hard encounters aside. Honestly, early levels aside, I'm not a big believer that PF has roles that must be filled for success. Once you get past level three, affordable magic items and cooperation can make most party combinations viable, if some more difficult than others.

But this is getting a bit away from RM. Which there has been discussions of.

#30 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

On the subject of party size with regards to a recorded session, a larger party tends to have more banter (both in and out of character), but mechanics (mostly combat) slow down a lot. A smaller party tends to be more efficient from a mechanical standpoint. Class roles especially in pathfinder don't make much difference in the long run. In fact, I feel having fewer players and an odd mix of classes can often lead to players thinking outside the box more to overcome deficiencies in the party makeup, which can lead to some very entertaining encounters.

#31 ScottS

ScottS

Raven

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

>>>Hmmm? Who did I run for arcane?

I don't have the mod, but from the wiki description I'd guess that yes it was Natalya (the one that was Greasing and luck buffing people, possibly also AC buffing with a wand, although the latter may have been Gary/UMD).
Since we're getting into "ur doin it wrong" territory, I'm just going to say that I strongly disagree that there isn't pressure in Pathfinder to build more diverse/balanced parties than, say, loreacle/monk/rogue.
As to whether that's an issue in Rolemaster, I'd say probably less so, but I don't know enough about RM2 to say that for sure.  (I played a later version of the game which seemed to be more about "guys with swords beating each other to death, then getting the bleeds fixed and random giblets replaced by a mandatory healing class and/or herb bot").

#32 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:16 AM

Regarding number of players, I've just tended to like smaller, more intimate groups myself of late. Maybe that's just because one of my funnest and longest running groups has been just me and three players.

You mean Mike, Kurtis, Scott, Paul, Vince etc. from Dragon's Delve? They're more than three people, aren't they? ;)

But yeah, if you're referring to the ABC group*, they definitely sound like a great bunch of people, were much capable of keeping a game (and an AP podcast) entertaining. :)

*Aimee, Brad, Chaos-Brian. ;)

#33 Kolobos

Kolobos

RPGMP3 Patron

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

I'd like to say, "Why isn't this a thing already happening?"

Yes, more of Hal running people into things! Any and all of the things...and perhaps simultaneously.

#34 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

Why isn't this happening? I don't know. Whatever could be the reason? *Hands doing a deathgrip on the arms of the GM chair* :D

#35 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

We could kill Lockhart.  Then Hal would have to run, right? :P

#36 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

*Hands doing a deathgrip on the arms of the GM chair* :D

Got a GM who's stuck to his chair, and just won't budge?

funny-pictures-auto-freeman-hordon-35810

Y'know, to wedge him out of the chair, using the crowbar for leverage, and, say, one of armrests as a fulcrum.

We could kill Lockhart.

Or that. That's also crowbarable.

#37 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Well, you know what they say about how easy it is to kill Canadians.

195473-feb072098_hi_civil_war_fallen_son

#38 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

Why do I see this turning into a take on Misery?

#39 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Why do I see this turning into a take on Misery?

Or Scott Pilgrim. :)

"Carter Lockhart falls in love with his GM Screen, and is forced to fight the Seven Eeevil Patrons who want to take it away from him."

And then extravagant manga special effects battle time combat WA-POW! happens.

#40 LordSephleon

LordSephleon

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

<a voice rises from the thick mist>

I also strongly support more of Hal running RM (no offense, Lockhart; it's just... you know... Hal and Rolemaster). It's my favorite overall game on this site, and I go back to listen to all 31 episodes every so often or so because it's just that awesome. Admittedly, part of what made it a great listening experience is the group, so it would definitely be a different atmosphere with a new crew (even if Ned were to return and revise his "bitter elf healer" role).

On a side-yet-related note, I commend you RM GMs. I have been a GM for more than half my lifetime of 32 years and I know my head would explode with all those charts and tables. Probably another reason I really enjoyed the podcast. Admittedly, I never knew of the system until Hal's game, and I wish I had. Thanks Hal for yet another reason to put my money toward hard-to-find books! :)

And with that...

<the mist clears, and there is no one standing there>

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rolemaster, bribery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge