• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 RPGMP3 Newsbot

RPGMP3 Newsbot

Full Of Awesome

• Inner Circle
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

You've got questions—we've got answers! Here's how it works—each week, our Community Manager will be scouring all available sources to find whatever questions you're asking. We'll pick three of them for R&D to answer.

View the full article

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

So - posting on a bot thread...

Who has been following DnD Next and what do we think about it?

Chances are good I will pick up the core books at the very least and will give it a try on audio but after 4e I am not hopeful that things can be salvaged.

Whatchall think?

Hal :hal:

#3 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

If they make a free SRD like pathfinder I will give it a try, but if not, there is no way I’m spending a penny on a new ED before trying it… 4th killed that possibility.

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

That is true - I doubt anything will be free. This is Hasbro we are ultimately talking about here...

So if they mess this up and get it wrong and it is 4e all over again, what happens to DnD? Consigned to a vault next to the Arc of the Covenant in a basement at Hasbro HQ?

#5 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Wait until the license is worth 12 bucks and add it to templeofspank.com?

#6 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

Ha - like Hasbro would ever sell it. They will bury it so deep that it will only see the light of day for the occasional terrible movie...

#7 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

I love those horrible movies! Have you seen the third D&D movie? It's stangely satisfying.

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I've read a few interesting pieces arguing that the main reason for Hasbro to keep making D&D is to maintain a foundation for the brand, which will increasingly be spun off into other areas outside of gaming, areas where real money can be made. That makes quite a bit of sense, looked at from the point of view of a major company and not a hobby enthusiast or smaller outfit relying on the game itself for revenue.

Everything I've seen about the upcoming edition suggests that, in terms of the game itself, they can't win. It will probably disappoint almost all of the existing fans to some degree, if only because it has that whole baggage train of assorted D&D past editions trailing in its wake. The early rumours that it would allow "old school" and 4e fans to both sit at the same table and each play their favoured style in the same session was always clearly nonsense, since those styles are dramatically opposed. Some people will love the game, some will hate it, but in the current marketplace, maybe for the first time, an awful lot of gamers are likely to just shrug and ignore it, because D&D isn't about them and it's not what they think of when they hear "role-playing."

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

I love those horrible movies! Have you seen the third D&D movie? It's stangely satisfying.

I prefer the 2nd one, Wrath of the Dragon God. I thought 3 was pretty terrible and one is just insulting to everyone. :)

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

BJB - that was most eloquently articulated old chap :)

I actually think I am in the boat of people who really don't care about DnD Next at the moment. I could be persuaded with brides of books or cold hard cash to perhaps change my mind (like they did with some of the bloggers when 4e came out) but shy of that I will likely pick it up to read but I am not excited about playing it.

It has gone from something to look forward to, to something that has to prove itself.

#11 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Meh if you want insulting just watch Zero Charisma...

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Not seen it - is it bad?

#13 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Yap, the whole thing... well, it's very unfunny and insulting in fact.

#14 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

I haven't been following DnDNext at all.  What stage are we at now?  Do we have any idea what it looks like / feels like to play? I believe 3rd ed was compared to a minitures game and 4th to a CCG - do we know what kind of flavour WOTC are going for?

:unsure2:

#15 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

I tried the first playtest and it felt like dumbed down 3.5 with spells structured like 4th (encounter/daily/at-will) but that was ages ago. I think they just pulled the free content and are now going into publishing.

#16 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

I have moved on to Pathfinder to fully to care much about Next.  I can understand several of the decisions they made for 4th and even agree with what they were trying to do, it just wasnt the DnD game I was looking for or wanted.  Clearly a lot of people felt that way with how quick they moved to a new edition and how fast Pathfinder grew.  I will probably take a look at some pdfs I will ....find in order to see what it is about, but I dont anticipate playing it let alone buying.

#17 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

I followed the playtest, but didn't actually playtest. I'm not planning to purchase it, there's plenty of other games I can buy, especially if they follow the same system of releasing book after book that you "need" to buy. I didn't buy 4e either, but I'll bet a lot of folks really hated to have to buy whole new sets of book at a cost of hundreds of dollars.

#18 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I have a good few 4e books - I really wanted to like it but it just felt so 'light' and it actually discouraged roleplaying. It just wanted to move you through encounters. And Skill Challenges reduced roleplaying to a bunch of dice rolls.

Also, I felt they made magic less special by allowing everyone to have wangy magical attacked and defences and healing. Earthdawn has all players being magical in some way but it does it in a cool way that is related to the character class.

I am in with Pathfinder as my DnD Analogue system at the moment...

I have a sliver of hope for Next but I doubt it will manage to get off the ground unless it is very special and they can get folks excited about it again.

#19 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

I followed Next when it was first announced, but pretty quickly lost interest.  For me BJB hit the nail right on the head.  When I think of roleplaying these days my mind goes straight to Savage Worlds.  Hell I've never properly enjoyed a D&D system since 2nd ed.  I only ever ran 3.5 because of pressure from my IRL group at the time.  If I want to play D&D I'll crack open my trunk of Basic/1st Ed.  Simple, fun system, easy to learn hard to master that rewards player skill over wangy rules and mechanical builds.

#20 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

DD_Next.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wotc dnd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge