50 replies to this topic

#21 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

I do a lot of listening at work, since I sit in front of a computer most of the day, and I need something to distract parts of my brain so I can focus on my work

#22 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

I've listened to all of WLD, Rolemaster, the 4e stuff by Hal, Kingmaker by Strand, and all of Shattered Star. And bits and pieces of most other stuff but recently I've stopped listening to games run in systems that I haven't played before (or yet) because I'm very rules oriented and trying to keep rules straight for multiple systems is hard without first hand experience. I think Rolemaster was the only time I managed to listen to a system I'd never played before and stick with it all the way. Which is a testament to it's awesomeness I think ;)

#23 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

I really liked the build up in Mountains of Madness. Great stuff! :)

#24 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

I've listened to all of WLD, Rolemaster, the 4e stuff by Hal, Kingmaker by Strand, and all of Shattered Star. And bits and pieces of most other stuff but recently I've stopped listening to games run in systems that I haven't played before (or yet) because I'm very rules oriented and trying to keep rules straight for multiple systems is hard without first hand experience. I think Rolemaster was the only time I managed to listen to a system I'd never played before and stick with it all the way. Which is a testament to it's awesomeness I think ;)

Have you tried listening to any of the Yorkton Gamers' audio? They've got a wide selection of Pathfinder games. Oh, and the BAGgies played through Warlords & Accordions, which was D&D 3.5, IIRC. There should be enough sessions of WotA to keep anyone busy for a little while. ;)

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'm actually curious.  Hal, Thing Lord of Coding; would it be possible to have something on the site track what audio each account has downloaded and display this on their account?  Through that then have some kind of acheesement system?

e.g.

A Case of Shifting Grammatical Quality Listen to all episodes of the Worlds Largest Dungeon.

A Last Strand of Sanity Listen to 15 episodes from the Strand Gamers

Expecto Patronum Become a Patron for a year.

It could also have the knock-on effect of encouraging those who care to visit the site directly instead of consuming purely through the feed.

#26 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Possible if all downloads are via the site links and not iTunes, etc.

The coding for tracking that kind of thing might be a little tricky to get the matrix of all the various media files mapped to achievements in a sustainable way

#27 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Seems like it would be trivially easy to "download everything" and get every "achievement". That wouldn't help the site's bandwidth either.

#28 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Have you tried listening to any of the Yorkton Gamers' audio? They've got a wide selection of Pathfinder games. Oh, and the BAGgies played through Warlords & Accordions, which was D&D 3.5, IIRC. There should be enough sessions of WotA to keep anyone busy for a little while. ;)

Yorkton's on my list to check out when I have time. Warlords I've started it a few times but just couldn't stay with it long enough to get hooked. I think it starts off kind of slow and gets better further in but I never got far enough in for that. I'll probably give it another try at some point. Though at the rate I go with audio these days it would likely take several years to get through all of it heh.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Valid counters.  Was just something that just popped into my head while reading this thread. :)

#30 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

Yorkton's on my list to check out when I have time.

Try their InSpectres games, they're self-contained sessions and give you a very good idea of how much fun the Yorkies are having (and how much fun it is to listen to them). :)

The Team America: Ghost Police (ep. 1 and ep. 2) sessions give you an introduction to Mike, Kurtis and the other guys from (IIRC) the Wednesday Night Group, whereas the Terranomicon Halloween Special features Aimee, Brad and Brian (Friday Night Group?), who also appear in such timeless classics as the Jade Regent series, the outstanding YGG Tomb of Haggemoth Patron Exclusive, the short-lived Citadel of Pain game, etc.

Warlords I've started it a few times but just couldn't stay with it long enough to get hooked. I think it starts off kind of slow and gets better further in but I never got far enough in for that. I'll probably give it another try at some point. Though at the rate I go with audio these days it would likely take several years to get through all of it heh.

Fair warning, it also tends to slow down quite a bit towards the end, when all the characters are close to EPIC level, with the accompanying EPIC combats, i.e. hour-long micromanaging sessions, where the GM and the players take turn flipping through piles of source books and character sheet addenda to find the obscure spell/ability/whatzit that they want to use, only to find out that the current edition of the rules doesn't support that plug-in, so they have to find another and *BLEUGH*. :P

Other than that, it's great! (Psst... You could start listening with one of the later episodes, and skip the slow intro for later, if you don't mind a teensy-tiny bit of spoilers. Nobody would ever have to know...) ;)

#31 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

I'm actually curious. Hal, Thing Lord of Coding; would it be possible to have something on the site track what audio each account has downloaded and display this on their account? Through that then have some kind of acheesement system? [...] It could also have the knock-on effect of encouraging those who care to visit the site directly instead of consuming purely through the feed.

So... In order to encourage people to visit the forums more, give them a reward that's only valuable to people who hang out on the forums a lot? That... actually makes a lot of sense. :)

Valid counters. Was just something that just popped into my head while reading this thread. :)

If the download-cheevo system has thus been smothered in its infancy, does that mean there's nothing to stop us from decorating ourselves with bushels and bushels of made-up fake-dallions and ImaginAchievements? :)

• Look Mum, No Pants! Listen to one (1) episode of the Pants Campers/Pants Gamers/Gate Happy Camp Slappers/whatevs.
  • All My Pants Are Belong To Oxfam Listen to 15 episodes of the Pants Campers.
  • Eeeeeeeeemo Bandit Listen to every episode of Tropis.
  • I Enjoy Listening To Other People Roleplaying - In Bed Listen to 15 episodes of Jade Regent.
  • Time To Pause For Food Hour Listen to 15 episodes of OOTAK.
  • Tits! Felch! Nork Hammock! Listen to 15 episodes of Whartson Hall.
  • Damn You, Swidge! _angry__by_CookiemagiK.gif Send a kazoo to @ross (gold plating optional).

#32 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

Some statistics that might interest people, and seem to fit the topic:

From the 2012 RPG podcast listener survey results:

rr5udg.png

From the 2013 RPG podcast listener survey results:

24y4ao1.png

#33 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

I think we differ a little from a standard podcast - we tend to be a little bit longer than the average so I wonder if those figures hold true for our stuff...

Hal :hal:

#34 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

I think we differ a little from a standard podcast - we tend to be a little bit longer than the average so I wonder if those figures hold true for our stuff...

Going back and looking at people's responses in this thread, we've got a sample size of 16 people. (Not including Hal, who - by his own admission - doesn't listen.) :O
  • Aethyr: Mostly listens on his commute to and from work.
  • AndrewRJ: Listen on the commute, or while doing a lot of data logging that is tedious. Not at home (has two kids).
  • BigJackBrass: While at work.
  • bodhranist: While doing housework (at home).
  • Dr_Jomster: On the train to and from work.
  • Haxxx: While playing Minecraft at home.
  • kendoyle659: Whilst doing housework or walking places.
  • LightPagoda: At work, also the ride home if it is a particularly good episode.
  • Lockhart: While doing chores (let's call it "at home"), or on his pilgrimages back to Yorkton and the return journey (commute).
  • MrGunpowder: At work.
  • Pencil-Monkey: At work and at home.
  • PrestoJeff: At work, while commuting, at the gym, and while doing chores at home.
  • Slartibartfast: When walking outside or doing chores at home. Not while commuting or at work.
  • thad: Usually I listen to shows first thing on the weekends in bed.
  • Thing: At work.
  • Tulty: Definitely an on-the-move listener. Also while at work (in a library).
So far, it matches the main three results from the surveys: at home, at work or while commuting. If we count people in all three categories (i.e. some listen in all three situations, some in only one or two), that gives us:

Commute: 7
Home: 8
Work: 8

There's also the fourth category, which is much less popular: ;)

Exercising: 2 (Several other people could probably count their commute as exercise, when they're cycling, walking etc.)

Overall, it looks quite similar to the distribution in the pie charts above. :)

#35 Sênstaku

Sênstaku

Kobold

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

I listen during my commute and at work as well; But I'm not going to go back through EVERY show ever, sorry (That would take FOREVER) - I'm caught up on Phandelver, currently listening to Highmarch and Mage, and will go back and listen to campaigns one by one as I finish others - and each time have to re-figure out who I'm listening to because none of you introduce yourselves! :P

#36 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

I have actually switched to listening at work due to audio quality on some of the older stuff I am going through. As long as i don't listen after lunch (when I get a tad sleepy) I am able to follow along well enough. And I have Senstaku's problem as well, trying to figure out who is who. For a while I thought Lyndsay was in Warlords of the Accordlands.

#37 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

To add to the sample population I am also primarily a work and commute listener.

The other key part is business travel which is a blend. I'll listen in hotels preferentially to the TV. Also on a hour and a half plane flight many of the sessions are timed well.

#38 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:13 AM

I listen during my commute and at work as well; But I'm not going to go back through EVERY show ever, sorry (That would take FOREVER)

a1e.png

I'm caught up on Phandelver, currently listening to Highmarch and Mage, and will go back and listen to campaigns one by one as I finish others - and each time have to re-figure out who I'm listening to because none of you introduce yourselves! :P

That is a very good point. Some of the discussion threads featured a list of players and what characters they were playing, but a lot of them were lost in the site renovation, and are currently languishing in the depths of the archive.

However, it would be much better to have the players introduce themselves at the start of the episodes themselves (or at least at the start of a campaign), to make it easier for the listeners to connect faces with voices.

And I have Senstaku's problem as well, trying to figure out who is who. For a while I thought Lyndsay was in Warlords of the Accordlands.

Hmm, maybe we could get the groups to make a short introductory audio snippet, where the players introduce themselves by name? Or just grab some sound bites from the published recordings, paste them together, and then put them somewhere on the site where new listeners can find them? Do you think that would help?

#39 Sênstaku

Sênstaku

Kobold

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

The easiest solution would be to have the groups start each recording with "Hello listeners, welcome back to (Campaign). I'm (GM), and my players are-" "(Player 1) playing (Character)" "(Player 2) playing (Character)" etc. etc.

This also helps get the campaign started, gives the group a jump-off point to get back into the game when they find they're stuck in a side conversation. Or to draw attention away from Nick shoving things up his nose.

It's similar to what I do on my stream; Whenever I open my stream I always assume whoever is watching is watching for the first time, so I introduce myself, my co-host if I have one for the day, and what I'm playing and what happened last time.

#40 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

Point taken :)

I shall try this with the players this evening and see if they can ruin it :D

Hal :hal:

0 user(s) are reading this topic