• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I haven't really read any of the newsbot posts. I've been quieter than usual lately because I've been travelling. However, I'm now settled at a fairly permanent location, so I'll try to get back with it. @Hal, if you still like getting postcards, if I could get your address, I could send you one.

Unless Hal has moved since July, 2012, this should still be valid:

Just as a follow up to this... if anyone has any geeky crap to clutter my desk, walls or office in general I'll incorporate it into my work world with glee.

RPGMP3
<<Address removed as mailbox is closed>>

I expect to deluged with geek posters, lego, gadgets and cuddly yoda. :P

#22 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

Don't post to that address - it was a mailbox but I need to figure something else out as the site isn't generating sufficient funds for me to keep a mailbox open any more :( I closed that mailbox about 6 months ago.

Hal :hal:

#23 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

While that's going on, there's always the option of sending a postcard or a bottle of single malt to @ross, from the BAG. :) (Although rumour has it that he might be moving, so hurry up, while that address is still (possibly) valid.)

#24 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Or instead of sending Ross whiskey, you could donate to the site or become a Patron :)

Then I can afford a site mailbox again :D

#25 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

I do check out the newsbot reasonably regularly and I think it adds to the site but it feels weird when most of the updates are from the bot. That might be a lack of posting by us or too much bot or both.

#26 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

I think we need to concentrate on encouraging people to start new conversations.

For example - I didn't post anything about the DnD 40th birthday over the weekend to see if someone would and no one did :) These are the kinds of things we can post people :)

The more posts that are started the more likely we are to get some that are interesting and draw other people in :)

Start posts - be happy. I am looking at possibilities for incentives for posts and the like but we will see what pans out :)

#27 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I think I am creating some activity up in the patrons area with the play by post game.  Only a few of us in the game, but there are posts!  Hmm, offer a chance to design a villain for the Ootak upcoming Emerald City Mutants and Masterminds game?

#28 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I like the Play by Post game :) Its cool to read :D

I'm all for competitions and forum discussion type stuff :D

#29 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

I like reading play by post games too. Not sure how the designing a villain would go. I'd be willing to give it a shot. My problem with creating supers stuff is that when I try it mainly seems fairly derivative of existing properties. 

#30 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

I am thinking there is little that hasn't been done (at least in print comics) with Supers at this point :)

Are you talking about a new Play By Post? If so we might need to get us a forum area for these things :)

#31 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'd love to participate in a Play-By-Post.

#32 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

I put the Dresden up in patrons rather than just linking to a mythweaver game with rpgmp3 people playing to have something extra there for the patrons.

In terms of a new play by post I have been having some thoughts of a possible Shadowrun 5th ed story.  I have been thinking of suggesting it for Ootak after we eventually finish our Emerald City campaign (which is still in character creation).  I would be open to developing it further and running it for rpgmp3 people if there was a desire for it but have no solid plans for such at the moment.  Dresden is more story focused and the dice range is fairly small anyway so I am fine just trusting people to report their rolls but for something crunchier like Shadowrun I would prefer an out in the open dice roll function.  I know there are ways around not having a dice roller built into a forum such as web pages that can save people's rolls for verification but I think those are less user friendly than an in-forum solution.

re-the supers thing, to quote Southpark "Simpsons did it!"  All you really need is one good hook to make the character unique.  In the Gamer's Haven City of Lost Angels actual play a player who came in partway through the game is playing what is basically a mutant Static Shock clone.  Part of his back story is that the owners of the Static Shock I.P. even sued him to make him change his costume.

#33 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Ah, Static Shock...I really liked that show when it aired a few years back. Might have to try and find a copy for rewatching. That and x-men evolution.

#34 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

I'd love to participate in a Play-By-Post.

I think we should encourage another play-by-post game - especially since it seems to have an audience (of at least two!!!).  Why don't we start one in the many section of the site since the patron one seems to be going well?

#35 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

I am thinking there is little that hasn't been done (at least in print comics) with Supers at this point :)

Just FYI, if there's anyone out there who enjoys reading web fiction and/or stuff about superheroes, you should check out Worm, if you haven't already.

It's a super story (pun intended), with loads of interesting twists - both on the tropes and stereotypes of the superhero genre, and good old-fashioned plot twists. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge