Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Question :)

What do people think of the NewsBot? Do people read the stuff it posts to the forums? I recently cut back on some of the more active feeds it was reporting as I felt it was starting to swamp the forums because you lot are so quiet these days :)

Is he helpful and useful or a pain in ass?

Comments please :D

Hal :hal:

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Browsing through the entries in the Newsbot feed since December 1st, 2013, it looks as though most news stories get 10-30 views (can't be bothered to do actual number-crunching statistics to find the average no. of views, so this is just a very rough estimate, i.e. number that has been pulled out of the monkey's ass). Stories that have received comments gain more attention. There are a couple statistical outliers, like this Happy Holidays from AEG that garnered 312 views, even though nobody commented on it.

Of course, some (all?) of those views may have come from other bots, trawling the net.

I recently cut back on some of the more active feeds it was reporting as I felt it was starting to swamp the forums because you lot are so quiet these days :)

Looks like very few people have comments for any groups other than the RPGMP3 Pros these days, so when there's a lengthy hiatus in releases from Hal & Co., the forum drops deathly silent. :(

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Yeah - not sure what happened - we make a nice new site and no one wants to play on it.

I guess we should have just made one large "Like" button as that seems to be a depth on interaction these days (grumble, grumble)

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

I guess we should have just made one large "Like" button as that seems to be a depth on interaction these days (grumble, grumble)

Oh, don't be silly; a "Like" button isn't the end-all, be-all of modern social media interaction.

...Some sites prefer to use a "+1" button. ;)

#5 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

+1 Like

#6 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Well, the new site did get a few of us lurkers to come out of hiding and post. For me personally I pretty much can't access the site half the week due to being stuck at work and this being one of the sites they block. I do try to make up for it the other half with insanity and inanity in vain attempts at being amusing.

Edit: Oh yes, in case you're wondering, and to keep it on topic, I tend to ignore the Newsbot stuff.

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think we have two topics here :)

@Aethyr have you tried to access the site from your phone? Works pretty well :)

#8 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

It would work if I had a smart phone, but I only have an iPod Touch and they blocked it on the wifi too.

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Wow! Are you some kind of spy or bio weapons engineer?

#10 Aethyr

Aethyr

Frog

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

*shifty-eyes* Why yes, yes I am. It's definitely not because my company is weird and has a dim view of their employees or that they somehow think industrial espionage is rampant in the computer memory market. Nope, definitely a spy.

#11 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Ha ha :)

Thankfully I work in education so I am all kinds of good :) (except for on the salary front)

#12 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

I haven't really read any of the newsbot posts. I've been quieter than usual lately because I've been travelling. However, I'm now settled at a fairly permanent location, so I'll try to get back with it. @Hal, if you still like getting postcards, if I could get your address, I could send you one.

#13 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

Generally I check the new posts each morning, as well as dropping by occasionally throughout the day, and have a look at the Newsbot offerings. The L5R ones annoy me, but that's only because their cryptic titles inevitably make me think that the post is going to be about a different game :D

Probably tricky to strike a balance between levels of activity from different feeds, and of course a fair few companies don't update their news in an accessible way for the 'bots, but on the whole I think it's a good addition. Unfortunately, forums everywhere seem to be dwindling these days :( Or, to add a more genre-appropriate description, diminishing and going into the West.

#14 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

I like having a look at the news bot posts as it can bring some stuff to my attention that I might have missed otherwise. I have posted on them occasionally when there has been one of particular interest. I'm enjoying looking on the forum and seeing the posts even if I do tend to be a bit of a lurker.

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Id second what BJB said: seems everywhere forum activity is on the decline. Why go on the forums when everything is on Google+ or Feshberk.

As for the NewsBot, I kinda like it. Its nice to see the occasional interesting event or release. Sure most of them I ignore, but the ones worth reading I look into. :)

#16 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

I personally prefer the interaction on forums and I like the way that you can look at old points as well. It is an awful lot easier to find them on a decent forum than on Facebook and I just haven't really got into G+. I definitely enjoy the interactions. I'm finding it a bit harder to pay attention to the forums as I am spending more time at work and walking to and from work. On the plus point the walk gives me time to listen to the wonderful audio.

#17 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

I take a look at the newest headlines to see what might be going on that interests me, but I dont think there is really a push to have a discussion about the news posts in most cases.  I like having them but dont have real strong feelings about the news feed.

#18 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

Sounds like folks are looking at the bot news :) That's a good thing :)

Are there any companies you would like to see in the feed, or any you would like to see removed?

#19 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

Some of the OSR companies, such as Frog God Games could be nice. :)

#20 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

Its a careful balance - some folks are very prolific and others are not - also some companies don't have a feed I can hook into... I did turn off some of the stuff because I thought it was swamping the other threads...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge