File Name: Operation Red Dupe Session 01<p>
File Submitter: Daniel</p >
File Submitted: 05 Dec 2013
File Category: Battletech: A Time of War
Genre: Sci-Fi
Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

http://www.rpgmp3.co...Red_Dupe_01.mp3

BT101_zpsd4402ba1.jpg
Teaser episode for the upcoming BattleTech campaign performed by the Pants Campers.

The year is 3025 and this is The Inner Sphere.

Lying at the bottom of the glass, three MechWarriors find themselves hired by a mysterious noble from the Draconis Combine. Their objective: murder, terrorism and subjugation. Fighting from the cockpit of giant BattleMechs and with their lives on the line, how low will these three fall and when will they draw the line?

STARRING
Alexander as, the disgraced medical prodigy, Dr. Gilbert Herschel
Daniel as, The Storyteller
Regan
as, Sir Not Appearing in this Episode, Kurt Plissken
Tess as, the washed up super star, Maren Castro AKA Ray Storm

Click here to download this file

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

med_gallery_10823_7_678517.jpg

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

The Red Duke grew a beard like William Riker? Wow, he must be awesome. :)

Also, if you ever find yourself in need of correct pogonological terminology:

beard-mustache-facial-hair-types.jpg

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

Re: Blaxploitation videos that include the phrase "You'd wake up dead!" - not sure which movie you're thinking of, but the Nightmare on Elm Street flicks made much use of that tagline.

(That's flick as in "movie", by the way, not Flick as in Herr Flick - that's Alex' character.) ;)

#5 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

And have a look at http://www.dyers.org...ds/beard-types/

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

I've been looking forward to listening to this game for months now :)  I've downloaded it but just have to find the time...

#7 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Downloaded this just after I raided Drivethru RPG for their Battletech sale. Fortuitous timing. Really enjoyed listening to this. I've enjoyed the Battletech universe ever since I came across Main Event by James Long. 

#8 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

If you ever get the crazy Swede lured to England, you should get together for an IRL game of Mechaton. It's a miniatures battle game, using LEGO mecha. :)

3203195710_5c5e310bf9_m.jpg7850950438_e504e528b5_m.jpg10445946315_c52df6c43d_m.jpg

It's made by the same Lumpley Games that gave us such classics as Dogs in the Vineyard, Kill Puppies for Satan, and Poison'd (a pirate game with plenty of grimdark and butt rape - basically a swashbuckling version of Tropis).

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Thats pretty cool, Monkey :)

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

med_gallery_10823_7_678517.jpg

xf3me.jpg

#11 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

If you ever get the crazy Swede lured to England, you should get together for an IRL game of Mechaton. It's a miniatures battle game, using LEGO mecha. :)

3203195710_5c5e310bf9_m.jpg7850950438_e504e528b5_m.jpg10445946315_c52df6c43d_m.jpg

It's made by the same Lumpley Games that gave us such classics as Dogs in the Vineyard, Kill Puppies for Satan, and Poison'd (a pirate game with plenty of grimdark and butt rape - basically a swashbuckling version of Tropis).

I have been meaning to get Mecaton and break out the Lego bitsbox for a while...

The Aegis Project is another mecha/powered armour game that looks pretty good too - it's by John Wick of L5R and Houses of the Blooded fame.  I bought it a while ago but have not given it a go yet.  Apparently he designed after a fan requested it on Facebook.

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

I have been meaning to get Mecaton and break out the Lego bitsbox for a while...

For what it's worth: according to the author of the game, the name shouldn't be pronounced "Mega-ton" but "Mech-ton", like Charleston is "Charl's-ton".

There was also an interesting debate on Lumpley.com when the game was designed, where someone was making a comment about the Pitman project, and misspelled it "Ptiman". The misspelling was quickly adopted into the game setting proper, and some cock-and-bull story was invented about an alien language where the word "Ptimanaya" meant "Man Mountain", to rationalize it. Again, the 'P' in "Ptiman" is silent, like in "Ptolemy" and "Ptraci". :P

The Aegis Projectis another mecha/powered armour game that looks pretty good too - it's by John Wick of L5R and Houses of the Blooded fame. I bought it a while ago but have not given it a go yet. Apparently he designed after a fan requested it on Facebook.

Sadly, Danny is not much of Bollywood fan - or an anime mecha fan - or we might have gotten to witness the splendor of giant dancing robots in a Bollywood movie, courtesy of the Vimanakatha setting for Apotheosis Drive X, or Mekayana. :(

#13 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

For what it's worth: according to the author of the game, the name shouldn't be pronounced "Mega-ton" but "Mech-ton", like Charleston is "Charl's-ton".

There was also an interesting debate on Lumpley.com when the game was designed, where someone was making a comment about the Pitman project, and misspelled it "Ptiman". The misspelling was quickly adopted into the game setting proper, and some cock-and-bull story was invented about an alien language where the word "Ptimanaya" meant "Man Mountain", to rationalize it. Again, the 'P' in "Ptiman" is silent, like in "Ptolemy" and "Ptraci". :P

Sadly, Danny is not much of Bollywood fan - or an anime mecha fan - or we might have gotten to witness the splendor of giant dancing robots in a Bollywood movie, courtesy of the Vimanakatha setting for Apotheosis Drive X, or Mekayana. :(

Mekayana or

"Hot mecha action.  Cool Bollywood dance numbers!"

if the promo is to be believed!

Perhaps a Danny could be persuaded to include a Bollywood love-triangle and an overbearing comedy aunt if the setting had a darker spin?

CthulhuTech /Mekayana crossover anyone?

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

Perhaps a Danny could be persuaded to include a Bollywood love-triangle and an overbearing comedy aunt if the setting had a darker spin?

CthulhuTech /Mekayana crossover anyone?

Apparently, if you say "Cthulhu" to a Hindu, he might think you're talking about a stove or a chimney; perfect for next year's Christmas Special! :)

Cthulhu+the+Destroyer.jpg

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hi there, folks, its been a while since anything has been uploaded for this recording so I figured an explanation is in order.

The original plan for this series was for it to form a buffer between seasons of what has internally become known as The Knights Trilogy.  As is pretty obvious by this point that hasn't happened.  We ended up running this for a single session to see how it played and then went back to Knights (we had a week where only Tess & Alex were available and we were all pretty rigged to get a game in).

My aim is to return to this series once Knights has been concluded however I have a bit of a confession to make: I know an awful lot about the world of BattleTech & MechWarrior, but I really don't know what the hell I am doing with the MechWarrior roleplaying game, mechanically speaking.

What I do know is Savage Worlds.  I have access to a pretty well written fan-made savage worlds conversion for MechWarrior & BattleTech that I am interested in giving a go as an option to continue this series.  What do people think?  Is the main appeal of this series the mechanics or the roleplay?

#16 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

I think for me the main interest is the roleplay. I am interested in seeing how systems work but if you are happier with a conversion of Savage Worlds then go for it. To be fair I think I'd be intrigued with seeing how that worked anyway. 

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

Your listeners will probably be more interested in a Savage Battletech campaign that the you and your players enjoy, and where the game runs smoothly, rather than a Vanilla Battletech campaign that is expected to get bogged down in rules-bickering and page-flipping (or pdf-browsing).

Of course, you could consider trying a one-off session of classic Battletech, to serve as a comparison to Savage Battletech. Then you could have a post-game fireside chat where the group discusses the pros and cons of the two approaches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge