• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#121 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:05 AM

On the bright side, Alex has agreed to let me run some OSR sessions between now and starting recording Rose Dragon. I'm going to look through my modules tonight to pick a couple out. There is also a small chance we may be joined by *his* younger brothr too, after the success of bringing Regan into the fold.

Which campaign setting are you planning on using for it? Pantsmoor? Mystapants? Wilderlands of Pants Campari? :)

#122 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Im probably going to run in the 'Kingdom of Generica'. Tropis has enough fantasy world facts for one man's brain to handle.

#123 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Im probably going to run in the 'Kingdom of Generica'.

Fixed. ;)

#124 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

It does occur to me, however, that I could totally name our OSR series: '10 by 10 Room the RPG',  Would go well with 'Peasants & Shit Mongers the RPG' aka Tropis :P

#125 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Currently spending some time in Scotland looking over old modules and deciding what to run first. Currently I am thinking of a small introductory module, followed by The Lost City and maybe Horror on the Hill (although Im not as keen on that module).

#126 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

There's plenty of free OSR D&D modules and scenarios available, in case you wish to browse some more. Here's another good link, and (contrary to what you might expect) is even totally SFW. ;)

If you're using Holmes' D&D, you might be interested in this link; someone got hold of what is allegedly a copy of Holmes' original manuscript for the D&D rulebook, and compared it to the published product.

34oeau1.jpg

#127 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

So my holiday is going quite nicely. So far I have played zombicide Twice, a Touch of Evil three times and d&d 1st ed three times.

Highlights include...

4 out of 6 members of a party triggering a pit trap and falling to their death. The 5th member had the good sense not to enter the room and the 6th was the one who set off the trap but managed to still survive.

Jumping heroically into a raging stream, only to discover it was actually really shallow, the bottom was just painted blue to make it appear deeper. Oh and there were piranha in the stream too...'cause first ed.

Players avoiding a sphere of oblivion trap by poking it with a ten foot pole and then throwijg in a swamp frog.

Players deciding to name an enemy type The Dildo Dwarves.

#128 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

So my holiday is going quite nicely. So far I have played zombicide Twice, a Touch of Evil three times and d&d 1st ed three times.

Any recorded sessions? :)

Players avoiding a sphere of oblivion trap by poking it with a ten foot pole and then throwijg in a swamp frog.

Have you listened to the Clan of Ham playing through the Tomb of Horrors? They had lots of fun, disarming traps by throwing summoned animals into the pit/Sphere of Annihilation/whatever.

the_clan_of_ham_vs_traps__r__us_by_mokku

Players deciding to name an enemy type The Dildo Dwarves.

Another AP podcasting site has a running joke that involves Pedophile Kobolds. :) There's no reason to feel remorse or guilt when you're killing Pedophile Kobolds.

#129 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

I am very very very tempted to run the guys through Return to The Tomb of Horrors as a joke. :D

Unfortunately no recorded sessions as I'm in Scotland currently.

#130 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

I am very very very tempted to run the guys through Return to The Tomb of Horrors as a joke. :D

A bit of slap-stick, you mean?

grazztshow.jpg
wogstrip281a01.jpg
wogstrip281a02.jpg
wogstrip281a03-238x300.jpg
wogstrip281a03-238x300.jpg
wogstrip281a04.jpg
wogstrip281a05-238x300.jpg
wogstrip281a06.jpg
wogstrip281a07-235x300.jpg

#131 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

wogstrip281a08.jpg
wogstrip281a09-238x300.jpg
wogstrip281a10-237x300.jpg
wogstrip281a11.jpg
wogstrip281a12.jpg
wogstrip281a13-236x300.jpg
wogstrip281a14-233x300.jpg
wogstrip281a15.jpg
wogstrip281a16-190x300.jpg
wogstrip281a17-203x300.jpg

#132 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

I have decided to run the team through the 55 levels of...

...Rappan Athuk the World's Deadliest Dungeon...

Many hundreds of years ago, the forces of good allied to destroy
the main Temple of Orcus in the ancient city of Tsar. With their
temple in ruins, the surviving high priests of this accursed demon-
god fled the city with an army of enemies on their trail—an army
of heroic fighters, clerics and paladins—led by Zelkor, a powerful
wizard. The exact fate of these evil priests was then unknown, for
not only did the remnants of the followers of Orcus disappear from
all human reckoning, but so did the army of light that followed after
them disappear as well. Some said that in the eternal scales the loss
of so many good men was a fair price to pay to rid the world of so
much evil.

The evil cult, however, had not been destroyed. The surviving
priests and their followers instead settled on a hill near the Forest
of Hope, a sylvan woodland near the Coast Road. There they found
a vast underground complex of caverns and mazes, carving out a
volcanic intrusion beneath the hill. There, the priests of Orcus found
the perfect lair to continue their vile rituals. For many years, they
carried on in secret, hidden from the light and from the knowledge
of men.

Many years later, their underground delving completed, the evil
priests erected a hideous mausoleum and a sunken graveyard atop
the hill. It is believed that these graves are in fact the final resting
place of the pursuing army of heroes that had been destroyed to a
man. Soon after the mausoleum was erected the peaceful creatures
of the wood began to disappear. Though many rangers and
druids investigated these happenings, the cause of the creatures’
disappearance was not immediately determined. Some years later a
powerful group of adventurers, led by Bofred, a high priest of Thyr,
investigated the evil happenings and found the sunken graveyard
leading to a labyrinthine complex. Bofred and his companions
found great hordes of evil creatures in the complex. Though some
of his companions returned from their expedition, telling tales of
fantastic treasure and ferocious monsters, Bofred was never seen
again—lost in the catacombs beneath the cursed mausoleum.

For the last one hundred years, ranks of adventurers have ventured
to the newfound dungeon. Many fell prey to bandits and monsters
in the surrounding wilderness. Rumors suggest that of those who
survived to reach the mausoleum and sunken graveyard, most were
slain by guardians of green stone or perished on the very first level.
Those rare few who return from deeper treks speak of horrible
undead and creatures that cannot be slain. All who have explored
Rappan Athuk offer this one universal piece of advice: “Don’t go
down the Well.”

#133 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

A copy-pasta of a recent internal State of The Union post by your's truly...
Ladies and gentlemen I am here to proudly announce our next project and my plans for the coming months. There will be something for everybody and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

First up, the question on everybody's lips: is [Redacted] still alive? I know, [the character's player] knows, you'll have to find out, Ha! However, what is happening on the Tropis front? We will be taking a short-ish break to allow me time to complete Rose Dragon. This will be the dramatic conclusion of what has become known as the Knight Trilogy. After that we will be taking a rather long break from Tropis. We've been Tropising for nearly half a decade now and I really feel like I want to explore somewhere new. Alex and I have spoken about this a few times iirc and I got the impression he agreed (to a point). Now this doesn't mean we're hanging up our Tropis coats forever, so don't worry. More on that later.

BattleTech. I am thinking of making this our next 'super serious' game. So after Rose Dragon we will be turning to BT for all our angsty needs. I dont think much more needs to be said on that. After we've played BT for a bit we'll turn back to Tropis and take a trip to Vattarn.

Too much serious gaming is a blight however, one we've been afflicted by as a group for too long. I intend to take steps to reduce this, to allow us to let our hair down and to recharge between the super cereal games of BT and Tropis. To that end I would like to take us through some old school gaming (1st Edition d&d). It is silly fun and not something to be taken too seriously. You will lose characters, find treasure, experience tropes and save the world. All under the orders of Duke Hero, lord of the Dukedom of Generica.

After we've had a few OSR modules under our belts I will be taking us through our ultimate challenge. Rappan Athuk: the world's deadliest dungeon! 55 levels of insanity, plus wilderness environments! A player's guide will be uploaded to dropbox soon ™. Make sure to read it, if you wish to survive long enough to even *reach* the dungeon (no, seriously).

My plan is to play a section of RAWDD then play a season of Super Cereal, then a section of RAWDD then Super Cereal. Alternating this way to keep things fresh and to avoid burning me or you guys out.

Dark things are on the horizon, friends, just remember: don't go down the well.

#134 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

You have a Pants newsletter? :O At least you can easily prepare a weather forecast for Tropis.

forecast%2B5.22.2011.jpg

By the way, have you asked Alex when he's appearing on the new David Hasselhoff talkshow? They don't really have any other celebrities in Sweden, so he'll probably have to show up, and that might interfere with your gaming schedule. ;)

#135 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

So Im reading through the world's deadliest dungeon and i have to say: this thing is going to live up to it's name! Characters can be squashed, crushed, melted, eaten, polymorphed and then eaten, stabbed, electrocuted and even suffer heart attacks...

...and all of this is before they even reach one of thr dungeon's 17 enterances!

#136 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

#137 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

So I've started making makings proper plans for our OSR campaign.

First party comp. Due to our small party size I will be re-introducing a fan (and player) favourite. The barbaric brothers known only as GREEEAAAAT ULRIC!!!! and Lesser Fulric. These will be taking the role of Fighter for the party. This will allow the group to choose from the more interesting classes. In the event where nobody wants to play one of the 'essential' classes (such as Wizard) the brothers will take over that role instead. Great Ulric the Wizard anybody? :P

Campaign-wise we will be starting off with two lesser modules by Frog God Games (Grimmsgate and 1971, respectively) and two of Goblinoid Games modules (the introduction module and Maidens of Moorath). Finally, the party will be challenged by the Tomb of The Four Brothers. A right meat grinder, that one.

This will give the party a good mix of traps, puzzles and riddles that will (in hope) better prepare them for The Well™.

Finally a word on system. Originally I was planning to ru using Goblinoid Games' Labyrinth Lord. However it would have been too much of an arse ache to constantly convert so I have decided to go with Swords and Sorcery instead.

Labyrinth Lord is a carbon copy of 1st Edition Basic and Expert sets of Dungeons and Dragons. Whereas Swords and Sorcery closer represents 0E dungeons and dragons shortly before the arrival lf 1st edition advanced dungeons and dragons. What we'll probably end up playing is a mutated combination of the two that will be a close representation of the sorts of d&d games I first learned to play with (all the way back in 1997).

#138 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

First party comp. Due to our small party size I will be re-introducing a fan (and player) favourite. The barbaric brothers known only as GREEEAAAAT ULRIC!!!! and Lesser Fulric. These will be taking the role of Fighter for the party. This will allow the group to choose from the more interesting classes. In the event where nobody wants to play one of the 'essential' classes (such as Wizard) the brothers will take over that role instead. Great Ulric the Wizard anybody? :P

Weren't there three of them? Ulric, Fulric and Dulric? *Shuffles off to re-listen to some old Saturnine Snows episodes etc.*

Besides, it's standard practice in OSR to bring an entire army of henchpeople and hirelings along for the dungeon crawl, as ablative hit points and additional attack rolls. You're dead meat if you don't. :)

Finally, the party will be challenged by the Tomb of The Four Brothers. A right meat grinder, that one.

You mean the Crypt of the Four Brothers? 'Cause if you type "Tomb of the Four Brothers" in a search engine, you'll get a bunch of links to pictures of the Three Brothers' Tomb in Palmyra, Syria (for some reason).

79214889.PuVRonSz.SyriaMay07715.jpg

Hmm, looks like the Crypt of the Four Brothers got some harsh reviews:

Crypt of the Four Brothers – Jeff Shepherd – Winner: Best Riddles
Tired riddle trope combined with tired layout trope combined with tired themed area trope. I guess the challenge is in how much the players suffer before figuring things out and skipping the rest?

Although it was a nice touch that the author didn't include wandering monsters, and if you insisted on using them, they should be "previously unsuccessful adventurers as ghosts, zombies or other undead." :)

[...] two of Goblinoid Games modules (the introduction module and Maidens of Moorath).

Err... Maidens of Moordoth, right? (Are all these misspellings a cunning ploy on your part, intended to keep the players from googling too much info about the scenarios?) ;)

96072.png

#139 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Im still in scotland atm. So all typing is being done on my mobile. To make matters worse I dont actually have the modules in hand so im forced to remember their names and pu lisher's by title

#140 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

So my plans for 0e d&d are coming along extremely nicely. I have the first module prepped and ready so I'm now looking into what other 'services' our recordings can provide to our listeners. Here is a list of the things I'm considering at the moment. As always, feedback and suggestions are welcome.

o) Reviews - I am using a lot of different resources in capturing the heart of what d&d was like when I first started playing. Certainly I can record a review of those resources and release them alongside our normal episodes. Perhaps creating a new 'reviews' section of our little area of rpgmp3.

o) Resources - I always end up creating a lot of resources for my games. Most of which either leech from other sources I own and therefore cannot be legally released. However, the stuff I create for OSR could easily be released. Including notes and additions I make to the modules I run. These companions would allow listeners to run the same modules we run using the very notes I run from (obviously edited enough to be usable by somebody other than me).

o) Nostalgic Moments - no doubt as we explore the origins of d&d we shall spark off some of my own memories of gaming during my childhood that I see no harm in sharing with you lot.

o) OSR reviews - its been a few years since I last did reviews for greywardens.com and it seems a viable option to try and pin down some of the leaders of the now well established OSR. Talk to them about their history with the game and what prompted them to support the OSR.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tropis, mechwarrior, battletech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge