23 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hello and Good Morrow, my fellow RP-ers.

Here's a thought: If your character had a song, what would it be? Be it from Pop, Metal, Country, which ever. Which singer has your character's voice, or is close enough to it?

I ask these things in attempt in finding Kasnas' theme.  Now..I know her stories, along with her comrades, haven't all been released yet.  If anything we're still in the very beginnings.

For those who don't know:

Kasnas Orechop is a ruff-n-tuff dwarven rogue, who often stole to survive in the city of Korvosa. 

As you can probably imagine, it's a tough town to survive in, much less thrive.  If she's not stealing money from pilfered purses, it's stealing foods and drink from the market or taverns.  She's a regular Aladdin if anything, only she's a tad bit more mean about it I think...or apathetic. Whichever.

Tell me your theme songs, and maybe throw a suggestion my way?

#2 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

I think Brainbot would want some sort of j-pop remix of Darth Vader's Imperial march.

#3 Kolobos

Kolobos

RPGMP3 Patron

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

So far:

Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Green Day

Blood, In This Moment

You're Going Down, Sick Puppies

These songs essentially bring about the emotion tied to the characters... More of a frame of mental reference, really. But these are three choices I've used to help define character(s).

#4 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hi @Heather,

I tend not to think musically for characters, but it is an interesting idea.

But from what I've heard so far of Kasnas... have you heard of Pat Benatar?

#5 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hi @Heather,

I know Borderlands already used it but your character desription really made me think of Ain't No Rest For the Wicked by Cage the Elephant.

None of you know my characters but currently I'm playing in what we're calling an anime campaign. It's ostensibly set in the Tien region of the Pathfinder world of Golarian but I'm not sure how strictly the DM is planning to stick to the core fluff and everything is being tweaked to be the kind of outrageous action and adventure you get in popular anime. We're not shying away at all from tropes and clichees. I'm playing a half-yokai (oni-blood tiefling) demon-hunter (Yamabushi Paladin variant and Sin Eater Inquisitor variant) named Yamashita Tomohiso who wields an enormous tetsubo and if I had to pick a song it would be this.

#6 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hi @Heather,

I tend not to think musically for characters, but it is an interesting idea.

But from what I've heard so far of Kasnas... have you heard of Pat Benatar?

I haven't, @ScaleGraze.  But I'll definitely give them a try. :)

#7 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hi @Heather,

I know Borderlands already used it but your character desription really made me think of Ain't No Rest For the Wicked by Cage the Elephant.

I'm playing a half-yokai (oni-blood tiefling) demon-hunter (Yamabushi Paladin variant and Sin Eater Inquisitor variant) named Yamashita Tomohiso who wields an enormous tetsubo and if I had to pick a song it would be this.

This is the most kick-ass acoustic song I've heard in ages! This is really cool.

Ain't No Rest for the Wicked hadn't crossed my mind lately, but it does ring something.  Thanks, @Telemergion

#8 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

So far:

Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Green Day

Blood, In This Moment

You're Going Down, Sick Puppies

These songs essentially bring about the emotion tied to the characters... More of a frame of mental reference, really. But these are three choices I've used to help define character(s).

All very fine choices.  I recognize 2/3 at least.  I'll give "Blood" a shot. Thanks, @Kolobos

#9 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

I don't have theme songs for any of my characters (Get Nervous), but wow is that a great idea!

I usually do start with one thing that in the heat of the moment (In The Heat Of The Night) inspires the development of a character (Temporary Heroes) and I will definitely be using this approach in the future. I'll have to start taking note of interesting songs now (Little Too Late) in preparation for the next OOTAK campaign (Precious Time) when I might need a unique take on a shady rogue (Shadows of the Night), conquering warrior (Love Is A Battlefield), armored tank (Invincible), manipulative temptress (Lipstick Lies, Sex As A Weapon), a precocious child (Somebody's Baby), the mysterious stranger-type (Looking For A Stranger) or every one of them and more (Have It All). I might even use it to inspire interesting NPCs when I'm a GM (Payin' the Cost to Be the Boss). Really, I can't wait (All Fired Up).

PS - What a sad world (A Crazy World Like This) we live in where people haven't hear of Pat Benatar. If you don't know by now who sang the second song ever played on MTV, then You Better Run.

#10 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hello all,

I think Tanz would have a few theme songs that would fit his personality or feelings.

Metallica's - One (cause no one really understand my true fate that all I could do is suffer and never die)

Nickelback - You can count on me ( cause I was always there no matter what to take there pain away)

But his true theme song would be:

Evanescence – Give Unto Me

I've been watching you from a distance
The distance sees through your disguise
All I want from you is your hurting
I want to heal you
I want to save you from the dark

Give unto me your troubles
I'll endure your suffering
Place onto me your burden
I'll drink your deadly poison

Why should I care if they hurt you
Somehow it matters more to me
Than if I were hurting myself
Save you (save you)
I'll save you

Fear not the flame of my love's candle
Let it be the sun in your world of darkness
Give unto me all that frightens you
I'll have your nightmares for you
If you sleep soundly

Give unto me all that frightens you
I'll have your nightmares for you
If you sleep soundly

#11 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hello and Good Morrow, my fellow RP-ers.

Here's a thought: If your character had a song, what would it be? Be it from Pop, Metal, Country, which ever. Which singer has your character's voice, or is close enough to it?

I ask these things in attempt in finding Kasnas' theme.  Now..I know her stories, along with her comrades, haven't all been released yet.  If anything we're still in the very beginnings.

For those who don't know:

Kasnas Orechop is a ruff-n-tuff dwarven rogue, who often stole to survive in the city of Korvosa. 

As you can probably imagine, it's a tough town to survive in, much less thrive.  If she's not stealing money from pilfered purses, it's stealing foods and drink from the market or taverns.  She's a regular Aladdin if anything, only she's a tad bit more mean about it I think...or apathetic. Whichever.

Tell me your theme songs, and maybe throw a suggestion my way?

Pain” by Three Days Grace

#12 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

But his true theme song would be:

Evanescence – Give Unto Me

@Akira1121, yeah, that's pretty much it.

#13 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

. If you don't know by now who sang the second song ever played on MTV, then You Better Run.

But I don't listen to MTV, @Twyst.

#14 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hey! I think I narrowed it down to three songs!

Trouble- by P!nk:

When I have Kasnas in mind, her voice is a bit like Pink's.  So any of her songs, Kas comes to mind automatically.

Hit me with your best shot- by Pat Benatar:

Pat's song is more of her attitude when facing her casual world; drinking, horsing around, etc.

and

Titanium- by Sia:

Sia's song strikes me as Kasnas' inner struggles and determination.  Granted, she's not that strong yet (considering she has a lot of leveling up to do) it's her pride that's titanium. 

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hate it when you see me cry by Halestorm is an outstanding tune, very well suited for any kind of superheroine character, or a PC that balances defiant strength with flaws and weaknesses that could potentially become their Achilles heel.
(If there's any Avatar: Legend of Korra fans out there, you might enjoy this AMV featuring the song in question.)

Don't Know How To Stop is another great Halestorm song. It could be a theme song for a character that was devised as a speed addict - classically by superpowers, like, err... huh, can't think of any superheroines with speedster powers - apart from Daphne Millbrook in Heroes. Or how about a D&D/Pathfinder character with levels as a fighter/sorceress, who focuses on Haste spells and suchlike. Or, of course, a Shadowrun rigger who spends a lot of her character points on sports cars that she can steer with her direct neural interface for a total speed-induced adrenaline rush.

#16 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

I don't have theme songs for any of my characters (Get Nervous), but wow is that a great idea!

I usually do start with one thing that in the heat of the moment (In The Heat Of The Night) inspires the development of a character (Temporary Heroes) and I will definitely be using this approach in the future. I'll have to start taking note of interesting songs now (Little Too Late) in preparation for the next OOTAK campaign (Precious Time) when I might need a unique take on a shady rogue (Shadows of the Night), conquering warrior (Love Is A Battlefield), armored tank (Invincible), manipulative temptress (Lipstick Lies, Sex As A Weapon), a precocious child (Somebody's Baby), the mysterious stranger-type (Looking For A Stranger) or every one of them and more (Have It All). I might even use it to inspire interesting NPCs when I'm a GM (Payin' the Cost to Be the Boss). Really, I can't wait (All Fired Up).

Hmm... It's like there's some kind of hidden message in this text, a heavily concealed subtext. Perhaps the scholars of the distant future will be able to decipher what @Twyst is trying to tell us. ;)

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Grow Up by Paramore is an excellent song with a touch of exoticism and some great rhythms. It could be used for pretty much any character who's trying to discover their own independence, find their place in the world, make a name for themselves, etc.

It would be fun to play a character that had been turned undead, but was (partially) in denial about their current state of being. Find the Time to Breathe by Hell or Highwater could serve as inspiration for that kind of character.

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hey @Heather, don't you think that Katie Tiedrich's Skyrim character is kinda reminiscent of Kasnas?

(And Qurrs.)

comic274.png

#19 Heather

Heather

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hey @Heather, don't you think that Katie Tiedrich's Skyrim character is kinda reminiscent of Kasnas?
(And Qurrs.)comic274.png

Omg Yes! XD

#20 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Omg Yes! XD

Furthermore, dwarves and horses usually don't see eye to eye (literally).

So Kasnas will need to watch her back around those shifty-looking hay-munchers.

comic233.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: discussion, random thoughts, music, theme song, character development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge