• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

Oh dear! Not exactly glowing reviews... The old books are available as PDF though, aren't they? If so, all is well. :)

#22 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'm also thinking on starting a Rolemaster classic (2nd edition rebut) game. The EXP spreadsheet would be a great help. 

#23 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

Let me dig around on my desktop at home tonight and see if I can find it :)

It is far from elegant but it worked for the game I ran :)

Hal :hal:

#24 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

After
reading through the RMC Arms law and retesting to the Rolemastering texans (for the fourth time because I like the market episodes that much) I'm wondering:
Hal, how did you deal with the action turn percentage thing? Or did you just scraped it along with the initiative.

#25 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

Percentage actions are far too complicated to track. I just try to use common sense and judgement. It is generally pretty obvious what can be accomplished in a single round.

We do have initiative but I don't tend to use declared actions and played in reverse though it is a decent idea as it takes too long...

#26 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

Percentage actions are far too complicated to track. I just try to use common sense and judgement. It is generally pretty obvious what can be accomplished in a single round.

Of course, that depends on what system you're using. ;)

We do have initiative but I don't tend to use declared actions and played in reverse though it is a decent idea as it takes too long...

Some dudes have even used Actual Play podcasts to measure the average length of real life combat rounds, i.e. how long it takes for the players and GM to take their actions. There's math and graphs and everything, terribly geeky. :)

MERRY_CHRISTMAS_by_Emotikonz.gif

#27 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

GURPS can be pretty stupid for round length depending on what stuff is going on :)

Not sure that study is very scientific :) If he had listened to a bunch of our audio with different gaming groups it might be a little more reliable :) No one ever does anything cool with out stuff and we have so much of it :(

We are just not famous enough - sigh...

#28 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

I can see some problems with studies like that.  I would assume that groups allow the length of combat round they will tolerate - otherwise they would stop playing.  From my understanding most potentially clunky systems are adaptable and you can pull bits off them if they get in the way - like hit locations or action turn percentage things.

Pretty much all groups (at least the ones on this site) get distracted by things, cakes, pets, double entendre ... and so combats that could be quick go on for the whole session - e.g. the group gets jumped by a pack of wolves and spend the next hour beating them up.

Don't worry Hal - one day you'll get your break - Vin Diesel will join the site or something - and then all you need to do is lie back and wait for the Internet Dollars to roll in!

#29 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

Also I'm wondering where did Lindsy get a Druid Staff True?

I've found it in a companion but Its of the realm of Chaneling, and she was an Essence user. So, where did that background option came from?

#30 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:19 AM

Also I'm wondering where did Lindsy get a Druid Staff True?

I've found it in a companion but Its of the realm of Chaneling, and she was an Essence user. So, where did that background option came from?

One of the background options in (I think) RMC 2 gives one spell list to 50 and she (or Hal) picked that one. I don't recall off hand if the book says whether or not it can be of a different type of magic or if Hal just house ruled it.

#31 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

The Background is, you know any one spells list to 50. Does not make any distinction as to realm and Druid Staff is quite quite amazing.

I like using the Backgrounds, they add variability to the characters and fit my sense of super high fantasy :)

#32 The_Emerald_Flame

The_Emerald_Flame

Stirge

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Suprisingly, I found a copy of Rolemaster Companions II and III in a local second-hand store for $10 each. Of course I bought them, and consider myself lucky. :D

#33 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Nice one - I never find good things in second hand stores... I look forward to the day when I come up on a whole gaming collection for sale in the yard sale for $10...

#34 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Nice one - I never find good things in second hand stores... I look forward to the day when I come up on a whole gaming collection for sale in the yard sale for $10...

Until I reach the age when cardigans are cool, gaming treasure troves are my main motivation for going into second hand stores.  I once found an old  battered copy of TnT (like unto the faximile below) but then lost it at some point in my mid-teens... dark days :(

tunnels_and_trolls2_6431.png

#35 The_Emerald_Flame

The_Emerald_Flame

Stirge

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Looking through these books makes me really miss Hal's Rolemaster game. Sigh

#36 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I created an excel worksheet for character creation acording to Rolemaster Classic (the redo of RM2e). Will someone be interested in it? its a bit rough but it works.

I'm currently in the process of putting all the RMCII secondry skill costs in there, and all the RMC C&T races. 

#37 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Oooohhhhh - skills spreadsheets :)

#38 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

I'm also using the Character records sheets to try and add all the level bonuses to ALL of the classes in ALL of the skills. I came up with around 218 skills in rolemaster out of those sheets and around 76 classes. So it would be a while until I'll feed them all in.

All of the core rulebook races, classes and skills are already fed in so they work at least

https://www.dropbox....n4gh/RMCCR.xlsx

#39 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Hal,

Do you remember the layout of the XP spreadsheet, meaning how did you input data into it. I'm trying to create one myself and have a hard time thinking of how to get data from multiple hits (Ex: David douse 35E to target G,  20L to target T and a 2A to target C.) 

#40 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

I'll see if I can dig it out when I get home...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge