42 replies to this topic

#1 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hello everyone it's me Tanz your long lost lay healer. I went back and listened to the rolemaster recordings The Long Tall Texans did and found myself enjoying listening to it again. It was a such a great group to play with. No matter how cruel we were to each other we took it with a grain of salt and laughed our asses off in the process. 

I got such the urge to play it again but no one around here knows the rules. So I decided to run it myself. I believe we ran the Rolemaster FRP which is what I decided to follow up with unless someone has another suggestion. I have been going through the rules and character creation and pretty much got that down. Plus I have a nice character gen sheet in xls spreedsheet which does most of my calculations for me. I am still trying to figure out how to set up one for the experience since I am having a hard time figuring that out. The campaign itself I am still thinking of ideas so if anyone wants to put there 2 cents in I would be more then appreciate it. Hal has always been one of the best GM's I have ever played with and kinda is the one that got to gm'ing  more. For that I thank you Hal. 

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Oooooh :) A new RM GM eh? :)

The version I use is a heavily homebrewed version of 2nd Edition (the one in the red box set).

It is actually one of my favorite games to GM as t has so much structure and depth but is also really very flexible. I also like all the magic spells and feel that Shadow World does really well at creating a gritty world where magic is actually very common. All the spell lists are awesome. The casting time rules, unaltered, can be a little harsh on low level casters - especially if you are going with the EXP rules as stated :)

I always found RM pretty simple to wing but campaign wise I would tend to stick with a straightforward dungeon scenario to get everyone's feet wet with the system before getting more complex :)

Hal :hal:

#3 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hal,

Do you still have that xls spreedsheet that you used for experience for our game?

#4 Kolobos

Kolobos

RPGMP3 Patron

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

If this helps: there is an iOS Rolemaster experience app available. Something I meant to mention to Hal also, since he's more experienced and could say whether it was good enough for use. It's call XPTracker and video tutorials can be found at www.LarsApps.com.

Don't know if it's available for android phones, but it might be worth looking into!

#5 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

If this helps: there is an iOS Rolemaster experience app available. Something I meant to mention to Hal also, since he's more experienced and could say whether it was good enough for use. It's call XPTracker and video tutorials can be found at www.LarsApps.com.

Don't know if it's available for android phones, but it might be worth looking into!

I think it's called xp calc for rolemaster but it seems to be what I was looking for thank you 

#6 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hal,

Do you still have that xls spreedsheet that you used for experience for our game?

I'll see if I can dig out out but it is specifically for my homebrew rules...

#7 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

I got such the urge to play it again but no one around here knows the rules. So I decided to run it myself. I believe we ran the Rolemaster FRP which is what I decided to follow up with unless someone has another suggestion.

Will you be recording this?  *hopes*

#8 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Don't forget to provoke heaps of infighting and give the players lots of weird stuff to turn them into a freakshow!

#9 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

Don't forget to provoke heaps of infighting and give the players lots of weird stuff to turn them into a freakshow!

I suspect Hal didn't need to provoke anything - that seemed to be mostly an automatic response when the LTT's got into a room together from listening to their games :)

#10 El-Cid

El-Cid

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

I hope he is also recording this. I'm trying to learn Rolemaster myself and I am looking forward starting.

#11 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to record anything yet. I will work on that. But I did talk one of the players to be a healer class. It will be nice to see how she handles it. I do have a question for nerve spell attacks or mental spell attack is there a specific crit table that is used. I can't seem to find something suitable for it.

#12 Chewzter

Chewzter

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

I do have a question for nerve spell attacks or mental spell attack is there a specific crit table that is used. I can't seem to find something suitable for it.

Just going from what I remember from listening to it, isn't there something like a "Physical Erosion" table for these spells? Unfortunately one of the only nerve spells that I remember from the episodes was along the lines of "nerve fire" (or fire nerves?), which always did a percentage of the current hitpoints as damage...

#13 ScottS

ScottS

Raven

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

My understanding of RM is that only effects that could potentially kill people get crits.  So if you are talking about those "pain" spells (Fire Nerves, Minor/Major Pain, etc.), you should probably think of them as save-or-suck or nonlethal-damage (in D&D/PF terms). 

#14 El-Cid

El-Cid

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

Fire nerves and drop hit points but can't kill. In that case the enemy could flick you and you then drop. But if I'm reading right, you can take crits with fire nerves... SO more xp's for those who take the damage.

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

SO more xp's for those who take the damage.

"This musty old version of D&D is stupid! What's this taco nonsense, anyway?!"
"You mean THAC0?"
"Whatever! Minus is good, plus is bad? Low AC is better than high? This doesn't make a lick of sense!"
"Well, we could play Rolemaster?"
"Sure, it can't be any more confusing than this $#!%."
"Okay, the first thing ya gotta remember is that you gain XP for taking damage, and-"
"..."
j-d-exploding-head-o.gif

#16 El-Cid

El-Cid

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

"This musty old version of D&D is stupid! What's this taco nonsense, anyway?!"
"You mean THAC0?"
"Whatever! Minus is good, plus is bad? Low AC is better than high? This doesn't make a lick of sense!"
"Well, we could play Rolemaster?"
"Sure, it can't be any more confusing than this $#!%."

How I felt when I opened the books.

"Yay I got my books, time for a cup of noodle and good...." Flipping through the pages. "Math problems harder then rifts?"

"Well shit..."

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

I got such the urge to play it again but no one around here knows the rules. So I decided to run it myself.

Ahh, another generation of little Nedlings, being brought up through the gamer ranks. ;)

1441472_262313657252126_2098441404_n.jpg

#18 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

Love that picture :)

We need more Rolemaster - hopefully the latest edition will draw people in and be awesome :)

#19 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

Well, the reviews of Rolemaster Unified (Beta version) Arms Law, Spell Law and Character Law were somewhat grim... :(

Well, while there are a few good nuggets buried in this pile of words and tables, they are most definitely buried and it might be better to just junkpile the majority of this book and start over.

If the final version looks anything like this beta, then I will grieve for Rolemaster…..

Overall, this is still recognizably Rolemaster, though this product does go a long way to increasing the power of spell casters while simultaneously cutting the potential number of ranks that a first level character can have, making them less capable overall.

The only even halfway good thing here is that this is a beta, so there is still time for changes to correct all of the problems, though some of them may require that these “designers” scrap large portions and start over.

After going through Spell Law in detail, it becomes clear that any spell user that relieas on spells that attack others (except for directed attacks which use normal combat rules) are completely and utterly hosed. It is also clear that the author of this book has a thing for Essence Spell Casters and hates Mentalism spell users (since they are the ones most hosed).

It is also clear that the author basically knows very little about creating or balancing spell lists, as some have been completely nerfed, while others have been jacked up in power to unbelievable levels.

#20 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

Booooooooooo! I want good Rolemaster for all!

I have to confess that when I run it is is heavily house-ruled in general. I also tend to play a higher fantasy game which lets me do things like allow players to ignore crits and the like :)

Might be time to get some MERP on or something...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge