#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Pottering around the rather spiffy new Glorantha.com website I spotted a reference to their new and revised Fan Material Policy. Fairly short and possibly of interest to some people here.

It's not entirely clear how it relates to gaming audio but in general it appears to allow it. A few publishers have rather notorious reputations for pouncing on fan sites and material, so it's nice to see things laid out accessibly and in a fairly friendly fashion. If anyone has links to other publisher policies that might be relevant to us here then do please post links, whether it's from a company who are for or against fan efforts. General statements without actual evidence aren't so helpful in this context (normally I'm a huge fan of them, of course) so do please remember the links if you can find them.

#2 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

yeah, the whole fan material, derivative works, and performace/exhibitions of works is a thorny thicket. 

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

I think most companies are happy with these kinds of recordings so long as you aren't reading the whole thing out on audio :)

It is similar to a performance or radio play and certainly serves as a review of the product as well.

Hal :hal:

#4 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

I can certainly state that I've picked up a number of RPG products as I've heard them on here. In the case of The One Ring I picked it up before the audio hit. Hopefully most companies can see this. 

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

They can, generally, and really there are only a very few companies with truly draconian policies; most are quite reasonable since they do of course have a right to protect their products and properties, which isn't always an easy mix with allowing an enthusiastic fanbase to get creative. The majority of people who make games love nothing more than hearing about people having fun with them.

#6 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Here is the licensing information for Fate Core. Basically it's a nice open system that asks, at most, for a mention that you are using them.

#7 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Back in the day, I seem to recall Hal being really explicit about the fact that they were reviewing published material.  Reviews are protected, though, yeah, like Thing said, thorny thicket.

You could always call it satire and say you were playing badly.  It would be hard to prove that a group plays well.

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

You could always call it satire and say you were playing badly.

Yes, I reckon that Whartson Hall could just about get away with that :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge