• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

The Gaming Grunts present The Flood (Deadlands Reloaded)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

The Gaming Grunts are proud to present their latest gaming audio: The Flood, a campaign for Deadlands Reloaded.

In episode 1, the posse meet on a train to California and are ambushed by Indians!

http://thegaminggrunts.com/flood/flood-01-train.mp3

You can subscribe to our RSS feed at http://www.thegaming...blog/?feed=rss2

#2 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hurray!  and there it is on my itunes already.

#3 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

My group has been playing through this as well. Be interesting to hear your take.

#4 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Indeed. The Ootak crew may hit Shan Fan sometime today or next week.

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Indeed. The Ootak crew may hit Shan Fan sometime today or next week.

PS: Belated happy birthday, @LightPagoda. :)

#6 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Salright, looks like Patrick was about a month late there himself since if my notes are right that was recorded july 15 rather than june.  

PrestoJeff, are you doing alternate sessions for bennies because of your lunch hour gaming sessions?  Are you going to do the same thing for experience points?  My group has been having some short sessions recently so I have been considering offering no experience for some sessions to slow the progression a little.  I felt my neckbeard instincts flinch at a few minor rules bobbles, but I think you did better than OotAK did our first outing with Savage Worlds.  I am curious what your group's reaction to the system is given what their system background (at least as shown on the podcast) has been.  It was a fun listen and I look forward to more.  

#7 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Salright, looks like Patrick was about a month late there himself since if my notes are right that was recorded july 15 rather than june.  

PrestoJeff, are you doing alternate sessions for bennies because of your lunch hour gaming sessions?  Are you going to do the same thing for experience points?  My group has been having some short sessions recently so I have been considering offering no experience for some sessions to slow the progression a little.  I felt my neckbeard instincts flinch at a few minor rules bobbles, but I think you did better than OotAK did our first outing with Savage Worlds.  I am curious what your group's reaction to the system is given what their system background (at least as shown on the podcast) has been.  It was a fun listen and I look forward to more.  

@LightPagoda, yes, because our sessions are so short, I give out new Fate chips on odd-numbered sessions, folks write down what they have after that session, then they get them back on even numbered sessions and turn them in after that. For experience points, since the base rules say on average two per session, I'm scaling that to one per session for us.  I don't mind letting them get that first five XP rather quickly so they can start smoothing out the rough edges and building up their characters.

If I'm making errors, please let me know.  I know I just recently blew some healing rolls, but it seems way too easy to get wounded and then stay wounded in this system.

The players seem to be enjoying all the fiddly bits (chips and cards), and I've started using makeshift miniatures on a battlemat (this first session didn't use minis), and appreciate the fast combat system.  One "nice" thing about The Flood is that there's a LOT of fighting....

#8 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Lets see, it sounded like they were just rolling their stat die for soaking instead of stat and wild, same for recovering from shaken.  Pretty much everything but damage and the d20 fear roll gets a wild die.  For recovering from shaken a simple success un-shakes, but you cant act.  You need a raise to act normally.  A spent benny in the case of a failed roll or simple success lets you act normally of course.  Given your short game sessions I could see house ruling that to just a normal success so people have a better chance to act in a combat.  If you soak all your wounds you also get rid of shaken for free.  I am also fairly sure that the wild cards can still be up with 3 wounds, that it is the fourth that knocks them into incapacitated.  It is just that you max out at 3 wounds at any given time, that 4th or more dont count as extra penalties they just knock you down and go away.  The skill healing applies not only the healer's penalties but the patient's as well to the roll.  Again I could see you house ruling that away to give your guys more good up time for your sessions.  While it sounds like you handled it better than I did my first time, I found tracking how many wounds a character gets was easier mentally if I subtracted the targets toughness from the damage dealt.  0 = shaken, then 4,8,16 etc are wounds.  Makes the mental math easier for me to do it that way rather than track them directly on the damage amount.  I dont know if you huckster realizes it, but his bolt spell can be rapid fired for up to 3 bolts at 1 pp each, or one suped up bolt of 3d6 for I think 2pp, but the power should mention.  Also, you mentioned you werent sure about the extra d6 for a raise and yup he gets it with magic.  Pretty much any attack that rolls to hit will get that extra d6 on a raise.

My guys really love the adventure cards that are a savage worlds optional thing, though integrating them into a pre-written campaign can be a bit difficult since they sometimes allow the players to change the world.  So far we have been doing ok without a big map out, but I have occasionally had to keep a diagram on a whiteboard for the ranges if nothing else.  From the first episode it seems like you only have one magic user in the party.  If someone dies (which is actually fairly hard) and makes a new character, blessed/shaman/scientist all get the healing spell if I recall correctly.  That is slightly better than the healing skill since the skill has to be used within an hour of the injury and if I recall only once on a given set of wounds.  The spell doesnt have the time limit.  Dont recall about the usage limit at the moment.  Or you could just let the huckster take healing to have some extra pickup in the group.  I myself am only giving my guys 1 per session unless they hit a big plot point since we are averaging one fight and roughly half a session of RP a night.  They are still kicking ass pretty handily.  

#9 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Other than what LightPagoda just said, I'll throw in that you can't spend a benny to reroll damage unless you have the particular edge that lets you do that.

And yes, it can be very easy in this game to stun someone, next person does a point of damage, they unstun but can't do anything else, repeat.

#10 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the pointers, @LightPagoda.  I'll try to remember them in our next session.

The huckster is aware of the extra Burst options, he just doesn't always remember them in combat :)

We've lost the player who plays the shaman, so Healing has become an issue in the most recent fight.  Hucksters don't (normally) get the Healing power, though, so I'm debating whether to introduce an NPC healer-type, or possibly bring in healing potions.  I don't want the players to have to spend XP on acquiring and raising their Healing skill.

#11 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

You could always have the society have a mad scientist working with them sending stuff out with the group to field test.  That would give them a limited amout of 'magic' healing while still staying within the flavor I think.  Maybe a ghost rock powered handheld device so that the group has to pay up to keep it fueled.  It isnt so much that they have free heals since the amount is limited before they are gone and they have to go all the way back to that npc to restock, or find a large town to refuel.  My group has been doing ok with a normal doctor and no magical heals, but she was based on Dr. Quinn, medicine woman so is all about survival and healing.  Balancing this kind of thing can be difficult.

#12 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Episode 2 of The Flood has been released.

The posse seem strangely hesitant to explore the tunnel that derailed their train.
http://thegaminggrun...d-02-tunnel.mp3

#13 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oh ya, it is odd the campaign gives the players no real reasons not to just backtrack to the nearest town and assumes they will go explore.  Having characters with the curious hindrance makes things like that easier to deal with, though even then I was thinking of excuses to get my guys down that hole when it came up for us.

#14 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Well, a reasonable group of players would be expecting to get out and about and actually play the adventure. We never had any problems with getting involved.

Indeed, what our GM has "problems" with is that we keep getting caught up in the 'side quests' and delve into those rather than the main plot. Although there have been a few quests we've managed to completely avoid, just because we didn't go some particular way. We are having a lot of fun, but we are heading towards the end of the campaign...

#15 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Episode 3 of The Flood has been released.

The posse meet the famous Doctor Hellstromme and fight off some unwelcome intruders.
http://thegaminggrun...hellstromme.mp3

#16 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

No long arms in melee, and pistols are shooting vs parry rather than the standard of 4.  I think the justification for this is the target's ability to smack the weapon around to knock it off aim.  One of my more rules lawyer players from my non-ootak group hates this rule and thinks it is unrealistic.  Dual wielding is lots of fun, but a character sort of has to be built for it.  From base you have the multi-action penalty (-2 each), then an offhand penalty on one weapon (-2) which gives you -2/-4.   There are ways to negate some of those penalties, and you are not hurt by holding two weapons at once, but using both when not built for it makes it hard to hit things.  From session 2, as far as I can recall common knowledge is a smarts roll rather than untrained knowledge as it is assumed people have their smarts worth of knowledge in their own society.  Glad to see the group worked up the courage to meet up with Hellstrome and proceed with the encounter. Again, hope I dont come of as a nit picking neckbeard.  I am enjoying the different take on the campaign and am just trying to be informational when I notice things.

#17 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Episode 4 of The Flood has been released. The posse head for Lost Angels aboard the Good Intentions, but somebody doesn't want them to get there....

Note that the recorder ran out of space towards the end of the fight, but the session ended shortly thereafter with the fight unresolved. It'll be finished in episode 05.

http://thegaminggrun...-intentions.mp3

#18 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

No long arms in melee, and pistols are shooting vs parry rather than the standard of 4.

Can you point me at this in the Explorer's Edition? I'll probably stick with what I'm doing now, but I am curious as to where this is.

Again, hope I dont come of as a nit picking neckbeard.  I am enjoying the different take on the campaign and am just trying to be informational when I notice things.

Nope, I appreciate the pointers, and am glad you're enjoying the campaign.

#19 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Dont have that version handy atm, in the Deluxe Edition on pg 75, part of the Situational Combat Rules section which lists out a bunch of specific cases.

Ranged Weapons in Close Combat

No ranged weapon larger than a pistol may be fired at
adjacent foes engaged in melee. Larger weapons may be
used as clubs, however. Pistols can be fired in close combat,
but since the defender is actively fighting back, the TN for the
Shooting roll is his Parry rather than the standard TN of 4.
     That means it’s harder to hit someone who’s wrestling with
your character in melee than someone a few feet further away
who isn’t actively wrestling with your hero.

I tell a lie, apparently I do have Explorers handy.  Page 70, part of Special Rules with the same subheading of Ranged Weapons in Close Combat.  Looks like the text is unchanged in the two editions to me.

I probably went too easy on my guys with how their assault by the steam wagons went.  Still nearly killed several of them, but that was their own fault really.  That ogre is a badass though.

#20 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I tell a lie, apparently I do have Explorers handy.  Page 70, part of Special Rules with the same subheading of Ranged Weapons in Close Combat.  Looks like the text is unchanged in the two editions to me.

I probably went too easy on my guys with how their assault by the steam wagons went.  Still nearly killed several of them, but that was their own fault really.  That ogre is a badass though.

In my Explorer's Edition (the smaller size, not the 8.5x11), it's on page 85. Hmm, I'm not sure I want to enforce that, but thanks for pointing it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge