• Create Account
Photo

The Shattered World - A Background Idea?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 artemiswolfang

artemiswolfang

Goblin

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

As I mentioned here, I had an idea come to me during a standardized test (which I turned in). This is roughly what I remember from it:

The city. A gritty, dirty, despondent place where almost anything can happen. This is the world in 2158, a shattered place full of broken dreams and ugly realities.

It all started with America, wanting to bring its own brand of “progress”, called “democracy”, to the rest of the world. After claiming Iraq as a territory in 2008, the superpower turned its sights to other countries.
France. Not the weakest country, but they had turned down supporting their beloved President George W. Bush, had they not?

The war raged on for over eight years, and when the smoke cleared, America lay shattered. But in 2025, when the UK announced its intention to reclaim America as a colony, the wounded citizens lashed out. For they had not spent all that time simply fighting. Oh no. They had developed horrific biochemical weapons and deadly bombs.

At the end of this true world war, every country across the planet was left reeling, seeming to gasp for air desperately. All seemed quiet. At least, that’s how it appeared…

This was over a hundred years ago. Today, there are rumors of several groups wanting to restore this concept called a “democracy”. We can only hope that these are simply rumors…

Let me know what you think.

#2 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:21 AM

Interesting.

So, about 150 years in the future? What's going on up in space. Were the colonies watching with horror as the mother planet tried to destroy itself, or did the US Mars colony take out His Majesties Territory of Ceres?

Nukes were thrown, plagues were released. Nuclear winter? Plagues affecting other primates? Mammals? Animals?

100 years. 3 generations or so. So mot enough for nukes to create mutants, but plenty for mutagens to. Also the radiation counts should be OK, apart from at detonation sites.

I like it! :) May be a bit in the future for some of the "gritty" crowd, but I think we could do good things with this!

#3 artemiswolfang

artemiswolfang

Goblin

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Interesting.

So, about 150 years in the future? What's going on up in space. Were the colonies watching with horror as the mother planet tried to destroy itself, or did the US Mars colony take out His Majesties Territory of Ceres?

Nukes were thrown, plagues were released. Nuclear winter? Plagues affecting other primates? Mammals? Animals?

Up in space? I'm thinking that most of the colonies tried to stay impartial, and that there may be some American colonies up in space, but the other countries try to help keep them supplied.

Yes, I'm thinking a nuclear winter sort of thing. Lots of species dying, and lots of weird mutations of the diseases from being processed by various animals and passed on.

#4 N-kun

N-kun

Stirge

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBradford UK

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

does ad an interesting extra element, with the space-based reminants of humanity having to over come national ties and find a way to suvive. Also do they quarentine earth to stop all of humanity dying or do they attempt to help anyway?

#5 artemiswolfang

artemiswolfang

Goblin

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

Also do they quarentine earth to stop all of humanity dying or do they attempt to help anyway?

Mmm, I don't honestly know. Something to think about.

#6 suncrafter

suncrafter

Kobold

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:23 AM

When making Sci-Fi (weather a movie, tv show, book, game, or whatever) NEVER - I repeat - NEVER give a specific date for when the story takes place.
Giving specific dates is one of the most common errors that Sci-fi writers make. 99% of the time the predictions and historical events stated in fictional time-lines do NOT come true. And the book/game/move looks foolish.
For example, according to "Star Trek" history - their was a huge nuclear war in the 1990's that was started by genetically modified supermen trying to take over the world. LOL.
Be very vague about when events take place. You will be glad should your game become popular. :)

#7 JabberwockySR

JabberwockySR

Kobold

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFlint, MI, USA

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:08 AM

Eh, that's why it's called an alternative timeline. Sure, some settings have absurdly inaccurate timelines, (both ahead and behind actual developments) but that's one of the things that you have to accept if you're going to enjoy any fiction.

#8 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:38 AM

Eh, that's why it's called an alternative timeline. Sure, some settings have absurdly inaccurate timelines.

What? You mean I've been losing sleep worrying over those damn dirty apes for nothing 8O

#9 JabberwockySR

JabberwockySR

Kobold

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFlint, MI, USA

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:24 AM

What? You mean I've been losing sleep worrying over those damn dirty apes for nothing 8O

The original wasn't too bad, but the ending of the Tim Burton version... Gah!

#10 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

You mean the ending he ripped off from Kevin Smith? Just kidding, just kidding, Mr. Burton. Please don't say anything nasty about me in the Times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge