14 replies to this topic

#1 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

From the Announcements Forum:

How can I expect to run a website about gaming without going to cons? Oh wait... :)

Hal :hal:

Hal, you could always start your own....

Seeing as this is an international community, an online gaming con could be interesting... Don't ask me how it might work, but I'm picturing lots of Roll20 google hangouts

Is this feasible? Is it possible?

Has it already been done?

Is anyone interested?

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

Monkeys Took My Jetpack (another RPG AP podcasting site) hosted a virtual RPG con a while back, tastefully named Monkey Con.

It appears they weren't the only people doing so.

Also, if you peruse the MTMJetpack site, you can find recorded games from the con.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

It was something we started talking about a little while ago - with the tech we have and use for gaming it wouldn't really be that difficult to have an online con.

You could get panel discussions going and run games online, perhaps get online retails to give discounts or free shipping to attendees.

I think we could make a decent go of it if we chose to try. What do folks think?

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

My only question is why didn't we think to do this sooner? I'm in! 

#5 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Sounds interesting.  So we would have a 'attendees only' webpage with loads of links to live events/games/talks/hangouts and discounted retailers?

#6 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

And booth babes?!

#7 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

And booth babes?!

I'm not sure how...

#8 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:02 AM

I'm not sure how...

I'm just hoping that Pencil-Monkey doesn't find a gif file to show us.  I get the feeling that we might just wish we never wondered aloud.

As for the con,  I'd love to join in on a game or two if my schedule permits.

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

I'll start seeing how feasible it would be to coordinate something like that through the site but I suspect it is something that might not be too bad at all.

We would just need enough momentum initially to fill games and get some panel attendees and the like. Perhaps a little merch.

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

And booth babes?!

I'm not sure how...

I'm just hoping that Pencil-Monkey doesn't find a gif file to show us.  I get the feeling that we might just wish we never wondered aloud.

@WhiteKnight can help, if he's still got the outfit.

422511397_f6de81febc.jpg

#11 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Sign me up!!!! I think it's a great idea. I could definitely get the word around for people to sign for games and maybe get some DM's to run games.

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Cool :)

I'll look into it. I think we will need folks to run games, famous folks to interview and a good time to run it when a lot of people will have some time.

What dates do we think might work best for everyone in countries that might likely be interested?

How much would be reasonable to charge for attendees?

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Here's a handy website, for people who're looking for online gaming conventions. For example, Fear the Boot are running an online con called Fear the Internet, in June, so if anyone's got a hankering for trying that out (possibly after listening to @ThistledownJohn's recordings), here's your chance, no matter where in the world you may be. :)

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:17 AM

tumblr_o0yeaxOm4C1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

Some of the people to watch out for at conventions: the guy who’s careless around your miniatures, the guy with the guns who causes security alerts, the guy with the unsheathed sword, and the over-eager artist pushing his pinups. (Jim Holloway from “Pulling a Con Job”, Dragon No 159, TSR, July 1990.) That’s obviously Larry Elmore with the paintbrush over his ear, his fleeing victim with the goatee looks like Holloway himself, and I’m pretty sure that’s Jim Roslof on the farthest right, probably followed by other TSR employees.

tumblr_o0yf5vKEhX1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

More convention mayhem: nudity beats the most carefully researched and constructed cosplay. (Jim Holloway from “Pulling a Con Job”, Dragon No 159, TSR, July 1990.) D&D artist Clyde Caldwell appears to be leaping to award the prize, held back by Jeff Easley with glasses askew.

Apparently, it wasn't uncommon for RPG artists to use themselves and their associates as models, even on book covers:

tumblr_md2xbhew0Y1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

Cover of campaign module BH3: Ballots & Bullets for the Boot Hill RPG, written by David James Ritchie, illustrated by Jim Holloway, TSR, 1982.
According to the Black Gate website, the models for the cover characters are (left to right) Larry Elmore on horse, Jim Holloway himself, Jeff Easley, and Jim Roslof.

#15 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:10 AM

Mirrors are cheaper than models I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge