6 replies to this topic

#1 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:08 PM

OK, Whilst watching my son swim without armbands for the 1st time (hurrah!), I started working on this.

So far I've done Slashing - Head (OK, I've not worked on it very hard!)

1. Slash across foes eyes. Damage x 10 % chance of blinding.
2. Slash across foes nose. Foe is at -30% due to pain & shock.
3. Slash across foes throat. Foe is at -10% & bleeding damage/2 per round.
4. Slash across foes scalp. Foe is temporarily blinded due to blood in eyes for 2d6 rds.
5. Slash cuts off foes ear. All hearing checks for foe are @-50% & foe is stunned for a round.
6. Slash cuts foes windpipe. Foe is at -50% to all actions & cannot breath

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

I like critical tables, the only problem is that they slow the system down and are not for everyone :P One of my favourite systems is Rolemaster. I have run it and played it for years. If character gen was not such a bitch I might run a short game :P

I think that is why campaigns are so short these days. Character gen is so very quick. Once you have spent 8 hours making a level 3 Rolemaster character you either want to burn the whole lot (box set and all) or play it until you die. One thing a Rolemaster GM has to try to avoid is a large turnover of characters :P It is almost like killing a baby (in fact some labours are shorter than Rolemaster character gen) :P

Hal :hal:

#3 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

My vote is for some kind of crit table, slow or not. I just like the little details like that.

I'm about to run a D20 D&D game for my daughter and maybe one other person and I'll be adding Bastion Press' Torn Asunder in some degree to it. But then again, I'm throwing in lots of stuff like morale saves, npc reaction roles, tracking material components, and anything else I can think of.

Since it's just me as GM and one or two players, I figure I can take my time and make the game immersive. I also want it to be her against the game (dice), not her against the GM.

Still, if we're just looking to design a one-night quickie type of game, none of that stuff might be appropriate. We could just stick to something simple like the old Fighting Fantasy gamebook system.

#4 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:53 AM

Perhaps while it is interesting, it might be best to concentrate on generalities that can be adapted for the situation, rather than minutiae?

#5 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:19 AM

Spoil sport :evil:

Actually, I agree if it's just a one night trial run. That's why I mentioned the old gamebook rule systems. Low number of rules, quick play. The old Bloodsword books even allowed for multiple players and a GM.

Of course, for something that minimal, the burden would likely fall on those who've professed writing skills (ahem, ahem) to provide some detailed scenarios to keep things flowing. :wink:

#6 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:38 AM

How about this? Make the attack roll a single percentile roll. Roll a d100 and add the appropriate modifiers: + for skills and weapon used, - for targets defense. Have a single chart with ranges from no damage (0-50% for example) to 1 or 2 points damage. The 90-100% could (just an idea) be reserved for lethal descriptive critical hits. Hell, a natural 100% could be a threat for an instant kill.

#7 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

We once wrote a d1000 critical hit table. It was incomplete but one of the more amusing results ended with "and must write a new entry for this table".

I've always been a fan of the WFRP 1st ed critical hit & fumbles tables (yes that includes the optional ones for nonslashing damage that were printed in White Dwarf and came with the GM's pack).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge