13 replies to this topic

#1 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Looks like there are plenty of games out there for free, or being offered free for a day for promotions.  I'll start off with

Demon Hunters , currently for free on Drive Thru RPG

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Snagged! Thanks Thing.

#3 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Ditto!

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Reposted from Trollish Delver dot com, where you can find the links to the free RPGs.

Free RPGs are all over the major PDF download sites like DrivethruRPG and RPGNow, but the real task is to sift through the mud and find the best free roleplaying games. Now, I'm not talking about introductory games here, I'm talking about full blown core RPGs for free. You can't go wrong there. So let's take a look at what RPGs the web has to offer our cheap and greasy hands.

CJ Carrella's Witchcraft - If you're looking for modern horror and urban fantasy you need look no further than Witchcraft. Playing out like Buffy and Supernatural, Witchcraft uses an easy system - Unisystem, that allows for a lot of variety in your game.

Labyrinth Lord - One of a couple of OSR games on the list. Labyrinth Lord is a wonderful re-imagining of the Dungeons and Dragons B/X rulesets. As long as you don't mind text-only, this is a free RPG you don't want to miss.

Tales from the Wood - Sure, playing as a vole or ferret doesn't sound like much, but once you get playing Tales from the Wood you'll realise there's a lot more to this little game that meets the eye. Rather than playing humanoid animals, here you take on the role of actual animals in their fight to survive in the woods.

Swords and Wizardry - This is one of my all time favourite games. Swords and Wizardry is a great free roleplaying game that emulates the original D&D edition. This is pure old school mayhem and it doesn't get much better than this.

D6 System - Bundling 3 settings for one great price of nothing, the D6 System is a simple and effective ruleset used in games such as Xena and Star Wars. For diddly squat you get Adventure, Space and Fantasy. You can't ask for much more than that.

Barbarians of Lemuria - This game rocks all kinds of face. BoL is set in a low fantasy, sword and sorcery world and contains some amazing streamlined rules. My favourite part is the freeform magic system, which allows the player to pretty much do whatever they like with their magical powers. Great free game.

Neverwhere 3rd Edition - Based on Neil Gaiman's book and TV series, Neverwhere is an urban fantasy game set in London Below, a magical parallel realm that co-exists with London, or 'London Above'. Check out the source material and get playing.

Mutant Future - Gamma World gets the OSR treatment with Mutant Future, a madcap post-apocalyptic RPG where you can play as a plant. Oh hells yes.

OSRIC - Here's a cleaned up ruleset based on 1st edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Worth a play if you feel like harkening back to the glory days of roleplaying for free.

Four Colour System - Ah, the golden age of comic books, when heroes were heroes and villains were nasty but loveable. 4C has a great set of rules to run a supers game for free!

#5 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

Nice work PM :)

Don't forget that Bundle of Holding do huge armfuls of pdfs at pick-your-own prices! I think they just finished a bundle but there should be one up shortly and I all the bundles this side of Halloween will be terrifying! (cue atmospheric chords on the organ and clashes of thunder...)

#6 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Seconded. Nice listing there PM!

I've got Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future and very nice they are too. :)

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Hey @Hal, is there a way to update the site calendar with vital information? ;)

ribbon2014.gif

#8 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Updated!

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

*Checks calendar*

Err, not to complain or anything, but: Free RPG Day wasn't yesterday, it's on June 21st. (As indicated by the banner, above.) ;)

#10 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:18 AM

err. I'm sure I must have done it right, check again. ;)

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

Here's another site where you can find plenty of free RPGs:

1KM1KT.net

1km1kt2.jpg

Most of the items on offer seem to be home-brewed games made for RPG design contests and suchlike, but there might be a few gems in the rough to be found. :)

#12 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

My go-to place is here: http://fossilbank.wi...y:tabletop-game

Two free games I really love:

Into The Odd

(You've got a flintlock, a wheezing cough and a gambling debt. Why not go poking decommissioned killbots for profit?)

Mini Six 

(A nice, quick and simple version of the D6 rules)

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

tumblr_nfm19p8USN1r1xi5so1_500.png

I have never been to a tabletop session where one player was not rockin’ this game solo.

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:31 AM

Anyone interested in free D&D 5E scenarios might wanna check out EncounterRoleplay.com:

• The Sun Goes Down With a Ruby Smile
Designed for 1st Level Characters in 5th Edition, this Adventure Module takes the party to an abandoned colony where adventure and mystery awaits them! They will uncover the bloody past of this island, but will they fall prey to it themselves?

The Sun Goes Down With a Ruby Smile is a Free Downloadable PDF by Remley Farr of Insomniac's Ink and available for you to use in your games. First in the series of adventures on EncounterRoleplay, Sun Goes Down is an investigative thriller for new and experienced DMs! Let us know what you think and how your own adventures go!

sun-goes-down.png
  • Fishing for Gods in Strade’s Gallows
“A routine medical shipment to the swampy town of Strade’s Gallows takes a turn for the eccentric when the party happens across enigmatic fish-men who begin to worship them as gods. Can the party solve the mystery of Strade’s Gallows’s ailment, or will their new disciples botch it all up?”

Fishing for Gods in Strade’s Gallows is a Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition module designed for 3-5 players at level 2. This module features NPC dynamics where cordial manners and a polite smile can advance the party’s progress moreso than a swathe of blades and evocation spells. This, however, doesn’t mean that the party shouldn’t keep their wits about them. There are plenty of baddies to beat up on or be devoured by.

Fishing-1024x765.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge