87 replies to this topic

#81 N-kun

N-kun

Stirge

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBradford UK

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

anytime a player has to look in a book to work out what they have done it slows down the game pure and simple, damage dice are a quicker alternative to tables. This is why fewer game systems use tables than use dice.

if we are gonna talk about systems I like Dragonkins mechanic whereby the limb is unuseable but can be fixed at one point but is totally destroyed at another, this happens in Godlike, which has possibly the best system for combat ever (its all resolved on one roll) if your arm fills with shock damage, its broken and you cant use it, if it fills with killing damage your looking at amputation and the like.

#82 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

I'm unfamiliar with Godlike so I had to look it up. Technically it's one roll, but it involves lots of dice. How many d10's do you roll? And it still sounds like a chart. How big of a chart is it?

#83 N-kun

N-kun

Stirge

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBradford UK

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:40 PM

This doesnt use a chart apart from the locations which is conviently on the character sheet. As for the system its a dice pool so for example I shoot Riddles with my Lea-Enfield. I roll my co-ordination + rifle in dice, in order to suceed i need at least a matching pair, more dice in my set means more damage as the lea-enfield does width+2 in damage, The higher the number of the set is where you do your damage, the higher the number the more vital the place. as for initiative, the widest set is resolved first, if they are equal in width then the highest is resolved. so in our example i have co-ordination 3 and rifle 4 giving me a pool of 7 dice i roll them and get

6, 6, 8, 3, 9, 9, 9

sucess, Riddles is going to take 5 of killing damage in the torso from my first shot, unfortunately as well as the imediate ripping of flesh the blood loss makes him take the same amount in shock damage. as he has 10 boxes in his torso, he is at some serious penalties for having been shot in the chest. (-4 to his physical stats). If you fill up an area with shock damage in wraps round to become killing ala bashing and leathal in the world of darkness. If i was using a weapon that could fire more than once in a combat round, i could shoot him again with my pair of 6s this time in the right arm. hed take 4 killing and 4 shock, unfortunate he only has 5 boxes in his arm, the wrap around fills it with killing and the remaining two shock go on to the torso, converting two of the already shock filled boxes into killing.

Riddles is almost certainly going to die unless someone helps him, with a brains + first aid role within the first 15 mins of being shot to stabilise him, if he doesnt recieve the attention he will loose an addition level of shock per day to the area in question. In order to heal that killing damage it requires a week in hosiptal per box in order to convert it to shock. Shock can be removed by rolling a body + health roll at the start of each day, the number of sucesses is the amount of shock you heal. Even if we fix him up, the limb that was filled with killing will never be the same it may have had to be removed or it may have lost a perminant wound box, or it could be a bit stiff in the wet and he would encur penalties for body and co-ordination for using it in such conditions, the actual effects are up to the gm.

so there you go the godlike combat system in a can.

#84 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:33 AM

Your feeble bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel! :P

And what do you mean, width+2? Are you implying something? :? ... :)

Sounds like a good system though. I shall try and find it out...

#85 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:40 AM

It sounded pretty interesting and workable, so I looked a little more and found the official site with downloadable quick start rules and a few other things.

http://arcdream.com/.../home/index.htm

The checkboxes on the body to indicate damage was fun, although I noticed they left out the all important groin shot. 8O

Of course, their system has super powers, which we haven't agreed on yet, but the "dice pool" idea looks really workable and adaptable to a PA setting.

Assuming we use dice. I guess to make sure everything is considered, are there any workable non-dice systems out there short of a fully develop trading card game?

#86 N-kun

N-kun

Stirge

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBradford UK

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

ive used two none dice systems in the past, Castle Falkenstien uses a card based system that while workable it a touch more clunky than your average dice system, the other was for the game Nobilis which has a bizzare points system that i disliked due to its rather nebulous nature.

#87 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Me, I want dice. But I thought I'd ask.

Back to dice pools. I don't mean to get overly nitpicky this early in the process, but one of the things I keep reading is that it is a time saver in the game. What are we talking about, hours, minutes, seconds? Does rolling three or four times in a roll really eat up that much time as opposed to rolling a handful at a time and adding up your matches?

#88 N-kun

N-kun

Stirge

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBradford UK

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:37 AM

honestly, i dont know, im guessing that the amount it saves is based in how much dice rolling is in a session.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge