riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

Oooh, new forum and not locked! ;)

OK, useful sites

Patricia C. Wrede's Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions is always a good place to start, whether or not it's a fantasy world you're building.

This site has some useful links as well, especially for harder sci-fi settings.

Roleplaying sources wise,

GURPS Traveller Scouts has some good rules for system creation (taken from a book called something like the Writers Guide to System Creation or soemthing like that. I'd also recommend the Writers Guide to Alien Worlds) [i'll edit these when I get home and actually read the titles!]. The Traveller Trader suppliment also has some excellent rules for creating trade routes which I've taken and used in many fantasy settings!

The Aria rpg has a suppliment called Aria Worlds or something like that, which I've used to create a rpg world setting before now (though the rpg itself it too storytelly for my liking).

I've got lots more links at home, some of them may still work! :)

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:24 AM

Cheers there!

Forum is locked for those who are not registered (or at least it should be) :P

Let the links flow :P

Hal :hal:

#3 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

Cheers there!

Forum is locked for those who are not registered (or at least it should be) :P

Let the links flow :P

Sorry, just meant we can post here, not that it's open to 'bots.

And I will edit my post above, but last night was very busy...

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:03 AM

The Aria rpg has a suppliment called Aria Worlds or something like that, which I've used to create a rpg world setting before now (though the rpg itself it too storytelly for my liking).

Wow! Aria. I own the RPG (for some reason I have the bad habit of buying RPGs based on the pretty art inside and the fact that I fall for the blurb (ask Lindsay, I fell for the blurb on the movie Alone in the Dark recently)).

I was always of the opinion that Aria was fine as long as you had an extensive thesaurus sat next to you. And always wondered how they managed to take accepted terms within gaming and create their own words to mean the same thing?

In conclusion, I think the only good use for the main Aria rulebook would be stunning cattle (for which it would be extremely good). Either that or standing on to reach high shelves :D

#5 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Wow! Aria. I own the RPG (for some reason I have the bad habit of buying RPGs based on the pretty art inside and the fact that I fall for the blurb (ask Lindsay, I fell for the blurb on the movie Alone in the Dark recently)).

I was always of the opinion that Aria was fine as long as you had an extensive thesaurus sat next to you. And always wondered how they managed to take accepted terms within gaming and create their own words to mean the same thing?

In conclusion, I think the only good use for the main Aria rulebook would be stunning cattle (for which it would be extremely good). Either that or standing on to reach high shelves :D

I've used it to create a character background. But the actual rules seemed so sh*t I never used them. The world building book is good though, for fantasy worlds anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge