#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

So apparently the 12th Doctor will be announced this Sunday.

What do people think?

Here is something I found on the net to kick off some discussions...

944759_10153116020210441_1172993745_n.jp

Hal :hal:

#2 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'll be abroad when the announcement is made on a special BBC programme this Sunday so sadly can't watch it live. I'm fairly confident however that were I to look at Twitter around that time, I might get the odd update or two... :)

Tough act to follow though, really tough act...

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think the owl could do it :)

#4 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Everyone since Sylvester McCoy has been a disappointment.. :mellow:

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Everyone since Sylvester McCoy has been a disappointment.. :mellow:

My favourite Doctor, which turns out to be a much more controversial opinion than it ought to be.

#6 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

It's Tom Baker for me, I'm afraid....

I wonder how the head writer will handle things when this next actor or actress decides to quit.  S/he will be the 12th Doctor, and ostensibly the character would be out of regenerations (arguably there could be one more, due to the off-by-one nature of the word "REgeneration", but I think the Doctor has said there will only be 12 of him).

The Time Lords did offer the Master a new set of regenerations in The Five Doctors.  Perhaps that bit of shiny will be discovered in the flotsam and jetsam that may have accompanied the "destruction" of Gallifrey.

#7 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

My favourite Doctor, which turns out to be a much more controversial opinion than it ought to be.

He was a pretty good Doctor character-wise, but the stories were pretty awful.

#8 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

I have been meaning to get a copy of Ghost Light for a while now... Must be the subliminal messaging I'm getting from somewhere... ;-)

McCoy is best! McCoy is beeeesssssst!

#9 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

While I do like the new show, I still think it isn't a patch on the 'old' Who

I did grow up with Tom Baker.

He is quite quite mad. Sorry if that is stating the obvious.

I remember a show he did just after Dr. Who called Booktower, which was devised to get children into reading. It's excellent them is on You Tube. They would dramatize the first few chapters of a novel but not continue - hoping of course that you'd be hooked on the story and pick the book up. Tom wandered around the Booktower like it was a TARDIS, he open a door and be somewhere weird and give you the linking narration between the dramatizations.

Opening/closing titles

I think the main problem with current Doctor Who is that Steven Moffat is writing too many episodes himself.

#10 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

In the spirit of keeping things cheery, I won't pass on my views on New Who, but many on the site are aware of them ;)

I did think that this news story might be of interest to some... I'm a big fan of the Thick of It, so, y'know, yay. But New Who is still going to be poo. Ahem.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.c...-164015198.html

#11 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

But I still haven't had a chance to watch any episodes with the last one!

Seriously, I know logically it's been years but somehow it feels like they just switched from Tennant a few months ago for me. It's weird.

#12 Skryme

Skryme

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

I also can't help but wonder if they will address the Valeyard in the next few years.  The Valeyard was sort of an amalgamation of the Doctor's darker sides from between his twelfth and final incarnations, who attempted to sabotage the Doctor in his sixth incarnation.  They spent an entire season on it.  So we know a future regeneration will go bad.  Will we get to see the other side of that story, where the Doctor goes evil and try to harm his 1980s self?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeyard

#13 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have to say, I was thinking about who I might like to see as Doctor Who for a possible return to a bit more of a thinking Doctor and a little less just running about and shouting.

It occurred to me that Stephen Fry would do a great job. He has written a script for Dr Who in the past called "The 1920s" (which was considered too complication and never got made) and was The Minister of Chance in the BBC Webcast Death Comes To Time

I think he would make an awesome doctor. Obviously he would never do it unless you could convince him that is wasn't going to be TV that was like 'chicken nuggets' :)

#14 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

So - watching the announcement... Lets hope we get a doctor that sticks with it for a while this time :)

Zoe Ball! Not seen her in ages living over here... Smells a bit like filler thus far...

#15 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

So - watching the announcement... Lets hope we get a doctor that sticks with it for a while this time :)

Three or four years is perfectly normal. Tom Baker was the exception and I think it worked against the series. Although if you want a bit of Who trivia, the answer to "Which actor was in the role of The Doctor  the longest before being replaced?" is Paul McGann  :)

#16 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I guess - I think I am a little tainted by the fact that it seems like a lot of the newer episodes kind of have the same feel. Something happens, then there is some running about and then everyone is OK again.

#17 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yay for Bernard Cribbins. He should be the new Doctor :)

#18 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

In all honesty I'm not terribly bothered by who they pick for the role. The problems with the show as it stands are nothing to do with the lead. It's about pacing, lack of credibility, intrusive music, simplistic plots, magic wands, internal referencing cleverness... Until they deal with some of those issues then I'm afraid that the actor piloting the blue box won't make much of a difference.

#19 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Who was that guy who knew nothing?

#20 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

In all honesty I'm not terribly bothered by who they pick for the role. The problems with the show as it stands are nothing to do with the lead. It's about pacing, lack of credibility, intrusive music, simplistic plots, magic wands, internal referencing cleverness... Until they deal with some of those issues then I'm afraid that the actor piloting the blue box won't make much of a difference.

I agree with all that. I don't much like the new companion yet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge