• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

A New Idea!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: What genre shall we have a stab at? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

What genre shall we have a stab at?

1. Fantasy (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. Sci-Fi (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Post Apocalyptic (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Horror (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Dark Future (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Supers (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

7. Pulp (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Historic (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Generic (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Steampunk (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

Hmmm. . . looks like this thread has died a death. Shame really as it held such promise.

Of all the post apocalypse games, the best have been Morrow Project, Aftermath and possibly Twilight 2000, though that last one is borderline.
Though there are countless other examples.

Consider certain areas of Ringworld for example. Or for that matter any space based game where there has been a collapse in the fabric of a galaxy spanning empire allowing planets to fall back down the technological tree to varying more primitive levels.

The point was made earlier that you need to establish the cause of the collapse, this is true. Without it the hazards of day to day life which the players will face are too fuzzily defined, and in a P.A. game they are fundamental to getting the feel of the setting right.

Anyone interested in pursuing this thread once more shout up.

#82 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

I'd like to.

Time to read it all again i guess... :)

#83 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:55 AM

Just dredging through some old threads, and this made me think, Mr. Steve -- what do you think about your game being a post-apocalyptic one? That would be fantastic. It's too bad the Fallout universe never became a proper PnP RPG.

#84 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:43 AM

I would love to play Fallout as a PnP of course I would love to play fall out as a new computer game.

#85 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:50 AM

Just dredging through some old threads, and this made me think, Mr. Steve -- what do you think about your game being a post-apocalyptic one? That would be fantastic. It's too bad the Fallout universe never became a proper PnP RPG.

Think I would at the very least lose Steve B if I tried to run a post-apocalyptic game, well a standard one anyway. He doesn't really do settings where there isn't much magic available.

That said I'll have a look around, maybe there is a compromise game, or maybe a one-off that can be run.

#86 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

Think I would at the very least lose Steve B if I tried to run a post-apocalyptic game, well a standard one anyway. He doesn't really do settings where there isn't much magic available.

That said I'll have a look around, maybe there is a compromise game, or maybe a one-off that can be run.

Lords of light!
This sounds like a job for Thundar the Barbarian!

Intro is on YouTube

#87 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:10 AM

Point taken. In many ways you could view He-Man as post-apocalyptic with the weird meshing of Science/Medievel/Magic that they have going on there.

Not saying it's impossible, but I would definitely want to make sure it was the right setting before embarking on something like this.

#88 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

Post-apocalyptic never appealed to me, the only wide spread post disaster stuff that I found thrilling (Mad Max excluded) were the non-nuclear stuff involving zombies or, my all time favourite Triffids!

He doesn't really do settings where there isn't much magic

What about a character with psychic powers would that be magical enough for him?

#89 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

I guess it would at that. Psionics is generally just the magic replacement in a Space Opera setting.

I'm not a big fan of post-apocalyptic either, but it could work out quite well in a non-nuclear setting. Though I could have used nuclear as a reason for a post apocalyptic ice-age setting I thought about once.

#90 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

There have been a number of post Fantasy-Appocalypse settings as well. Dark Sun, Eberron, WarHammer Fantasy (If you go back to the Slann)

#91 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

I liked Warhammer a lot. The Slann as the chosen of a bunch of star-faring greater beings, leaving them as custodians of the world.

Dark Sun was my favourite alternat setting for AD&D. There was so much that was weird and wonderful. Psionic cannibal halflings, Thri-kreen insect men, Half-Giants with stupid strengths and just plain stupidity. Plenty of detail you could use to make the party suffer from the effects of the environment if you wanted to make them work for their achievements.
Still it is nevertheless a good example of a world going to ruin.

#92 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Throw in some wild magic areas and they can be a good substitute for radiation. Everything from bizare effects, mutations and who knows what all.

#93 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

Have any of you ever read the Fred Saberhagen's Swords series it is an interesting take on Fantasy in a post-apocalyptic Earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge