• Create Account
Photo

A New Idea!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: What genre shall we have a stab at? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

What genre shall we have a stab at?

1. Fantasy (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. Sci-Fi (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Post Apocalyptic (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Horror (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Dark Future (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Supers (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

7. Pulp (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Historic (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Generic (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Steampunk (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

Please to always be calling it research!

Nickoli Ivanovich Lobachevsky (spl?) was also a BAD MAN! ;)

#22 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

The 3rd edition of Traveller (Traveller: A new era) was posta appopolyptic on a galactic scale. Most characters where doing salvage and reclamation, trying to bring fallen worlds back into the fold of civilization (And strip any resources teh civilized worlds could use.

Hmmm, anybody remember the saturday morning live action show Ark II?

OK, this is for the "older" members out there :P. Anyone remember "The Fantastic Journey" from the 70s? It was people who fell through the bermuda triangle if I remember correctly, including a guy from the future who blasted people with a tuning fork or something like that. I seem to remember that alot of the worlds were aware of the triangle and it was the result of some war/experiment in the far future (probably involving time travel).

I'm sure it would be terrible to watch now, but I remember thinking it was wonderful (I also liked the Bionic Man though).

From what I remember, there wasn't any magic, but some of the tech was so advanced it may have been. (this may be a good compromise for us fantasy die hards, also see Dr. Who and the Daemons).

Another one to add to the melting pot...

#23 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:15 AM

OK, this is for the "older" members out there :P. Anyone remember "The Fantastic Journey" from the 70s? It was people who fell through the bermuda triangle if I remember correctly, including a guy from the future who blasted people with a tuning fork or something like that. I seem to remember that alot of the worlds were aware of the triangle and it was the result of some war/experiment in the far future (probably involving time travel).

That sounds familiar

From what I remember, there wasn't any magic, but some of the tech was so advanced it may have been. (this may be a good compromise for us fantasy die hards, also see Dr. Who and the Daemons).

I read a book not to long ago, can't quite remember the title and it wasn't great, but had some interesting ideas. Basically aliens had for unknown reasons quarantined earth and then released nanites. The nanites would basically infest everything and as children where born with nanites in their brains some of them would develop abilities that appeared magical. The nanites in the brain would talk to the nanites in the air or the wood of a chair and cause it to move or burst into flame, etc. So science fell down as people appeared to be able to do magic, aliens that had been on the earth at the time it was quarantined where thought to be demons and such.

#24 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:40 AM

That sounds familiar

I read a book not to long ago, can't quite remember the title and it wasn't great, but had some interesting ideas. Basically aliens had for unknown reasons quarantined earth and then released nanites. The nanites would basically infest everything and as children where born with nanites in their brains some of them would develop abilities that appeared magical. The nanites in the brain would talk to the nanites in the air or the wood of a chair and cause it to move or burst into flame, etc. So science fell down as people appeared to be able to do magic, aliens that had been on the earth at the time it was quarantined where thought to be demons and such.

Sounds a little like a Dr. Who New Adventure where there was a world computer and the nanites allowed a DNI type access to it. Not a brilliant book but again a good way to involve magic.

#25 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

Sounds a little like a Dr. Who New Adventure where there was a world computer and the nanites allowed a DNI type access to it. Not a brilliant book but again a good way to involve magic.

Then again, Shadowrun could easily have gone post apocalyptic. If the unreast from the UGE had gone a bit harder and the great ghost dance was bigger there could have been an even bigger colapse.

#26 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

Then again, Shadowrun could easily have gone post apocalyptic. If the unreast from the UGE had gone a bit harder and the great ghost dance was bigger there could have been an even bigger colapse.

I think I'm quite sad in that I like the Shadowrun setting alot! And I actually like the fact that it's not as dark as say Cyberpunk was. But yes, any of the initial events could easily have made everything go post apocalyptic. My theory is that the elder elves and great dragons didn't want that to happen, so it didn't. If they all can agree on something, I think they are pretty much omnipotent. But that doesn't seem to happen very often... :)

#27 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

Well, looks like it's going the way of post-apoc. I guess we need to figure out if the setting is immediately after the "great event" or generations later when varying socieites have reformed. If we just gotta have a traditional fantasy element in there, we could be "inspired" by Romero's Knightriders and have a small group of Renn Fest performers and LARPers who survived and structured their new way of life around the middle ages, albeit with motorcycles instead of horses and that type of thing. Just another idea for the early stages.

#28 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

I never thought Post Apocalyptic would be the one that was chosen :D Looking at the evidence of previous post apocalyse games there is very little to go on that is any good :D

Best list some RPGs that are post apolcalytic and see what folks think of the:

The End
Rifts
Twilight 2000
Gamma World
After The Bomb
Talislanta
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
GURPS Y2K
Tank Girl RPG (Actually Under Masterbook)
Deadlands
Athas
Darwin's World
Aftermath
From RPGnet there was this article on Post Apolcalyptic Genre

Now it would seem that most of those titles are rather out there in the popularity stakes so we will have to make something cool and good :P

Hal :hal:

#29 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

Guess what i voted for?

#30 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

There have also been a few attempts at medieval post apocalyptic/cataclysmic settings.

Eberon is after a great collapse and Earthdawn was also in a way.

#31 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

I think from a setting point of view the most important decision to make with regards to Post Apocalypse is what the actual event was. It will pretty much colour everything else from that point forward.

Also the world prior to the apocalypse will colour where you end up. It is all dependant on what happened to who I suppose.

With regards to Lindsay's vote it was Post Apocalypse. She very much like PA settings especially ones where horrid diseases kill everyone in sight.

She will be most useful in the days ahead :P

Hal :hal:

#32 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

I like the idea of a disease based Apocalyptic event. You have a lot more options then going Nuclear, plus diseases can be much scarier since they can be very hard to detect.

I've always liked the idea of Aliens/Others using a disease(s) based attack to pacify/teraform earth. You can achieve most of any Post Apocalyptic setting with this concept as some people or animals could be transformed into warriors and mutant beasties, others just starting to go mad and bleed from the eyes.

#33 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

I think we need another poll for the cause of the apocalypse, how ever my vote is for disease. But some possibilities are Disease, Nuclear War, Oil supplies run out(al ah Mad Max), computers gain self awareness (al ah Terminator), Space Crash (Asteriod, Etc) thats all I can think of but if any one else can think of some please add them.

#34 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

The thing I like about the "disease" scenario is that it doesn't necessarily have to be worldwide, especially if it's not airborne. The enemy, if there is one, may not have the resources to take out the whole world at once, just some of the larger population centers .

That could easily leave large safe zones that can still produce goods and maintain technology which need protecting from the slowly expanding menace. The quarantined areas would have trapped survivors. And, of course, some people inside the bad areas might be perectly happy with the new situation and work on the side of the problem.

(Or better yet, we could take a cue from Halloween III and have everybody on MySpace exposed to weird Druidic computer pulses that turn them into even more dangerous genetic misfits. :twisted: )

#35 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

I did a bit of a shrot story long ago, afte rreading about some of the genetically engineered microbes that are built to eat oil. Basic idea is either in a lab mixup or mutation an airborn virus pics up these traights. Not only does it get the oil supply but all the petroleum derived plastics, etc. Things break down pretty fast after all the insulators in machinery crumble away.

#36 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:09 PM

You start breaking down artificial seals, plastic bonding inside peoples' implants, artificial stents, pacemakers and stopgaps, you're going to poison and/or kill a vast number of the population over 60. Pretty scary, that.

Also, the pr0n industry is going to lose a great majority of their "best" actresses "figures"

#37 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:26 AM

Don't forget about the Morrow Project rpg as well.

There is a book, I want to say the title is "Sphere" but I'm sure it isn't, where the characters all live in an experimental supersub/underwater arcology. It's in the process of becoming fully operational when someone starts a war using tailored biologicals. These mutate and wipe out all humans, then mutate and wipe out all mammals then mutate...

It's a pretty good book as far as I remember, with AIs with biological parts (which also get infected).

I quite like the idea that there is a war (how about over dwindling oil reserves), some biologicals and nukes get thrown around (not enough for permanent Nuclear Winter though), which could easily cause worldwide devestation.

Whether or not that gets used, there are a couple of questions we need to answer:

1. Is it Earth that is the base setting?
2. How far in the future (or past I guess - look at Kim Stanley Robinsons The Years of Rice and Salt) did the event happen?
3. How far from then is it now?

My answers to the above are:
1. Yes
2. I'd like it to happen about 2025-2040 or so, So say about 20-40 years.
3. About 5-10 years.

Ah well, better get back to data migration scripts...

#38 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

Oh well, if i ever get this dissertation finished, i shall write a nice little PA scenario, as i have had a few ideas.... :D

#39 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

Oh well, if i ever get this dissertation finished, i shall write a nice little PA scenario, as i have had a few ideas.... :D

Excellent. I look forward to it.

#40 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

I like disease, ala "The Stand" by Mr King, although i think most PA ideas, if well thought out, are good...i genuinly love this kind of thing, i used to watch "The Tribe" when i was a kid, and for the Uk people "The Last Train" is one of my fave short series'. A group of people are in a train in a tunnel when an asteroid hits the earth. One of the people is secretly carrying a vial of something which cryogenically freezes them for 80 odd years, then they wake up to a changed world. If works especially well as its very normal people, not all likeable, and its based in a very industiral area of the Uk.

http://www.tv.com/la...00/summary.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge