• Create Account
Photo

A New Idea!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: What genre shall we have a stab at? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

What genre shall we have a stab at?

1. Fantasy (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. Sci-Fi (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Post Apocalyptic (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Horror (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Dark Future (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Supers (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

7. Pulp (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Historic (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Generic (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Steampunk (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

Hey there,

I was thinking of a way to focus all your lovely creative juices and I thought it might be nice to try our hand at designing a new rpg (system and setting) through the forums. All memebers are invited to contribute and we will see what we end up with. If it is any good I will put it together and release it as a PDF.

Contributions can be anything from suggestions about the system or setting, comments that develop the idea or picture and short prose for the setting.

We will be using the polls system to make decisions as we go and we will be trying to make something cool and useable. If we can get it off the ground then I can playtest it on audio and we can all see how it works out :D

Anyway, let me know what you think of the idea and if you think it is worth doing :D If so we will need to decide what genre of game we are going to have a stab at and then away we go :D

Hal :hal:

#2 N-kun

N-kun

Stirge

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationBradford UK

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

nice idea Hal,

anyone got any ideas where to start??

how about a list of possible rpg genres:

Fantasy (DnD, Rolemaster)
Sci Fi (Star Wars, Star Trek)
Post-Apocalyptic (Twilight 2000, Tribe 8)
Horror (Call of Cthulhu, World of Darkness, Unknown Armies)
Steampunk (Victoriana, Deadlands)
Dark Future (Shadowrun, Cyberpunk)
Supers (Godlike, Champions, Silver Age Sentinals)
Pulp (Adventure!, Dark Continent)

These have all been done before.. anyone think of a genre that is viable for a RPG and hasnt been done?

#3 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

Cool idea I am all for it.

#4 artemiswolfang

artemiswolfang

Goblin

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

Personally I am in favor of a fantasy type, a horror type, or a dark future type. What exactly is a steampunk type? Is it Victorian futuristic?

#5 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

Personally I am in favor of a fantasy type, a horror type, or a dark future type. What exactly is a steampunk type? Is it Victorian futuristic?

Pretty much, high tech victorian. Steam driven machinary, babbage engines, etc. Cyperpunk virctoriana.

#6 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

Great idea Hal.

I will try and restrain my inner 5 year old that likes to smash things, although that makes me good at playtesting (And breaking campaigns)

#7 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

I'm in. I lean towards fantasy and horror, but anything works. (Going light on the furry and hentai would be preferable though 8O ) Or we could try some road less travelled if there's any left, something oddball like 50's B-Movie Sci-Fi (Theeem!!!) or Primetime Soap Opera (Seduction Check DC 15). Sounds fun.

#8 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:19 AM

50s Sci-Fi sounds like fun sort of like Mars Attacks. Very Cool

#9 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:28 AM

All crackingly good ideas. I will be happy to contribute all but seed ideas. :) All my seed ideas go currently into novels. If anyone wonders WHY I write so much, and so often, that is because my hobby is - aside from gymnastics and weightlifting - writing! :)

So any developmental writing based upon set ideas - I am more than happy to do!

#10 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:42 AM

Yup, I'm up for it (oh, er! :P ).

Happy with any genre, though I quite like combining those that don't often get mixed (e.g. Serenity/Firefly (Western/Space), DeadLands(Western/Fantasy)).

Has anyone read the Borderlands series of books (edited by Terri Windling and Mark Alan Arnold)? Nuclear War partially pierces the Veil between Faire and mortal lands, and Bordertown sits on the junction of the two worlds. I've always meant to create a campaign based on this setting (slight near future/fantasy/film noir).

Anyway, my 2p's worths to start with...

#11 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

My person preference falls to either proper horror (ie Kult type stuff) or post apocalypse. I do not think that post apocalypse has been given a fair run in the gamin environment. The only decent one I can think of is The End (which is a sort of biblical inspired modern end of the world post apolcalypse sytle thing) but they went and ruined it by making the new release d20 (sigh).

The background is very well done (although PA is a little bit bleak to play I suppose). Difficult to want to get to the next level or whatever when everything you gave a toss about is dead and gone :D

I do like fantasy, although I think it is a little bit oversubscribed in the industry :D On the sci-fi front I think the Night's Dawn Trilogy would make a superb setting for any futuristic game (especially as I like the who organic technology aspect of things (I prefer SLA to Cyberpunk :P ))

Anyway, glad you lot are all on board :D Though it might be a good idea, even if it just ends up as a thread full of setting and system ideas :D

Should I post a poll on here for a genre?

I guess I should :D

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:13 AM

OK! I have used Neil's handy list of genre to make a poll at the top of the forum which will run for 5 days before it ends :P

Stick a vote in it and we will see where we end up :D

#13 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

Anything Fallout-esque would be FANTASTIC. I can see it really meshing well with your own sense of humour, Hal... so I hope you do a bit of the "personality" bits on anything post-apocalyptic.

My feel for post-Apocalyptic games were only that they were too region-centric. They tended to always be in the US - and always a specific geographical area. I had always wondered at the wonderful little details one could develop having some kind of globe-trotting PA game. I know travel is quite difficult in a nuclear wasteland, so that would be a challenge. Also, the lure of a world in which there weren't just desert wastelands to be found is tempting. After all, not all of the world could have been nuked, but certainly all of it could have been dramatically affected.

#14 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

4 votes so far, 4 different categories!

To be honest, other than Historic, I'd be interested in any of them, or variations on several.

And I also love Peter Hamilton's books. All 3? series he's done to date would work well as a rpg background.

:edited cos I'm too honest! :P :

#15 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:51 AM

I'll bite for a Post-Apocalyptic scenario, because it can encapsulate some of the other genres easily with individual "modules".

It doesn't necessarily have to be nuclear. Some mutating disease or broken inter-dimensional barrier could easily leave plenty of people alive and able to go country-hopping looking for answers or shelter. (I was always fond of that old Stephen King story "The Mist".)

Or we could just do Thundarr the Barbarian. :twisted:

#16 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

Athas was a fantastic world, indeed. Nuclear is just so often such an effective way to end the world because it can account for so much change to an existing tableau. You have the environmental, as well as severe mutations, and pure desperation as caused by such a changed world. You just don't have those fun "freaks of nature" with climate change. :P

But I'm sure a creative individual person can come up with something.

#17 artemiswolfang

artemiswolfang

Goblin

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Has anyone read the Virtual War series by Gloria Skurzynski? Especially the first book. It's a very good post-apocalyptic setting... sounds like something good for a jumping-off point. Though I'd like to see some fantasy mixed in, just a bit. Maybe some animal/human hybrids, especially of the wolfen variety... but perhaps that's just my personal bias. :D

#18 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:25 AM

Ohhhhh! Te poll is heading in a direction I never expected :P

Whatever we do should be an original idea (although there is nothing wrong with pulling 'inspiration' from other sources). As an archaologist I am happily experienced in the art of constructive covert plagarism :P

#19 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:31 AM

As an archaologist I am happily experienced in the art of constructive covert plagarism :P

Please to always be calling it research!

#20 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

The 3rd edition of Traveller (Traveller: A new era) was posta appopolyptic on a galactic scale. Most characters where doing salvage and reclamation, trying to bring fallen worlds back into the fold of civilization (And strip any resources teh civilized worlds could use.

Hmmm, anybody remember the saturday morning live action show Ark II?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge