20 replies to this topic

#1 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

I thought I would mention this extra series of D&D gaming sessions I found while browsing around, just for interest.

http://www.primordia... ... neSessions

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

I listened to some of it and it is deffinently not RPGMP3. The quality is poor and I think they forget they are recording them selves and there are long periods of silence and then a monster will be dead.

#3 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

I listened to some of it and it is deffinently not RPGMP3. The quality is poor and I think they forget they are recording them selves and there are long periods of silence and then a monster will be dead.

I was trying to figure out if that was editing, or if they had people playing remotely over skype and the connection fading, but I think they just have the one mike and where forgetting about it. I found the background music in the 1st recording distracting. Wasn't sure if it was in the background while playing or it they tried to add it for effect, but I would guess the 1st since if they where bothering to edit there was a lot of other stuff that should have been fixed.

1st episode smells of ass, but I might listen to more. Its only my time and sanity.

#4 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:33 AM

The sad, unfortunate truth is nothing is even close to being as good as RPGMP3. This is not AWFUL, but there are just SO FEW out there - and we've been terribly spoiled by the quality here and in the Masks campaign.

I've tried World of Skell, Azzuria, Kim's Campaign and Factions of Auronia... every one of them had some awful deficiency that killed me after the first session.

I figured I would just throw it out there as an informational message, as people sometimes seemed to enjoy alternative campaigns.

#5 Cob37

Cob37

Ghoul

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouse Springs, Missouri, U.S.A.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:06 AM

People are still downloading my World of Skell game, more than ever in fact, so I guess somebody out there likes it.

#6 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:18 AM

People are still downloading my World of Skell game, more than ever in fact, so I guess somebody out there likes it.

I like the setup on the world of skell and your use of Norse mythology. You play a bit more hard core then I, but it is interesting.

For some reason everybodies voices/accents keeps making me picture the characters in my head as cattle drovers more then anything else, but that is my problem.

#7 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:36 AM

I like World of Skell, and you've got to admire a world that's been going over 20 years!

Paul

#8 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:49 AM

I like World of Skell, and you've got to admire a world that's been going over 20 years!

Paul

Damn fine age for a campaign world.

For a real world, it wouldn't even be a baby though.

#9 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, well, I never said you didn't appeal to someone but your games just don't appeal to ME. I'm sure some people out there like it, as it's getting downloads - but (and I'm sorry if I personally offend you), but I was saying there really aren't any other gaming groups I've found out there that even come close to RPGMP3. Still, that's only because Hal's, Fin's and Steve's games are just so -good- they really stand out. It's not putting you down, personally, or singling you out.

It's just my preference. I only mentioned Azzuria, as it hadn't gotten any play here. I thought people here might find it interesting to hear something else that might happen to appeal to them personally, even if it didn't to me.

#10 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:54 AM

I think all the other roll play audio sites really point out how well the RPGMP3 crew is. There is some good stuff in a lot of the other audio, but for intelligable recording, role play and general fun RPGMP3 tops my list. The Yoggies Masks campaign is up there too.

But after all the stuff I have listened to, these are the only ones that really make me want to be able to play with the folks recording.

#11 Cob37

Cob37

Ghoul

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouse Springs, Missouri, U.S.A.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:56 AM

It's cool Shathis, it's a big world and you didn't offend me, in fact I find differing opinions more interesting than everyone having the same.

Perhaps what I said sounded worse than what I meant.

Hey Paul, you're welcome to jam in Skell any day! Maybe I need to Skype it one day?

#12 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

My problem with Azzuria, at least what I've listened to on the first session, is that the various sound elements are too disjointed and distracting. The music is way up front and the microphone(s) seem set to cut on only when someone speaks. (Or it's weird post-editing.) That's no biggie if it's just for your own archival purposes, but it's different if this is meant for mass consumption.

Ears and microphones don't work the same. What sounds right in a room doesn't always translate well to a recording. If you want to record all these different sound elements during the actual game, then bite the bullet, go to radio shack, buy a cheap mixer, and run a practice session or two before the real recording.

Sorry to get all talkative and officious sounding, but I have to put my studio engineering degree to use at least once a year. :roll:

#13 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

I'm not trying to put you out, Eegah, but I have absolutely nothing to do with Azzuria and I'm pretty sure the guy who made it has never been on this forum. :) I only found it while searching around.

#14 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

Hey Paul, you're welcome to jam in Skell any day! Maybe I need to Skype it one day?

That would be excellent! Funnily enough we're looking into doing a Call of Cthulhu one-off Skype-in in the nearish future as well.

Sorry to get all talkative and officious sounding, but I have to put my studio engineering degree to use at least once a year. :roll:

Wow. Well, you'll appreciate how relatively crude all our own recordings are. :) We've been trying to think of ingenious & unobtrusive ways to improve them, but it can cost $$$.

#15 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

I'm not trying to put you out, Eegah, but I have absolutely nothing to do with Azzuria and I'm pretty sure the guy who made it has never been on this forum. :) I only found it while searching around.

Oh I know. I'm just not the smartest guy on the boards, so I like to throw out a few words when I actually know something about a topic. Get another thread going on Asian cultures or Geo-politics or software coding and I'll humbly fade to the background. :D

And I was just nit-picking their audio itself. I haven't listened to enough to comment on the gameplay, although it's hard to beat the RPGMP3 crowd on that front. (I am one of the Skell groupies, though, so my compliments to Cob37, his players, and the Queen of the Universe who puts up with them.)

#16 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:08 AM

I dunno, Paul... I think your audios are terribly good already. You've already updated them to 48kbps, but I had a question: why did you change them to MP3 regular files? If you maintained the mp3pro standard, you'd have identically sized files, and for those people with MP3pro players, they could listen to the higher quality - but those without mp3pro players could still hear in 48kbps regular quality.

#17 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:20 AM

Oh I know. I'm just not the smartest guy on the boards, so I like to throw out a few words when I actually know something about a topic. Get another thread going on Asian cultures or Geo-politics or software coding and I'll humbly fade to the background. :D

D'oh. I need to stop talking. People keep taking what I say personally. I just wanted to disconnect myself from Azzuria. I didn't want people to get the notion in their heads that this was MY stuff for public consumption.

As for the audio problems... I think that may be that they are doing it over Skype. Can't say for sure.

Me? Software coding? the hell you say! :P Ask Thing. I know nothing. But I can tell you "stories of battles of old" (-Feylin)

#18 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

I dunno, Paul... I think your audios are terribly good already. You've already updated them to 48kbps, but I had a question: why did you change them to MP3 regular files? If you maintained the mp3pro standard, you'd have identically sized files, and for those people with MP3pro players, they could listen to the higher quality - but those without mp3pro players could still hear in 48kbps regular quality.

Thanks. The borrowed pro-equipment, the improved audio processing and the 50% increase in bit-rate meant that the new files (session #12-current) should sound a lot better than even the old MP3pro files, and since so few we're utilising the MP3pro facility it seemed simple to just go straight MP3. I personally couldn't hear any advantage in audio quality when using MP3pro with the new set-up.

The recently implemented audio processing (compression) techniques mean that loud people (like me) aren't as loud and quieter people (like Helen & Claire) can be more easily heard. With the new equipment (which is due for return :() we also no longer have digital blow-outs from the shouting and the screaming and the cries of... anyway, we can record at lower levels without topping out at 0dB and bring up the audio levels again in post production.

#19 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

I kind of saw the extra Mp3pro quality as kind of a "bonus" for those who had the player. :)

But I'm not complaining. Quite, quite enjoying all the new audio and content! :D

#20 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:35 AM

Wow. Well, you'll appreciate how relatively crude all our own recordings are. :) We've been trying to think of ingenious & unobtrusive ways to improve them, but it can cost $$$.

I think the sound quality is excellent as of late and I really appreciate the effort. It was never terrible to begin with and to be honest, it's so entertaining I'd probably listen to it through a can attached to strings. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge