• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RPGMP3 Newsbot

RPGMP3 Newsbot

Full Of Awesome

• Inner Circle
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

The math behind D&D Next is the focus of Mike’s article this week. Find out where things are now and learn about what the team plans to tackle in the more immediate future.

View the full article

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

Fin once described high-level D&D characters as "blood bags", bloated behemoths trembling with pent-up fluids that come gushing out in great gouts of HP loss when they're struck, without suffering any ill effects from their bleeding.

Sounds like D&D Next is going to be Blood Bags 2.0: Bigger, Fatter, More Rhesus Positive.

"We want to focus on growing hit points, rather than attack or saving throw bonuses (or DCs), as the way we reflect growing character power[...] Since AC, attack, and saving throw numbers don't grow too much, low-level monsters can still hit and damage you (though for a smaller portion of your hit points) as you reach higher levels."

#3 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Nothing says fun like combat that runs for 30 rounds.

#4 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

Sounds like they have successfully identified the wrong direction to go in and are now running down that path as fast as they can. 

I tried 4e for a couple months and didn't find it fun.  Even though I'm reading the hype from a gave dev, I've already got the feeling that the game he's hyping will be even less fun than the preceding generation.  That doesn't bode well for the franchise.

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Sounds like they have successfully identified the wrong direction to go in and are now running down that path as fast as they can. 

I tried 4e for a couple months and didn't find it fun.  Even though I'm reading the hype from a gave dev, I've already got the feeling that the game he's hyping will be even less fun than the preceding generation.  That doesn't bode well for the franchise.

tumblr_m5buc2jMzU1qepf8yo1_r1_500.gif

#6 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

For as much as people complain about high level 3.5 and pathfinder being rocket tag, combat that drags on for a long time will get boring, complex and time consuming. It's especially boring if you don't have a variety of things to do, how exciting is it to roll a full attack routine against the same HP bloated target for 15 rounds. If this is the direction they're heading...yeah, Eformo sums up my thoughts.

Edit: Also I'm disappointed that this thread did not foretell an Adventure Time RPG or board game or something. I feel lied to.

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Concerns all round for DnD Next I guess. I will likely pick it up and give it a test drive but what I have been reading is a little concerning. They are trying to make it acceptable to too broad a category of gamers. With 4e essentially being a tabletop MMO they have all those elements on top of more traditional gaming elements.

I think this might be the last chance they get to figure it out and get it right before Hasbro buries it forever. It is sad but if they keep releasing clunkers like 4e it is just going to damage the hobby.

I think they are going to have a very hard time doing better that Pathfinder to be honest...

Hal :hal:

#8 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Agreed.  Trying to keep the D&D feel, and make enough changes to appeal to the fans and still differentiate themselves from pathfinder by more than campaign setting is a tall order.

#9 vhesper

vhesper

No Relation

• Patrons
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Doesn't help that they have pretty much nix'ed any development on 4e/essentials and doing nothing but D&D Next. That will be hard to come back from, as now people are forced to look for other systems if they like playing with the newest thing. 

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

rollplaying+for+roleplaying.jpg

#11 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

Nice pic there Monkey. I have to say it pretty much sums up how I feel about 4e :)

#12 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Bearing in mind we're finding Pathfinder is getting bogged down and tedious, I'm not holding my breath for ND&D. :(

#13 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am going to have to give you guys a listen and see what is going on with Pathfinder for you. I don't find it too tedious. I mean if you have a Horde Summoner or something it could get bad but as long as everyone has an idea of their role, tactics and abilities I find it goes pretty quickly. Not as fast as some systems but certainly no worse than average...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wotc dnd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge