Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hey folks,

You may have noticed that the Like button on the posts has changed into a pair of arrows. We have activated the full karma system so you can now dislike posts as well as like them. It will also show a count of the current level of appreciation or hatred for each post :)

The sum total is displayed on you profiles. I doubt the dislike button will get a lot of use but I thought it was a good feature for maintaining post quality :P

Cheers

Hal :hal:

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

The sum total is displayed on you profiles. I doubt the dislike button will get a lot of use but I thought it was a good feature for maintaining post quality :P

*Clicks dislike button*

quantity_over_quality.jpeg

#3 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

... maintaining post quality...

Oh, I'm absolutely certain that we can maintain the level of the forums, with or without encouragement  :D

#4 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Oh, I'm absolutely certain that we can maintain the level of the forums, with or without encouragement  :D

That would be just slightly about the same as the gutter? :P

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

That would be just slightly about the same as the gutter? :P

Gutter? I think you're aiming a little high!

#6 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Gutter? I think you're aiming a little high!

We are all in the gutter, Mr Brass, but some of us are looking at the... ooh, is that a free burger?

#7 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

... ooh, is that a free burger?

Hey, that's my favourite Lynyrd Skynyrd song!  :)

#8 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well, there goes my enormous karma pool. Soon, once the magic finishes wearing off and you realize what an insufferable jerk I am, I fully expect to be the first guy on the forums in the red. Thanks a lot, HAL! ;)

It's a good idea, though, and one I seriously wish more forums had. Being able to tell at the scroll of a mouse the kind of poster you're looking at if you're not familiar with them could be quite useful. :)

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'm just waiting for the first troll :P

#10 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Being able to tell at the scroll of a mouse the kind of poster you're looking at if you're not familiar with them could be quite useful. :)

Though in the case of this forum it might be we're all TOO familiar.

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm just waiting for the first troll :P

tumblr_m4ak98ikUY1qhsbc4o1_500.gif

#12 Vornrapon423

Vornrapon423

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

So good

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:58 AM

Umm... @Hal and @Thing and any other admins? Did you guys deliberately switch on the 'site gold piece' function and forget to notify people? There are little green cash bars at the bottom of each post, now, right next to the Karma thingamajiggers. Can they be used for anything, or are they just window dressing?

#14 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

You can nearly afford that pallet of Marvellous Pigments now, PM.

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

You can nearly afford that pallet of Marvellous Pigments now, PM.

A palette, possibly. Probaly not an entire pallet. ;)

pallet2.gif

#16 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

So now we can have the money post

#17 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

We are working on a new enhancement for the site and this is part of that :) I need to change that cash graphic to a gold piece :)

I am hoping it might encourage participation in the forums. I see Monkey is very much the leader with regard cash so we best watch out when I turn the rest of this thing on as it will allow you to spend these gold pieces and things and stuff for your profile as well as eldritch powers that can affect the forums in various snazzy ways :)

Just have to finish all the back end stuff and it will be live.

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Do we get to buy magic items? :D We could have little paper doll figures, like they use in Baldur's Gate, and Diablo, and... pretty much every other computer RPG, really. Or maybe just a special area in the space on the left side of each post, where your avatar and personal information appears, where we could equip all the shinies and loot we acquire for this precious, precious imaginary moolah.

Also, how are the gold pieces values calculated? It looks like each post nets you 1 GP, but the current totals aren't directly linked to the account's total number of posts. Is there some complex math going on, getting more gold when your posts get +1 Karma and losing gold when they get -1 Karma? Or something else entirely? Do contributors get gold for uploading audio?

#19 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

Yes - there are magic items. They will let you do things to the forums that you currently cannot do.

Paper dolls will be a challenge but it was in the original scope of the site design we did. More likely at this point we will use the space under your avatar, as you mentioned, to allow you to display your loot.

With regards earning gold, there are several factors affecting this. Mostly it is to do with posting in the forums. Different forums will award a different amount of points. Also you get points for start points, replying to posts and also in some cases you can get points for starting a post that others reply to.

In addition it is tied into the Karma system so positive karma will give you gold and negative karma will take it away.

Also, if you are a Patron you generate twice the gold as everyone else for every action :)

I'll give you a full run down when everything is in place and I am turning it loose.

What do you think?

#20 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Why do Admins have a GP count? Aren't you already gods, or at least GMs (i.e. gods)? You can change the site, willy-nilly, with your mighty admins powers of mightiness, so why would you need GPs? Or is it just in case one of the admins get demoted, they've still got some GPs to fall back on? Or is it just too much of a hassle to put in extra code for something that is, essentially, a non-problem? ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feature, new, karma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge