• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Mind Tool

The Mind Tool

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi, I am The Mind Tool, and I've been listening to the site's podcasts for a good couple of months now and relatively recently started DM-ing DnD 4th Edition.

I'm not a very experienced tabletop gamer, but am eager to learn and experience new things. In fact I'm so eager that, with little knowledge beyond a few sessions of actually playing a pen-and-paper rpg and listening to this site's podcasts, I jumped right in and am now trying to run my first campaign with a group entirely composed of new players (as none of my friends have really played tabletop games outside of board games before). I'd like to try new systems at some point, but am a university student (and therefore always short on money). My focus with roleplaying games is on the storytelling aspects, but I'm not afraid to get stuck in with the mechanical details and enjoy running interesting encounters.

From the podcast, I mostly listen to the Pantsless Gamers and Hal's roleplaying group, but I'm mostly just catching up with the stuff I recognise.

I hope I can get some good tips for my campaigns and contribute to some interesting discussions, but I'm very likely to spend a lot of time lurking.

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hello there,

Nice of you to pop up and say hello :)

If you are an inexperienced GM and have any questions please feel free to ask on the forums and myself and the lovely folks around here will be always happy to help you out.

Hal :hal:

#3 The Mind Tool

The Mind Tool

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks, I'll probably end up taking you guys up on that offer.

I'm thinking maybe I'd use the blogging function of the site to share my experiences as I learn, and maybe get advice from those more experienced than me. It also might make for some entertaining reading and it would help me think more about my campaign.

You know what? I might just start writing the first post now.

Thanks again :)

#4 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hello and welcome! Can't wait to read your blog. :)

#5 The Mind Tool

The Mind Tool

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

The first post is up. It's a little disorganised and I still have more to go into about past sessions, but I'm more interested in hearing advice, feedback and what people are interested in hearing more about. It'll probably be the closest thing to an audio contribution I can make for a long time, but I'm happy with it for now. I've always been something of a writer.

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

Welcome to the site, sir. :-)

#7 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

In fact I'm so eager that, with little knowledge beyond a few sessions of actually playing a pen-and-paper rpg and listening to this site's podcasts, I jumped right in and am now trying to run my first campaign

Ah, a story very similar to my own heart. I barely played a handful of sessions before I took on the reigns on a GM myself, haven't looked back.

May I wish you a hearty welcome to the website, and congrats to starting a group of your own. I look forward to reading through your blog, a very good idea to document a newbie GM and newbie player's first experiences. I also hope to be able to provide any advice if you are in search of it. Welcome to the Hobby.

As a fellow poor university student, it is worth mentioning that there are a surprising amount of systems these days that are available online for free if you ever wish to broaden your system horizon.

#8 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Welcome! You have just told the story of my gaming career as well, although you left out the part where it was a passive aggressive decision because all my friends who had played before kept promising to run things and then never ever did.

Let me know how your mileage with 4e goes. I really do like a lot about the system but there were elements that just turned me off and sent me looking for different pastures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge