Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hey folks,

So we have been live with the new site for a few days now and it seems a good time to bring up questions about the forum structure.

We went from a very large and sprawling forum to a pretty small one with a large and sprawling read-only Archive section. The intention when moving things and setting up over here was to have the forums be lean and to try to resist sprawl.

That being said, there is always room for additional necessary forum areas. So I wanted to open the discussion up and ask if anyone has any additional areas they think the forum needs.

Also, be aware that we have a nice tagging system for posts that will allow us to differentiate between different related topics in a forum.

OK! Discuss...

Hal :hal:

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

You'll know what I'm about to say, as I've mentioned it privately  :D

I don't think that the current "front page" of the forums should have much extra sprawl. It's a nice spread, easy to see the different areas. What I am noticing a lack of is a general area for posts under each group. For instance, click on the Whartson Hall game recordings and it opens up to about nineteen sub-forums, which is very nice... but there's nowhere to post bios of the group members, or ask general questions, or put up things relating to the group but not to any particular game. It would be nice to have one extra sub-forum for that purpose, since at the moment we can only chat on the sub-forum for specific recordings.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I see where you are going - like a Group Particulars forum or some such? You are wittier than I so I am certain you can beat that suggestion.

That seems reasonable - whatcha all think?

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Something like that. It just needs to sit in the AP forum for the group, so it wouldn't clutter up the front page, alongside all of the AP sub-forums. Any old title would do as long as it doesn't sound like a game  :D

EDITED TO ADD:

"Also, be aware that we have a nice tagging system for posts that will allow us to differentiate between different related topics in a forum."

I'll be honest, I have no idea what this is.

#5 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Just curious, would it be better to have one individual group discussion thread for each group, or just one forum for all miscellaneous group talk to occur in?

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well, if we had one group for everyone that wouldn't solve the problem of having somewhere to put "sticky" info about each group. In a way the general roleplaying forum could already work for all groups, but it doesn't let a group interact very well with their own audience. It would also mean that groups would have to read through the whole forum to see if anything related to them, not easy if traffic starts to pick up.

#7 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Keeping in mind that I've only looked at the new site from my phone, so it's possible that what I'm suggesting exists, but I just haven't seen it.
I agree with BJB. But I'd go further and name it something so it was always sorted to the top of the list inside the group section.
Also, a sticky post that listed each game for a group would be very useful. Game name, approximate dates, system (so you know where to look for the files), players, total number of sessions.

#8 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I like the idea of the game roster :)

The forums do not sort automatically - I made them alphabetical for easy but a general area for each group would certainly be at the top.

Glad you are getting some use out of the site on a phone. Hopefully it is working out well for you :)

#9 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

One thing I miss (possibly you can do this, but I can't see where) is that you can't click on "new posts" and see everything that's new since you last logged on.

#10 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Though I'm intrigued with warning points. I presume this replaces Hal or Lindsay PMing me and telling me not to be a knob... :P

#11 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

One thing I miss (possibly you can do this, but I can't see where) is that you can't click on "new posts" and see everything that's new since you last logged on.

looking from my phone this exists, and is called 'new content'.

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

For this, you just need to click on the 'View New Content' tab in the upper right corner. It is context sensitive so if you click it from the Forums you will get posts, if you click it from Downloads you will get files :)

#13 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Found it!

Happy Now... :)

#14 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

I agree with what has been said before regarding having an area to interact between contributors and listeners. 

The group chat is great!

I think I may be in the minority, and I didn't expect it at all... but I miss the old colour scheme :unsure2:

#15 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

I miss the old colours and such a bit too. The new site is very clean and easy to read though and works way better on mobile

#16 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:39 AM

The new site is very clean and easy to read though and works way better on mobile

Definitely. The old one used to jump about all over the shop when I typed, whereas it's now almost as easy to use the forum through a 'phone as through a PC.

#17 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

We had quite a bit of a discussion about whether to have a theme similar to the old site or to have a cleaner one and showcase the content.

Currently we have a nice clean theme with some pretty decent features. We may look at adding a little more character as we move forward.

Glad folks are using the mobile skin...

#18 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

it's now almost as easy to use the forum through a 'phone as through a PC.

I agree, and have no complaints, sorry for hijacking the thread... I was just surprised by how comfy I was with the 'warmer' colour scheme.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new site, discussion, forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge