• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

The Red Dragon Inn is a great game if you don't want to spend all night. It's about 30 min tops, and super fun.

Red Dragon Inn, eh? Isn't that a drinking game for students, though? Seriously, that's the only way I've seen people play it.

Replayability is awesome. I have a number of the expansions, and I (in a sad moment) worked out that there were well over ten million different combinations of heroes, villains and environments. Love it!

...and now I see someone else has done the math(s) already :P. Great game, highly recommended.

Hey, sadness twins! Nerd-five!

3930.jpg

#22 Kolobos

Kolobos

RPGMP3 Patron

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

A friend of mine picked up The Elder Sign... My wife enjoyed it so much she demanded we get one of our own.

She also tried that with a puppy, too... So take that as you wish.

(She lost out on the puppy, for those of you interested)

#23 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Board games, I find, are way easier to feed

#24 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

Board games, I find, are way easier to feed

Except the Cthulhu Mythos ones, they creep under your pillow and whisper "Feed me, Seymour" at night.

Which is kinda freaky, coz how did they know your middle name is Seymour?

#25 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Which is kinda freaky, coz how did they know your middle name is Seymour?

I write it on all my underwear.

#26 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

I write it on all my underwear.

Q: How does a Cthulhoid board game read the notes on your boxers?

snake_eye.jpg

A: They roll their Snake Eyes. *Badump-tishhh*

#27 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Surprised nobody mentioned Dominion. I just love that game. First time we picked it up, we started playing at 9 pm and finally stopped when we noticed the sun coming up a sixish. Also, expansions!  :laugh:

#28 Thunder

Thunder

Zealot

• Patrons
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

We played Infiltration last night. Very fun game, and not too long (maybe 45 min - 1 hr for 5-players). It's all about stealing data in a corporation and then escaping before the alarms go off. Kindof a co-opetition type game :)

#29 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

There's a zombie version of Dominon hiding somewhere on the internet called Zombinion :)

There are extra pdfs there too, complete with all expansions

Also,

http://www.kickstart...-prepare-to-die

I'd love to have a copy of this

#30 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Prepare to die seems very much like cards against humanity (mechanic wise).

P-S: If you don't know what cards against humanity is, you should try it, its awsome. The goal is to make the most hillarious combination using a shared card that has blanks on it  and cards you have in hand.

Ex: The field trip was completely ruined by ___Packman_uncontrollably_guzzling_cum____ .

#31 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Ex: The field trip was completely ruined by ___Packman_uncontrollably_guzzling_cum____ .

So that's why he's always going Waka Waka Waka.

#32 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Wouldn't that be Buka Buka Buka?  ;)

#33 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have neglected this thread for too long.

I love me some board games. I have a nice massive closet full of them. I have infected the other local YGG people into expanding their own collections and if there is a popular game I don't own, chances are the reason is that everyone else owns it instead (this is the case of me and Smallworlds, so many other people own it and expansion it is redundant for me to get it). In fact, I've been meaning to start recording when I introduce a new game, because I think there could be a bit of demand for that, or not maybe, but you never know.

Some of our favorites are Smallworlds, Red Dragon Inn (I'm the current master collector of this with all versions and expansions but Jack is catching up), Munchkin, and Cards Against Humanity which aligns far too well with our level of maturity and potty humor.

Also worth mentioning is Ticket to Ride, which is the game my family goes crazy competitive over. Simple but fun, and we've picked up an expansion board to spice things up. My mom has the highest tally of wins I believe.

Some of personal favorites and highlights in my collection are Pandemic (with the, required in my opinion, On the Brink expansion), and classics like Carcassone and Puerto Rico, which unfortunately are usually to complex for most other people to remember the rules and require some explanation, so I don't see much play. My favourite trivia game is Wits and Wagers, and Spot It is a very fun and quick reflex image-matching game that is great for almost all ages.

However, currently I'm in love with Lords of Waterdeep. Just ask @Drkladi or @drkfyre how seriously excited and in love I am with this game. It is beautiful, elegant. The fun and complexity of a euro game with mechanics that take less than five minutes to teach. The night I showed it to them and Jack and Mandy we instantly played it twice in a row, so much fun was had. And now an expansion is coming out. But this game is one of the best purchases I've made, an easy to teach game with robust mechanics, it is a fast favourite and will likely continue to be. I'm holding myself back because there is so much I could gush about this game.

#34 Drkladi

Drkladi

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Oh Mr. Lockhart, you are not the only one in love with Lords of Waterdeep.  That game is just awesome.  You can make it has hard as you want or as easy as you want.  I will too soon own that game (will I hope at least).  

#35 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

Lords of waterdeep is great :). I got the expansion this week, and am looking forward to trying out the 2 parts of it. When we play with 2 people, we remove the mandatory quests (which makes for a friendlier game), and also deal 4 quests per player to start with, discarding down to 2.

A couple of other games that have seen a lot of play in my house recently, are
Lord of the rings : The card game - a co-op or solo, players against a quest deck (it's a living card game, so every month or do, a new quest is released, along with new player cards to add to your deck). Some quests are brutally hard (particularly when playing solo), but there's a good sense of achievement when you manage to do it.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring: Deck building Game (yes, longest name ever). A very straightforward and simple deck building game. On your turn you have a choice of 5 cards from the main deck you can buy and add to your deck. Much more random (and therefore less brain straining) than dominion. Similar to ascension, but only one type of currency (so therefore a bit easier). The randomness helps even things up between experienced and less experienced players (which is a very good thing). If you like the gameplay, but not the theme, you can get basically the same game as DC comics deck building game (which is also fun, but doesn't get to have cards called 'It comes in pints?', and 'One does not simply walk into Mordor').

#36 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

I want Lords of Waterdeep and people to play it with me :(

Hal :hal:

#37 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

I want Lords of Waterdeep and people to play it with me :(

Hal :hal:

One of the things that looks amazing about Waterdeep is that it should scale particularly well for low-player count, and can be played with two players. It's easy to learn if you can convince Lindsay to spare some pity. :)

Also, smith meg brings up a good point. Lords of Waterdeep has very few "screw over" mechanics that will make you momentarily hate the other player. The worst is the mandatory quest, and even they are easy to complete and give some victory points (the worst thing is stat they count against your 1 quest per round). That being said, it's pretty easy to remove offending cards from the deck and still have a fun and varied game.

#38 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

Yeah, I miss the days when I had a lot of local gaming friends  with compatible enough schedules to get together for board game nights (and RPG nights)

#39 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Lords of waterdeep works really well for all player counts. It definately plays differently with 2 than it does wih 5, but both are a lot of fun.
We remove the mandatory quests when playing wih 2 players, to save the pain of one person drawing them all (and therefore the other person having to do them all). Which was horribly annoying the day it happened to me.

#40 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Lords of waterdeep works really well for all player counts. It definately plays differently with 2 than it does wih 5, but both are a lot of fun.
We remove the mandatory quests when playing wih 2 players, to save the pain of one person drawing them all (and therefore the other person having to do them all). Which was horribly annoying the day it happened to me.

Ah, I see, yeah that could make a frustrating game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge