50 replies to this topic

#1 Thunder

Thunder

Zealot

• Patrons
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

What games have you been playing lately?

I've taught 2 people to play Hive in the last week - http://boardgamegeek...dgame/2655/hive

What have you all been playing?

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Its been a while since we last had a board game session. I believe the last one had Nick and I trying to figure out how to play Le Havre: The Inland Port. I don't think our hearts were in it :)

We have played a bit of Talisman recently. Bringing back the wasted weekends of youth :)

Hal :hal:

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

We have played a bit of Talisman recently. Bringing back the wasted weekends of youth :)

"Wasted"? You got high on board games? Welp, guess anything's possible these days - if there's people playing Settlers of Catan and getting Wood for Sheep, then the sky's the limit. ;-)

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

I am obsessed with Smallworld and drag it out every opportunity I have. Some days I ponder just playing it by myself. Lately though my attentions have been stolen away by (finally) getting into Magic and the unholy Steam sale.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have Smallworld but I have to say that the iPad version is intoxicating in its ability to eliminate all the fiddly little tokens :)

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

I have Smallworld but I have to say that the iPad version is intoxicating [...]

*Hiccup*

#7 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm hoping to introduce the rest of the Wharties group to SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE (you have to say it in capitals) - a fantastic fun co-op superhero silver-age game. Pow! :)

#8 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

I've been interested in picking up SENTINELS. I have to admit it looks good. Is there lots of replayability?

#9 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Replay ability is very good. Each villain and environment are nice and distinct, so fighting baron blade on the mars base is very different from fighting him in megalopolis. And each combo of heroes will work together differently.
In just the base game there's 4 villains and 4 environments (so 16 games to do them all). And 10 different heroes (I'll leave the math on the combination possibilities of that up to you).

Then you add in expansions (which is inevitable) and you end up with 18 heroes, 18 villains and 12 environments. All cool, all full of flavour. :)

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

Replay ability is very good. Each villain and environment are nice and distinct, so fighting baron blade on the mars base is very different from fighting him in megalopolis. And each combo of heroes will work together differently.
In just the base game there's 4 villains and 4 environments (so 16 games to do them all). And 10 different heroes (I'll leave the math on the combination possibilities of that up to you).

Then you add in expansions (which is inevitable) and you end up with 18 heroes, 18 villains and 12 environments. All cool, all full of flavour. :)

Umm, if the recommended # of players is 4 (which is what they claim on BoardGameGeek dot com), then with 10 different heroes to choose from, and assuming no two players can play the same hero, and that you only fight one villain at a time, there should be 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 4 x 4 = 80,640 different permutations to sample.

Then you add in the expansions, which nets you 18 x 17 x 16 x 15 x 18 x 12 = 15,863,040.
Almost 16 million different games to play? That should keep Hal nice and sozzled for a fortnight, at least. :-)

#11 Thunder

Thunder

Zealot

• Patrons
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

We've also done some Mansions of Madness recently. Very fun stuff! Arkham Horror themed investigations where the investigators are under a time limit :)

http://boardgamegeek...ions-of-madness

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

I have found it difficult to get folks together to play board games. Lindsay is super tolerant on my obsessions - thankfully, but we don't really have a regular cadre of avid board gamers nearby the play with us. And the board games are so so pretty and need a loving home on my shelf :)

I want to own the full Talisman set and possibly the full set for Arkham Horror and have massive weekend long sessions of gaming gluttony...

#13 Thunder

Thunder

Zealot

• Patrons
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Our group *loves* Arkham Horror! We find playing with too many of the expansions or with more than 4 people can be a bit much, however, so we have become more choosy in how we play. We've only won maybe twice in the maybe 10+ times we've played, so it's definitely a game where losing is half the FUN ;)

I know how hard it can be to find gamers. Unfortunately for me, I have the opposite problem - I am overflowing with people to play board games with (I have a list of maybe 15-20 people I can get ahold of to play games), but I can't even get 4 other people together for RPGs.

#14 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

I know I've been not so happy with it in other posts, but I reckon Roll20 should work well for most boardgames.

#15 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

I love Arkham horror, but I've had trouble scheduling up time with my friends to sit down at a tabletop for long enough to play.

#16 Thunder

Thunder

Zealot

• Patrons
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

The Red Dragon Inn is a great game if you don't want to spend all night. It's about 30 min tops, and super fun.

http://boardgamegeek...-red-dragon-inn

We typically play it as a warmup and/or cooldown game :)

#17 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I second Red Dragon Inn. My wife-to-be saw it and insisted we buy every bit of it except for the overpriced single character booster. We haven't played it much but the two games we did have were very enjoyable. 

I have Smallworld but I have to say that the iPad version is intoxicating in its ability to eliminate all the fiddly little tokens :)

I suddenly have a reason to get an iPad

#18 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've been interested in picking up SENTINELS. I have to admit it looks good. Is there lots of replayability?

Replayability is awesome. I have a number of the expansions, and I (in a sad moment) worked out that there were well over ten million different combinations of heroes, villains and environments. Love it!

...and now I see someone else has done the math(s) already :P. Great game, highly recommended.

#19 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

The reason your moment was sad is you gave up 2/3 of the way through. You need more xpacs, sir. :P

#20 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 439 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ok. I'll definitely pick up SENTINELS :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge