File Name: Rogue417 Session 01

File Submitter: BigJackBrass

File Submitted: 20 Jul 2013

File Category: Fringeworthy

Genre: Sci-Fi
Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

Fringeworthy: Rogue 417

FringeworthyCover_zpsfd4ea831.jpg

The Whartson Hall Aethernauts tackle the laugh-a-minute setting of Rogue 417, part of Fringeworthy from Tri Tac Games. Four members of the Territorial Army are assigned to guard mysterious crates, locked in an old shop. As society crumbles under the effects of the deadly Rogue 417 virus and rumours spread that the building holds a supply of an experimental vaccine the group becomes the focus of unwelcome attention...

This game was played and recorded through Google+ Hangouts. Audio quality may be slightly reduced as a result.

The Players:

Amelia: Private Annie Mae Bullock
Nick: Captain George Alan O'Dowd
Mark: Private James Ure
Martin: Private Hugh Anthony Cregg
Jon
: The GM

Click here to download this file

#2 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hooray for new WHG! Looking very forward to listening to this. 

#3 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Huzzah, Whartson Hall returns! Also looking forward to this. Love you guys. :)

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

*waves*

We played this a little while ago but it's been on hold until the new shiny site was sorted. It's effectively a one shot (we may well return to Fringeworthy in the future, though) and worked quite well. Hope you enjoy it. Follow the link above and have a look at the Tri-Tac Games site, lots of goodies there.

#5 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Enjoying this. Not massively surprised at how little time passed before corpses were being thought of as weapons.

#6 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Some members of the group were very keen on that.... in fact, I think they started before they were corpses...

#7 Hafwit 2.0

Hafwit 2.0

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSvendborg, Denmark

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

Very fun and tense game! Thank you. :) People in containment facilities shouldn't throw cadavers.

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I've always loved games where you can be a fairly ordinary person thrown into the deep end and this scenario does that very well. Yes, there are a number of criticisms one can level at the system, but I think that the adventure is perfectly adaptable to other sets of rules, I just decided to give it a try with the original Fringeworthy game. The result was nicely claustrophobic and I was delighted with the way that the players dealt with the situation. It's rarely easy getting into a game with a pre-gen character (and here I'll express my disappointment that nobody twigged to the names right away  :D ), yet sometimes I think it can help players to try something a bit different than their usual role. That certainly happened with Nick.

There is a second scenario in the book, but it's a very different kettle of fish and perhaps less easy to adapt to a British setting. Of course, the joy of Fringeworthy is that its world-hopping premise means that there are all sorts of different ways to approach things, so maybe the Aethernauts will find themselves back in the world of Rogue 417 one day... whether they expect it or not...

#9 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yes, there are a number of criticisms one can level at the system, but I think that the adventure is perfectly adaptable to other sets of rules, I just decided to give it a try with the original Fringeworthy game.

Whilst not wanting to get into an elongated discussion about different systems I think your hands off approach to it appeared to make up for any over-crunchy rules.  It was great to listen to the Aethernauts again :)

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

It's rarely easy getting into a game with a pre-gen character (and here I'll express my disappointment that nobody twigged to the names right away  :D )

There wasn't a mustachioed pre-gen called Private Farrokh Bulsara, then? *Sadface*

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

If we'd had more players.... I also had Harry Webb waiting on the sidelines :-)

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

You could continue the tradition in other games - how about a fantasy game where one of players get to be the great wizard, Richard Salwitz? ;-)

And any character would be blessed with a name like Marvin Lee Aday.

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Can't help but feel those poor dustbin men would've stood a better chance if they'd come prepared for @Isis :-(

trashtrucks_10.jpg

http://message.snope...ead.php?t=60238

#14 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:12 AM

Definitely another system to play more of, though Jon hid most of the complicated bits from us! :)

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:15 AM

Definitely another system to play more of, though Jon hid most of the complicated bits from us! :)

You mean the 'How the players might succeed in this game' section? ;)

#16 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

This was a great one-off to play. I loved the sense of paranoia we were all developing by the end, some of us justifiably so...:D

#17 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thanks to the miracle of saved searches on eBay, along with some feverish last-second bidding, I managed to snag this little beauty last week for a fiver:

phpQPnylLAM_zps2db40e5a.jpg

It's the 1985 second edition of FTL: 2448, Tri-Tac's game of spacecraft and aliens, and inevitably looks rather primitive next to the two volume 1993 version with its fancy perfect bound colour covers, but I'm fond of these editions. This was how I first saw the games, in reviews and adverts in Space Gamer and other magazines; rarely, I glimpsed them in shops. For all of their faults (and they do have quite a number) there's something strangely appealing about the dense text, shoddy binding and wonderful Doug Blanchard art. Flicking through FTL: 2448 brought me face-to-face with the Tri-Tac system again, the same one, bar a few minor deviations, used in Fringeworthy. It left me wondering.

How much difference to you as a listener does the system really make? Obviously if it's making life difficult for the players (or the GM... *sigh*...) that's one thing, but assume that it's ticking along and not especially getting in the way or causing problems for anyone... do you care about the rules? I ask because I want to play more Tri-Tac, probably starting with a return to Fringeworthy, and my initial thought was to switch systems. That could be very easily done: there's a playtest document kicking around for Savage Worlds and I've already made a few notes for D6 and HeroQuest. I don't particularly have anything against the Tri-Tac system, though; it's just rather clunky in places (and insanely detailed in others) which can be fudged as and when required. So, if we do make a return to the many worlds of Fringeworthy how would you like to see it run?

#18 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

I personally don't mind which system is used to run something as long as it isn't interfering with the enjoyment of the players or the GM. I have found it handy to listen to some games to pick up the flow of some systems that I own but haven't played. I think the simplest thing is to go with what you and the other Wharties find fun. I enjoyed listening to the Fringeworthy game with the slight fudges.

#19 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

I agree, if the GM and players are having fun then as a listener I don't think it matters which system is used.  I don't find listening to / playing any system gives me a headache. 

#20 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Exciting news for anyone interested in Fringeworthy and other Tri Tac games! The company has at last begun to update their distribution model, which means that the most recent version of Fringeworthy is now available as a download from tritacgames.com! This has been a long time coming and is particularly good news for gamers who are not in the USA, as previously we had to pay to have CD-ROMs shipped across the globe and they quite often went astray.

The PDF has also been revised, improving the rather unwieldy old version with a smaller file size, better links and various corrections and updates. If things go well with this one then the company will apparently be looking to make the rest of their products available for download too, although inevitably it won't be a quick process.

Should you pick up a copy do let us know how it looks (I'll have to wait for payday, unfortunately); and be sure to let Tri Tac know where you heard about it  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge