Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

So, gameplay footage of upcoming Final Fantasy XV:

I'm...torn. Quite frankly, it looks fun, a very fluid system that lets you be awesome and do all sorts of mystical stuff, good environmental action. Just really beautiful over the top setting. But...it doesn't look like a final fantasy game.

When I think of final fantasy, I want a turn based RPG, variety of party members you can control, a class system of some sort. Big over world map to explore. Sure, tweaks and innovations, no game plays quite the same as the others, but that is what I expect and want from a FF title.

I just...don't like the direction the games have gone the past few years. I really wish they could put all that design effort into something that retains that old FF feel.

#2 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Call me a grognard, but as far as I'm concerned, the Final Fantasy series more or less died with the PS1. Ever since that era, SquareEnix seems to have gotten more and more sloppy, shoving in half-baked mechanics that looked better on paper than in practice, and saddling us with plots and characters that are...uninspired to say the least, hoping to get by on the name and admittedly impressive graphics alone. The only real exceptions to this rule I've found were Tactics Advance (which was fun and gave us a morally complex plot fans are still nearly killing each other over today) and XII (which had an interesting plot and a couple of good characters). XV will have to be astonishingly good to win back my faith in the series.

#3 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

I don't know if you're a grognard, alaricus, since your sentiments echo just about everyone I've ever talked to about the subject regardless of age who have played a wide selection of FF titles. There have been games in the series I've enjoyed since the PS1 era - FFXII and for me FFX-2 (which was TERRIBLE but somehow fun) - but really there hasn't been a game that felt Final Fantasy since IX. You have to admit, though, that it was one heck of a sendoff.

I remember buying consoles because of Final Fantasy and now it's just another name in the list of titles I parse with mild interest. I will say this, though, that FF game or not XV sure does look shiny.

#4 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think the best Final Fantasy games were 2 and 3 or 4 and 6 depending if you count US or Japanese. The announcement of X and X-II as HD remakes might get me to get a PS3. I've kept my PS2 though I don't play it very much lately so that I can play through a back catalog of games some day.

Nintendo, Super Nintendo and PS1 were all bought for Final Fantasy games. I am a very late adopter of anything 10+.

#5 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Last Final Fantasy I remember playing and enjoying was FFX and X-2. That's right. I liked X-2. They did things I liked there. 6 was fun though. I'm weird though because I haven't played many of the FF games people say are classics. Like 7. Never played Final Fantasy 7. No desire to.

#6 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

People who liked FFX-2 represent!

#7 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

People who have taste, gather together and stone them! (And with this, our first call for death, we become a proper discussion of Final Fantasy. :P )

#8 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Yeah. That's usually how it goes. I will point out though the outfits in FF-X2 were fabulous. I loved em.

#9 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Meh. Fanservice-y outfits ain't really my thing, and that's one of the two big draws I usually hear for the game. I will agree with you on 6, though. To my mind, that's basically the closest to perfection the series ever got. Not my favorite (that'd be 9), but certainly a great one. I actually really like 7, though. It's got problems, but it also made a lot of the tropes we see in modern RPGs, while also showcasing their flaws and playing with them in a way that games get called groundbreaking for doing today. It was my second Final Fantasy, so maybe it's just nostalgia, but I love that game. :)

#10 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

I don't even mean the fanservicey stuff so much. I just like that each outfit is different for each person in the same class. And some like the Alchemist look really really good. This is all personal preference though. I also thought the ridiculous Charlie's Angel setup was goofy and dumb in a good way.

#11 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

I can respect that. It's not like we don't all have something goofy and dumb we love to death. :)

#12 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

We have hijacked this thread to discuss FFX-2, which is kinda funny, and my contribution is that I honestly really enjoyed that battle system. Also the boobs, the midriffs, the black mage hats, and not giving a whit about the plot one stinking bit. To turn this back to the discussion of FFXV as smooth and dynamic as it looks I think I'm leery of a final fantasy game that looks like it plays kinda like God of War.

#13 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

Especially since we have a dedicated video games thread, now that I think about it...

But oh, please don't let it just be a God-of-War-alike. Please tell me that even after all this time, Japan's second most prominent RPG series isn't THAT devoid of new ideas. There's got to be more than that. I'd settle for it just playing like any other action RPG, as long as we don't go down the God-of-War-alike route.

#14 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

215126646_YBbQk-L-2.jpg

Meh. Fanservice-y outfits ain't really my thing [...]

Ah, looks like the rest of world disagrees with you, sir. Why, if you switch on your search engine of choice, you could easily find tens of thousands of pages with pictures of people who're cosplaying as Lockhart! :-D

(BTW, Carter, is your middle name "Tifa"? They all seem to use it as your nickname.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge