#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Getting the ball rolling in this category. :)

I haven't purchased a new video game in ages and I was thinking it might be time to pick something up. I have here that The Last of Us is good.

I generally play games on my consoles.

What would you guys recommend and as a side chat, what do you think about the next gen consoles? Anyone going to be pre-ordering one or both?

Hal

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Next Gen Consoles. I'm certainly not going to buy any on launch. I barely seem to play as it is, and actually find myself going more and more over to PC games, what with the cheap prices steam offers and the plethora of homages to old school SNES era games being produced, which happen to be some of my favourite games.

While Xbox has done a heel-face-turn on their anti piracy measure (which were ridiculous) I still can't find myself trusting them after that initial presentation. PS4 still seems to be a game system that shows some respect to gamers, which is encouraging, however the only game I'm interested for that I know of is the next Kingdom Hearts game. Disney owns Marvel after all, you might jump into a superhero world and have Iron Man as a party member or something.

Wii U...I don't know, maybe, still waiting for a must have game from that, not opposed to upgrading the Wii a bit.

Overall though, money is the issue, and no turn-based RPGs like the SNES era FFs mean that I'll be waiting until I get something.

Currently playing Dragon Age Origins myself, enjoying it though I'm deathly afraid of pissing my party members off.

#3 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Oh god yes. My first inclination in any RPG has always been to scour every map I can find for side quests, which in DA:O meant spending something like an hour or two listening to Morrigan get more and more disapproving of my nicer actions. It did a lot for my appreciation of her character when I didn't have to have her as a companion. ;)

As for the next-gen consoles, I'm right there with you Lockhart. I've never been a big fan of the X-Box line, myself, and the public reaction to the XBOne has kind of convinced me it'll be dead in the water before long, backpeddling and minor improvements be damned. The one I'd be most interesting in getting is the PS4, since I've been a Sony fanboy since birth and most of my favorite franchises tend to stick with them, but after their awesome presentation, I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop somehow. There's got to be SOMETHING that balances out winning that much ground in the console wars that quickly. Years down the line, I'll probably pick up the Wii U, if only because Nintendo has proven to be consistent. They may not be as flashy as Microsoft or Sony usually are, but at the end of the day, they tend to put out good quality stuff, especially given time.

Also, yes, Hal, The Last of Us is fantastic, if absolutely brutal and depressing as all hell. 

#4 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Oh god yes. My first inclination in any RPG has always been to scour every map I can find for side quests, which in DA:O meant spending something like an hour or two listening to Morrigan get more and more disapproving of my nicer actions. It did a lot for my appreciation of her character when I didn't have to have her as a companion. ;)

I'm still just really beginning it, and I made the mistake of Bringing Morrigan and Sten into, umm, Red March? W/E it's called, the town with the Arl and the supposed undead and such. Anyway, Here I am, trying to be a big damn hero, and just dropping disapproval ratings everywhere. Eventually I decided just to reload from another save point and bring a new party with me.

#5 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'm still just really beginning it, and I made the mistake of Bringing Morrigan and Sten into, umm, Red March? W/E it's called, the town with the Arl and the supposed undead and such. Anyway, Here I am, trying to be a big damn hero, and just dropping disapproval ratings everywhere. Eventually I decided just to reload from another save point and bring a new party with me.

Probably for the best, since you want to keep everyone's approval high. It might come up later. :D Just be sure to shower them with gifts if you don't take them out into the field; money's rare, but in a few cases it's definitely worth it to have them love and adore you. What'd you start out as, out of curiosity? If I'm remembering this mission right, a mage with AOE capability is well-nigh essential in parts of this mission, depending on your difficulty.

#6 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

An Elven Mage, and I got plenty of AoE. But I'm on casual difficulty, as I tend to suck at games like this, so I should be mostly fine, nothing has been too hard so far. I just have frustrations getting the AI of party members to do what I want, because I'm not yet used to swapping party members mid fight.

Gifts are good, but I'm pretty talented with the conversations. Except for Alistar. I can never tell what he wants me to say. And I suppose I really should bring him along for the Red marsh fight. Home town and all.

#7 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

And I suppose I really should bring him along for the Red marsh fight. Home town and all.

Oh, you definitely want him along. There's a lot of interesting character tidbits to be had from it. Well, that and he's an excellent meat wall from which to rain fiery-and-icy death from behind. ;)

#8 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

Well with the Steam sale I have procured numerous titles both old and new - to be perfectly frank I don't even remember everything I've picked up - but as to cracking them open to get at the juicy insides I haven't had a great deal of time. The only one I've made a serious dent in is the new Tomb Raider which is everything good and the little bit of not-as-good that I'd heard it would be. I'll come back later when I've had a chance to sit down and play things.

As for the consoles I think it's likely that IF we get one of the new consoles it will not be right away. I'm leaning towards not ever but we'll see if my very-soon-to-be wife can hold off her Halo addiction.

#9 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Being the poor, well-nigh-homeless schlub that I am, I'm enjoying the Steam sale by not buying anything and working through one of my favorite games of all time: Alpha Protocol. True, it has more bugs than it does lines of code (though considering how gut-bustingly hard it can get if you aren't specced exactly right, that's occasionally a blessing. Thank you, mystically freezing bosses that let my stealthy character stand a chance); true, there's really no point in any of the weapon trees beyond the pistol even if you aren't stealthy; true, they ran out of time and money so early on that most of their best ideas are either underutilized or not utilized at all. But despite all that, what we got was just short of amazing. It manages to have such an incredibly fun story, despite being so morally gray and high-stakes that you're perfectly justified teaming up with the most monstrous folks imaginable, because it's better than the alternative. The characters are awesome, and the dialogue often absolutely shines. And, rather disappointing last level and lack of options for stealth characters against bosses aside, the levels are generally entertaining and fairly well-designed.

So...yeah. Kind of like this game. :)

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Maybe this should be in a separate thread, but here's a recommendation for a more casual game: a short horror point-and-click adventure flash game, The Last Door.

http://www.newground...tal/view/620456

It's the first chapter in what is planned to be a series of connecting episodes, telling a frightful story in the vein of Lovecraft and Poe.

It's got a creepy old mansion, a foreboding letter from your good friend, Jackson Eli- no, not him. Some other guy. But crows! Oh dear lord, the crows... *Shudder*

The graphics are deliberately "old-timey" ( = cheaply made and ugly as balls), but the background music and SFX provide very nice ambience, and even though it's short, the difficulty level was just right (IMO) to keep it interesting, without having to resort to walkthroughs to get past any of the puzzles.

...Oh, and you start the game by committing suicide. :blink:

photo-main.jpg

#11 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Big fan of the Last Door (I helped Kickstart it), so feel the need to point out that they had to remove some of the audio and such to get the game into the right size to load onto other hosting game sites... so visit http://www.thelastdoor.com to play the full chapter... and then give them some money and unlock Chapter Two!

#12 Thunder

Thunder

Zealot

• Patrons
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

If you haven't played them yet play Mass Effect 1-3 (available on various platforms).

Amazing games, and reasonably priced now.

Other games:

Borderlands 2

Bioshock Infinite

Fallout 3

#13 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Having finished Alpha Protocol (which I maintain has the best ending ever in a semi-realistic game as one of its options), I'm actually considering doing a(nother) marathon of the Mass Effect trilogy. It's either that or trying out Champions Online, since Hal brought up the possibility of starting something there in another thread and if it ever gets off the ground I'd like to at least be able to participate. :)

I wasn't all that fond of Fallout 3, though, to be honest. The crazy morality system and a plot I found sorely lacking kind of put me off it. Fallout: New Vegas, on the other hand, I loved to death. And I've seen the entire game bundle going for $15, so it's also a fairly good deal if you haven't checked it out yet. :)

#14 Thunder

Thunder

Zealot

• Patrons
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

See I was the complete opposite. Fallout 3 totally engrossed me, and Fallout: New Vegas I've tried to play through multiple times and I just can't get into it. I blame the radio and setting. I loved the Fallout 3 setting and radio amazingly much. The cowboy thing I just couldn't get into.

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Big fan of the Last Door (I helped Kickstart it), so feel the need to point out that they had to remove some of the audio and such to get the game into the right size to load onto other hosting game sites... so visit http://www.thelastdoor.com to play the full chapter... and then give them some money and unlock Chapter Two!

Cool! Have you tried Don't Escape? It's a really short, but quite good adventure/puzzle game where you wake up in a hut, knowing you're a werewolf and the full moon's out tonight.
You need to find a way to trap yourself inside the hut and restrain the beast, or the villagers will suffer its moon-struck wrath. There are different endings, depending
on how effectively you manage to barricade yourself, but if you want to go for full marks you'll have to go on a pixel hunt, unfortunately.

http://www.newground...tal/view/619697

#16 vhesper

vhesper

No Relation

• Patrons
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

I have all but abandoned the console systems these days - though I am a big fan of Kingdom Hearts and thus will most likely end up purchasing a PS4. I have playing a multitude of PC games - from various MMOs (None that make me want to stay) to the host of Steam games under my library. Of my Steam games, Just Cause 2 is one of the funnest games I have played - what with the unlimited parachutes and grapple cables that exist in that universe. Borderlands 2 is another great one. I loved the Mass Effect trilogy, but was among the masses that thought the ending was crap. Don't escape is pretty cool - except for the dying crow. Boo dying crows! Thursday is Shadowrun Returns day, so that's my evenings for a while. :)

#17 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Have you tried playing Mass Effect 3 now that the Leviathan and extended ending DLCs are out? It's far from as great as it should have been, granted, but it's certainly expanded it from "awful" to "at least passable". :)

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

Don't escape is pretty cool - except for the dying crow. Boo dying crows! Thursday is Shadowrun Returns day, so that's my evenings for a while. :)

Err... Dying crow? In Don't Escape? Are you sure you don't mean The Last Door? There's plenty of crows (living, dead and otherwise) in that game. :-)

Also, yay Shadowrun! Have you listened to the Fandible gamers' Shadowrun session? It is epic!

http://www.fandible....go-part-1-of-2/

#19 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Oh snap! Shadowrun is this week?! Finally!

I just beat the new Tomb Raider and it was deliciously awesome from start to finish. Though it's hardly new I have been coerced into Civ V which is not RTS, as I had originally thought, and is impressively capable of destroying large chunks of time. 

Monaco was picked up by several of my crew and as it turns out it is a stupid amount of fun. Either things go right and you all feel like total badasses or things go wrong and you can't stop laughing about it. Big recommendation.

And it sound like another person has acquired Blood Bowl which means we just might have enough for a small league. That excites me enough to be willing to play Blood Bowl again and deal with it's g*****n b*****t! (Can we swear on the new forum? I know we used to but I don't know if we're supposed to behave and attract new users?)

#20 alaricus

alaricus

Kobold

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:52 AM

I so wish I could pick up Civ V and play a few rounds with someone unfamiliar enough with the series that I stand a vague chance. For someone who's been playing video games all his life, I really suck at most of them. ;) Glad to hear that Tomb Raider was good, though. I'd been worried about that. It's another one of those franchises that died ages ago and has had it's corpse turned into a marionette by money-grubbing soulless corporate shills. Not that I'm at all bitter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge